Radiant Heat In Coach Floor Under Vinyl

Started by CoastalWinnebago, January 13, 2016, 03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoastalWinnebago

Had the idea today to consider installing radiant heating in the floor of the coach in the hallway section.  There are many inexpensive in floor mats that are around 5'-18" that would fit nicely (link below).  They are 120V, but I am not sure on the actual power usage. 

Has anyone installed such a thing (search query came up with nothing)? 
Would anyone know if this could be more efficient than running the LP heater?
What would be the best approach to wiring this?

I will primarily be using my D18 as a surf wagon, so after surf warm floors would be amazing after a cold pacific ocean surf.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ThermoSoft-WarmFilm-5-ft-x-18-in-120-Volt-Floor-Heating-Film-Covers-7-5-sq-ft-18FF120-5/203993049

Rickf1985

83 watts so less than an amp each and they can be combined for larger area. Neat idea but I don't know how they would like salt water. I am assuming you have shore power? Generator would work but at .5 gallon per hour for them smallest one I have seen that could get pricey.

M & J

M & J

Rickf1985

I like it and I am going to look into it a bit more since my carpet is shot anyway.

Elandan2

Lots of high end rigs come with heated floors. Even Winnebagos  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

MotorPro

Rickf1985

It does not mention vinyl but it does say it can be put over polystyrene foam underlaymant so it must not get very hot. I would think that if it will not harm the foam it would not harm the vinyl.

kansascat

My question would be, do they just make the floor feel warm, or will they actually heat the living space? My take on them after reading the ad is they just make the floor feel warm to your feet versus a cold floor, but at the wattage they use and the fact they can lay on styrene insul without harm, i cant see them putting of much actual "heat" to the air space above them. Anyone actually have them and able to fill us in on them?

legomybago

Everybody I know who has "heated" bathroom floors in there home, say it was a waste of money.  W%
In our RV, we have purgo style floors now, and they get REALLY cold because of poor insulation. You can feel the cold just come up through (carpet/padding was much warmer). I could see a heated floor in the winter time in the RV as really nice. We could have used that this last Thanksgiving camping in 18 degree weather!!!
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Rickf1985

Quote from: kansascat on January 14, 2016, 11:38 AM
My question would be, do they just make the floor feel warm, or will they actually heat the living space? My take on them after reading the ad is they just make the floor feel warm to your feet versus a cold floor, but at the wattage they use and the fact they can lay on styrene insul without harm, i cant see them putting of much actual "heat" to the air space above them. Anyone actually have them and able to fill us in on them?

I am thinking if you used a whole 160 sq/ft. then yes it would provide space heat but it is going to be a lot more than 83 watts! 1770 watts = 16.1 amps. That changes things a little.