Elecrical problem with blinkers and brakelights. 78 dodge

Started by Jarch69, January 29, 2016, 01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarch69

I have a 78 dodge Minnie Winnie. When I purchased my it three years ago I noticed that the front driver side turn signal stayed lit solid and did not blink when using the signal. Recently it started working however now the driver side brake light and turn signal do not function whatsoever. I tried changing the bulb and it did not solve the problem. I am guessing I have a short? I have no idea where to start with troubleshooting this issue. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any advice.

SLEETH

sounds like it could be a defective turn signal switch

Rickf1985

Have you checked the grounds at the lights? Aside from a bad bulb of coarse.

Jarch69

could a defective turn signal switch make my brake lights stop working? I will check the ground connection today.

Rickf1985

It could but check the easy and common problems first. The turn signal switch will usually go bad all around, not just on one light.

tiinytina

The fuses for turn signals are separate from brakes etc Left vs right ... I would look at  your fuses first.   On one of my cars if say the rear turn signal light burnt out the front one would come on and not blink or blink hyper fast (before blowing the fuse sometimes)... 

Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Jarch69

all good advice I am at work right now but I will check all of these things when I get off work today thank you everyone for replying

Jarch69

I found the problem. It was a loose light bulb socket in the rear light. I just squeezed the metal housing a bit tighter so the bulb would fit snug and problem solved!

Rickf1985

Bad ground, there you go. The outer case is the ground. 95% of all electrical issues can be tracked to a bad ground.

TerryH

Quote from: Rickf1985 on January 29, 2016, 01:04 PM
It could but check the easy and common problems first. The turn signal switch will usually go bad all around, not just on one light.

Good advice for any problem. Glad your repair was relatively easy.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore