ignition module leaking

Started by jeachen, December 01, 2015, 01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeachen

I was in the process of putting a new exhaust manifold gasket on my 440 and I noticed that my ignition module is leaking all the black epoxy out of it down my transmission bellhousing...  Should I buy a new module or do they sell the epoxy to refill it with?

Should I replace anything else while im at it? only has 35k miles on it and everything looks original.

Why do they leak the epoxy?

1977 Georgie Boy Cruise Air 28 footer, 440, 727, 35k miles

LJ-TJ

Yep! Just replace it and while your at it, I'd replace the ballast resistor, and for the extra ? $80.00 dollars for the Electronic Ignition Module I'd replace it while I was at it. . But I'm one of those guys that would sooner error on the side of caution rater than wait until it breaks down out on the highway. Shoot I'm one of those guys that when I burn out a head light I replace both at the same time.

legomybago

Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Rickf1985

I am surprised it is still running! usually it has shorted out by this point.

legomybago

When I went to look at a 1978 Diplomat RV for sale, it had a melted module. I found it immediately when I looked down at the motor through the dog house. It took me a few to figure out what the melted crap was that had dripped down all over the transmission bell housing?? It's a hard plastic substance I thought? I pulled the module so I could see behind it, and whalla. Napa had one in stock. The seller was awe struck that I found it, he had the RV towed to where it was sitting because it died on road, we could see a piece of tow strap still hooked to the front leaf spring...It was one of the reasons we were able to pick the rig up for cheap. It did fire up and run with the melted module though, How long is the question????

jeachen

I used a flashlight to look at the back of the box from the top and it has zero epoxy left in it!  I just drove this at 70 mph for an hr to my house and it never missed a beat!

DaveVA78Chieftain

When you replace it, I would be interested in what Brand name is on it if still readable.  Not supposed to do that.
[move][/move]

jeachen

I would imagine its original whoever made those. It has a chrome sticker on the top of it that says electronic ignition in red writing.

jeachen

Also has a chrysler emblem on it!  Just went out and looked!

Rickf1985

I restore antique military vehicles and the M-151 series 1/4 tons used a Prestolite electronic ignition module inside the sealed distributor and they were doing the same thing, the epoxy was turning to mush and they were shorting out. I wounder if it is the same company? They started with those modules in around 73-74.

legomybago

The one I pulled off the 1978 Diplomat looked to be original if I remember right....I'm pretty sure it had the Chrysler crest on it. Seems like the replacement new part was only 25 bucks or so...

Rickf1985

Possibly original but Chrysler did not make their own electronics back then I don't believe.

LJ-TJ

I agree. :)ThmbUp I think Chrysler just put their logo on it.

bluebird

Don't remember for 100% but I think Chrysler did make their own electronic ignition. I never seen a module like that on any other car, and I worked on many cars back then. And I believe they were the first to incorporate electronic ignition. I know they were at least one year maybe two years ahead of GM. Chrysler had more of a problem starting than GM or Ford, so they came out with the electronic ignition, and it did help. I bought a new Road Runner in Aug of 68, and my neighbor had a new Sport Fury with the 318. We both had problems starting when the temps got below 20 degrees. My second car was a 64 Volkswagen and it never failed to start. Didn't have no heat, but it always started. I think Chrysler came out with their electronic ignition in 1972 or 73.  GM didn't come out with the HEI until 1975, and their module was in the distributor. I still used the HEI pickup in my race cars until I sold the last one in May of this year. I still have a few HEI distributors out in the garage. I had a 1972 Chrysler Town and Country 9 passenger wagon back in 74 when I was motorcycle racing, man what a car. That thing would just float along at 75/80 mph like nothing, pulling 3 bikes on a trailer. We just couldn't under stand why we couldn't keep tires on the trailer :D :D . I know now. Can you imagine how fast those little 8" tires were running.  :D