Air Lift Air Springs Full System

Started by CoastalWinnebago, December 09, 2015, 04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoastalWinnebago

Hey all, first timer here, thanks in advance for helping to answer my questions.  Also, thanks for the wealth of knowledge on these forums.  I am very close to buying a 1973 Brave D18 with a Dodge 318 M300 chassis and the chassis/coach manuals are indispensable.

My question is regarding the air lift systems (air bags) that are currently available.  I see many websites that offer the REAR system, but I can't seem to find fronts.  Reading through the forum it seems that there was a 4 bag system with a pump offered awhile ago.  Anyone know where/if this kit may still be purchased?

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/air-lift-air-springs/7826D

Reference to an old forum discussion: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,898.msg906.html#msg906

Im all for a spirited drive, but driving the rig I am considering purchasing was a bit scary. I am very comfortable driving all shapes and sizes of vehicles, but I want something more user friendly for my Wife and Family to be able to drive. It seems like air suspension is the best option.  I will be doing a great deal of mountain and coastal driving along Northern California and need the extra stability.  I also like the idea of being able to potentially raise the coach an extra inch in case I need to clear something.  In addition, I like the idea of having a self levelling option.

Rickf1985

The one you link to is not what you think. It is a supplemental air bag system that goes on in addition to the springs to increase the weight carrying capacity and will do little if anything in the way of raising the vehicle. It may go up an inch max but doubtful and it would have NO suspension travel on that side. I don't think the Dodge based motorhomes ever used it but I have the Jet Ride air suspension system on the rear of my 89 Chieftain. That is a Chevy P30 based coach though. That system uses full air bags like buses or truck tractors and has a track rod to locate the rear axle. The front is coil spring with air bags inside of the springs.

CoastalWinnebago

Rick,

Thanks for the response, I understand what you are saying.  It makes sense that you can't adjust the height of the vehicle when the suspension system uses springs and shocks. 

Disregarding lifting, I am still wondering if air bags are possible on the front to help with stability? The supplemental air bag system is what I am interested in as a primary approach to improve the ride/drive stability.

As an aside, the controller system is here for others that may be interested in four corner air bag automatic leveling (>$1000 usb)

https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/25430/

DaveVA78Chieftain

Airlift and Firestone both stopped producing front airbags for the Dodge Class A chassis several years ago.  Have not seen a pair 4 sale for the front for several years.
[move][/move]

CoastalWinnebago

Thanks Dave,

Are there other alternatives to improving steering and overall stability in the front end other than the following:

1: Check Kingpin
2: New Shocks
3: New leaf springs
4: Check Tie Rod Ends

The RV I am contemplating purchasing is a 72 D18 with about 30,000 miles on it.

DaveVA78Chieftain

You need to also need to check the play in the steering box.    Use the site search feature for info on how to do that and adjust if necessary.
[move][/move]

Froggy1936

If you are mechanicly inclined I believe you could make a rear air bag system for a Chevrolet  P30 leaf spring  Work on your frt leaf springs You will have to design the mountings . And work within the travel range of the P30 rear springs But there is nothing that cant be accomplished if you want to do it !  Look at a P30 with added air bags and then go from there ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

If all of those are good then stability should be good. Springs especially can cause problems if the bushings are worn or cracked or the springs are fatigued.  Leaf spring front ends are usually pretty stable. You could add a track bar but you would have to design it yourself and make sure the geometry is correct so no binding occurs throughout the suspension travel. Tire pressures can have a lot to do with it also as can the quality of the tire. I am not real familiar with the Dodge front ends but if they do not have a sway bar then add one and also a steering stabilizer. A rear stabilizer makes a big difference in the rolling feeling.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Frank, this is a Dodge M300 chassis, not a GM P30
[move][/move]

Froggy1936

I understand that reread the post ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

CoastalWinnebago

Thanks all for the comments.  Creating a new, mechanically sound, mounting bracket for the front to retrofit seems like a huge time commitment.  Ill chase down the other actionable improvements before I get into that and hopefully the driving is improved.