Low LP Gas Pressure

Started by 87Itasca, January 18, 2016, 09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

87Itasca

Hi all,

On my '87 Windcruiser, according to the leak detector gauge, my line pressure is considerably lower than what is the "norm". From what I have read, I should get 11 inches of water column. From time to time, mine will read that, but usually I hover around 5 inches of water column with nothing running, and about 4.7 inches of water column when the furnace is running. The only propane thing I am running right now is the furnace, but it does work fine, despite the pressure. My gauge only goes up to 8 inches, but sometimes the needle spins all the way around to just before the pin under "0", which would lead me to assume 11 inches of water column.

Would this be a faulty regulator assembly? I have no idea how old this one is, so replacing it wouldn't be a bad idea. I've read I need to have it done at a dealership so it can be adjusted properly. Is this correct?

RANGERRICK

It sounds like you have a bad regulator.You can replace it your self,the regulator is preset.Do not forget to check for leaks after you install it.

87Itasca

Oh good, glad to hear. I have a two stage regulator installed, is there anything specific I need to look for, or will any two stage regulator that looks the same as mine work?

This is my first RV, so a lot of this is learn-as-I-go, thankfully I'm pretty good around a toolbox, which is helpful with this stuff, I just haven't messed with propane systems that much.

MotorPro

Your gauge that goes up to 8 is psi. There should be set of smaller numbers outside of those that go higher..those are inches of water.

87Itasca

You are correct, my mistake. The dial is somewhat faded and I didn't see the numbers in red (really light pink now). It's holding at 9 inches of water at the moment. It drops slightly when the furnace kicks on, which I suppose is to be expected.

RANGERRICK

You need to get a double stage regulator with the vent facing down when it is mounted.

Rickf1985

And the regulators are position specific, horizontal or vertical so take note of how your regulator is positioned and be sure to get the same one. If yours is original the newer one will probably be smaller but still work the same.

87Itasca

Hi all,

Replaced my regulator this morning, all went well with the install. One thing worth noting , is that I am running at 13.4" of water column with no load, and about 12.4 with the furnace running. I was under The impression that 11" of water column is correct; that it should be no more than 12". The gentleman I spoke with when I purchased it said the unit is preset, and not adjustable. Should I not worry? Or is it defective?

yellowrecve

When was the last time the gauge was tested for accuracy?
RV repairman and builder of custom luxury motor homes, retired, well, almost, after 48 years.

87Itasca

August of 1986, I would imagine. :D

bluebird

I wouldn't trust that gauge at all,mater of fact I'd paint it black.

EldoradoBill

It's not a gage, t's a leak detector. The numbers on the dial are really meaningless, what you are looking for is if the pointer drops (which indicates a leak).

Bill