Looking for mechanic for replacement engine

Started by kage, February 10, 2016, 07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kage

Hello all!

Been quite a while since I've been on the forum (74 Brave).  I had a major engine (Dodge 440-3) meltdown a little over two years ago, the engine was completely trashed and could not be rebuilt.  I had hoped to find a replacement and install it myself.  That's unrealistic for my schedule, my (minimal) mechanical skills, etc. I haven't given up hope though.  I still love the bago and am hoping to find someone to help locate an engine and install it. I think the best solution will be to hire someone experienced. A lot of you are experienced and some embrace the wandering lifestyle.

I will pay reasonable mechanics wages for all parts of the work. Also I live a bit off the road and can provide a hookup for your rig while you do the work. It needs to be someone experienced and comfortable with engine replacement. Don't have much in the way of serious tools but I do have an engine hoist. It has been sitting so I assume there will be other issues too.

Basically I just want to get it on the road again. I'm in Santa Cruz, California just about the middle of the state right near the ocean.

CoastalWinnebago

Kage,

Sorry to hear about your blown 440.  I live in Santa Cruz and own a 73 Brave D18.  I have been looking for a qualified and reasonable mechanic in the area for months.  Most places that do any RV work in Santa Cruz want to charge >$120 per hour for the work.  Others, that I have contacted simply dont respond or are not interested on working on a vehicle of this age.

If you are able to find someone that would commit to doing your work, I also have some work that I would like to have done, so perhaps if the person is traveling, we can entice them with more potential hours.

-Derek

SLEETH

hey guys = if I lived In the neighborhood id  love to work on these beauties , just for room and board = but I live up with the eskimo's, sorry

legomybago

I'd do the work on the side.....I live in Southern Oregon. Not sure anyone on this forum is near me?
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

kage

Well good to know that someones interested even though we are too far away. And now there is additional work to sweeten the pot. Maybe someone should move here and open a bago garage.  By the way if you know anyone who would be interested who doesn't read this particular thread, please pass along.
Derek, I sent you a PM yesterday.

LJ-TJ

Hey Lads I understand if you don't have the time. But if you could explain what's wrong most of us can coach you through the project. Hey Kage what exactly do you need fixed. Hm?

SLEETH

LJ-TJ

Well it's really not that hard to do. If he had the tools it shouldn't take but half a day to pull the engine and a half day to put the new one in.

California - Monterey Bay
Dodge 440 engine trans http://monterey.craigslist.org/pts/5393193223.html

California - Redding
440 and 727 torqe flight trans http://redding.craigslist.org/pts/5429729258.html

SLEETH

he says he doesn't have time because of his work schedule

Rickf1985

Half a day? The older ones must be a LOT easier than the new ones!!! It also sounds like he does not have a lot of tools, like no air tools and possibly no heavy duty jacks and the like. That is what is going to make it tough for someone on the move to just stop by and do the work. You basically need a fully equipped work van.

Rickf1985

And if you are driving your RV are you going to be running back and forth to the rental store and hauling large equipment in the RV?

SLEETH

no, that's why they invented trailers so they can be towed behind your rv its called modern science

LJ-TJ

Hey Rick, Yep! they are a lot easier to pull the engine out of than the new ones. I don't know how you guys work on those new ones. You can get away with an engine hoist. Lots of penetrating oil, socket set it bar and maybe a small Harbor Freight jack. Real quick you pull the front bumper, rad, pull the one front frame member ove course all the little kitty things. Two bolts on the engine mount, unbolt the tranny and pull her out the front. How do I know because that's how I pulled mine.NO I'm not a mechanic never did anything like this before. I don't know what happened but back when I did mine there were a great bunch of guys on here that held my hand and walked me through the hole project. I couldn't believe I did it myself. What ever happened to those guys I don't know. Haven't seen them on here for a long long time. Hm?

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

kage

Appreciate the enthusiasm, but I truly can't do this project. There is currently no engine. I would be happy to take a bid so anyone who could replace it that fast could do extremely well.

LJ-TJ

Hey Dave, If you don't know by now how much I've appreciated the endless number of times you've baby sat me and helped me work through the many projects. Thank you, thank you. I've already set aside a sizable sum of funds to cover all the Special Crown Royal or all the Bud we can drink one weekend. We'll see you at Jimco's one of these years soon I hope. :)clap

cosmic

when i swapped out my rad last year I was looking at what it would take to get the 440 out of there and back in. with a set of tourches you could make quick work of the bolts and replace with new ones.
thats the bigest fight is those old 40 year old rusted bolts.. I wouldnt even think about it. new bolts. engine out in half day as TJ said :)ThmbUp
P.S. and Dave you saved my bum a while back when my booster failed.. and I was State side at Darrian Lake. even helped me locate one.. Your a blessing to this sight...thank you..

JerryP

Quote from: kage on February 10, 2016, 07:52 PM
Been quite a while since I've been on the forum (74 Brave).  I had a major engine (Dodge 440-3) meltdown a little over two years ago, the engine was completely trashed and could not be rebuilt.  I had hoped to find a replacement and install it myself.  That's unrealistic for my schedule, my (minimal) mechanical skills, etc.

You have had two years, 1, or 2 hours a week would be about 100-200 hours, for a 20-40 hour job.
You can order crate engine nearly ready to bolt in, and hang the accessories in.
There is always time if you take the time to make it.
Most of these jobs tend to take longer to think about, and decide, than to actually do.
Getting the engine in, and out would be the hardest part, physically, and the rest can be done by following the engine models service manual.
Not to insult people who actually do this sort of work, as I am one of them, but have you seen some of the guys that do this sort of work??
How hard could it be??
Seriously, I am not sure how some of these people in the trades manage to get to work, and find their way home.
Plus, for 120 per hour labor, you can afford to screw up a lot of stuff, and still come out ahead.

Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress