Need 1973 Brave Headlight Assembly & wiring info

Started by CoastalWinnebago, January 04, 2016, 05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoastalWinnebago

Does anyone have the part number, link, or any type of reference number for the headlight ASSEMBLY.  A wire diagram for the headlights would be beneficial also.

My drivers side headlight assembly wiring has been ripped out (not sure how this happened, I just purchased the rig) and essentially there is only one RED wire sticking out the back of the headlight assembly. 

The headlight doesn't work, and I am not sure if I need a new headlight assembly or if I can just rewire this one to the working passenger side headlight. Note: the adjacent blinker is wired and working correctly.

Thanks in advance for the help!

LJ-TJ

I stand to be corrected but I believe there's a wiring diagram for your headlight in the Dodge Chassis manual. I think you can down load the manual from this site. Hm?

CoastalWinnebago

Yes you are correct there is a wiring diagram in the chassis manual.  However, in that wiring diagram there is no call out for the headlight assembly part number.I looked closer again and there are no other wires in the vicinity.  I suppose I could just splice in a new red and black wire from the passenger side to the driver side if I can get the new assembly.

As an aside, why is the attachment file size so limited for posting.  Its nearly impossible to get a file that is less than 250KB.

khantroll

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't our headlights standard 7 inch circular seal beams? That's what they look like to me, at any rate. If that's the case, then they can be had at any auto parts store.

Wait for some one else to chime in, because I may be way off base.

joev

nope you are right just a normal seal beam and the plug for it is available at any autoparts store not a real issue to repair or replace

CoastalWinnebago

Yes, the headlight itself (the bulb if you will) is a standard 7 inch.  And yes the wiring receptacle H4 plug can be found online or at an auto parts store.

What I am looking for is the metal base/socket that the bulb seats off in.  There is damage to this part such that it won't hold a new female H4 pulg, or the metal o-ring that holds the bulb in the socket.

Rickf1985

There should be three wires for the headlight. High beam, low beam and ground.

On edit, H4 in 73?

joev

so what you are looking for is the headlight pot or headlight bowl and trim ring

Rickf1985

I'm LOST! i?? i?? i?? I thought is was wiring?

joev

Froggy1936

Coastal I have two buckets with halogen bubs and rertaining rings you can have for $10.00 + shipping let me know  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

CoastalWinnebago

Frank to the rescue! Thank you much for the offer Frank.  I will PM you with my information. 

I will need to use the pot, with a new wiring female receptacle (purchased on amazon), and new wiring to the existing passenger side light that is working. 

Oz

Quote from: CostalWinnebago on January 05, 2016, 12:50 AM
... why is the attachment file size so limited for posting.  Its nearly impossible to get a file that is less than 250KB.

No it's not nearly impossible.  It's VERY easy.  For example, I just took Frank's 174kb image and made it 15kb.  And... the size is limited because people attach images that are megabytes in size, which suck up server disc space and bandwidth like crazy and that all has to be paid for.  Read the post on resizing images on the Help with Forum Features board.  That will show you how easy it is.

Also, please read the message posting rules.  Particularly, "telling titles"  You'll see I took the time to change every reply to this topic so it had meaning.

;)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

CoastalWinnebago

Tackled this project this weekend.  I was able to find the drivers side wiring, and wired in a new female wiring harness.   I did some repair to the headlight housing and was able to successfully get the headlight working again.  In addition to the new harness, I cleaned up the wiring and utilized some eternabond tape to get the wires adhered to the body and protected. 

In addition, I added some new Sylvania Silverstar headlight that seem to be much brighter than the previous lights.

Thanks all for your suggestions and help. One fix off the list!