Brake Light Conversion To LED: No Brake Light

Started by CoastalWinnebago, January 12, 2016, 11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoastalWinnebago

I converted my rear tail lights from normal square tail lights that worked ok if they were well grounded to the coach body.  The lights worked with running lights on, reverse light, turn indicator, and break application.  Both sides of the RV included two wires, one that is for running lights, and the other that works for the turn indicator and break (i assume). 

When I installed the LED (link included below) the running lights and turn indicators work fine.  BUT, when I apply the breaks, there is no change in the lighting getting brighter.  Do I need to install a voltage regulator? I dont think the break light switch is the issue since it worked with the previous lights.

Thoughts?

LED replacements:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0069TND14?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

Rickf1985

The turn signal and brake work on the same wire so if the turn signal works then the brake light should. Are you sure you got your wiring correct? If you have separate turn signals from the brake lights then you may have to install diodes and wire the brake wire into the turn signal wire. If you wire them in without diodes then when you put on a turn signal both sides will flash and when you put on the brakes the power will probably feed back and light up the indicators on the dash and maybe even the front signal lights.

Piraterik

You have Purchased a
RED LIGHT BAR (WATERPROOF)As it shows A Blk wire (Hot),   A Wht wire (Ground Wire) ,  and a Green Ground wire.
It does, just as stated, it is either a turn signal, or a brake light, or a marker light.
BUT Cannot be used as all three together.  Unless it has additional Wires and

bulb configuration.

Rickf1985

It say's Stop, Tail AND Turn light. I don't think you are going to have two ground wires. One will be for tail lights and the other will be for bright lights. The third will be the ground.
LED's that have only one function have only two wires, hot and ground. Two function, three wires, high, low and ground. I have put many of those on trucks. Not this style but same principal.

CoastalWinnebago

My understanding is that this LED light is a Running, Turn signal, and brake light. 

The LED light has three wires: Black (running) Green (Blinker) and White (ground).  I have wired the system in either connection combination of the black and green (always keeping white grounded) with no change to the light when the breaks are depressed, but turn indicators still working.

I am perplexed on this one. Thanks for the comments.

Rickf1985

On your rear lights do your brakes and turn signals use the same light? Should be a 1157 bulb? If that is the case and the turn signals work then the brakes should work, the power comes through the same wire. Have you checked the fuses? Do you have a trailer hitch and trailer plug? If so check one of the new lights at the wires there AFTER verifying that the power is coming out with the brakes on.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Red the comments on the link to the LED Bar product   D:oH!
White wire is ground.
Black wire is running light
green is brake/turn.

Now on the Winne side
Brown is for tail (Black on LED bar)
Right Turn/Brake is Dark Green  (Green on right side LED bar)
Left Turn/Brake is Yellow with a black stripe (Green on left side LED bar)
Ground is chassis ground (White wire on LED bar)
[move][/move]

CoastalWinnebago

I removed the LED lights, re-installed the original lights to see if break was illuminating.  Same situation as the LEDs.  Running light works, blinkers work, no break.  So I ordered a new break light switch to install.  Hopefully this solves the problem.  Perhaps my installation somehow did damage to the old break light switch.   I also checked all the fuses, no problems there.

legomybago

Take a block of wood and set it on or against the brake pedal to simulate you pushing on the brakes. Take your 12 volt Automotive test light and start tracing power, starting at the brake light switch in your case. Sounds to me like your brake lights haven't been working for awhile... ???
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Rickf1985

Did you check the power going into and out of the brake light switch? Just bypass the switch and see if the brake lights come on. jump the wires at the switch.

Elandan2

I just had to replace the wire from my brake switch to the steering column.  I couldn't find any damage or corroded connectors, but there must have been corrosion in the wire somewhere.  I found it by checking the amperage through the wire.  The wire would carry 12 volts but not enough power to light the brake lights.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

CoastalWinnebago

Well, I solved this one over the weekend.  The PO was clearly not an electrician!  Someone attempted to wire in the trailer wiring directly to the wire from the break light switch.  However the wiring job was so poor that it had caused some type of short in the system.  I cleaned up the wires, waterproof sealed them, and got them taped up in a protected area.

Problem solved, no new switch needed, just needed the wiring to be fixed.