Winterizing, what is really necessary?

Started by shortbus, November 24, 2015, 06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shortbus

Going into my first winter with my first RV I have been checking out sites and youtube videos on RV winterizing. They make it sound very crucial to blow out the whole system with compressed air and then filling the entire system with RV antifreeze. Some say you can skip blowing out the system with air, but advise against it. If you are filling it back up with antifreeze what difference would that make? My Fleetwood uses 100psi plastic plumbing, is filling it all up with antifreeze really necessary? I can see dumping some in the P traps and maybe a bit in the bottom of each holding tank, but if the system is drained how much water could be left? Is it really going to expand enough to hurt anything? My RV has 4 drains, one hot and one cold at a low point on each side of the wheelwell. My last dump I opened all 4, the faucets, and the hot water tank vent and drove 15 mins back home. I feel the system is pretty empty. Is this not enough to prevent damage to my plumbing? I feel like this is just a big scam to sell RV antifreeze and to get extra work for RV service centers.

Froggy1936

I agree with your assessment, I have 6 drains I open them all and run the pump (due to I have had mud wasps plug them up) The pump pressure will open them I remove my spray handle at the toilet (lost 1 the first year with the new toilet) Open the blow off at the hot water tank Remove the filter from the full size filter housing (lost one of those after 1st installation) Use 1 gal of drained A/F from my vehicles (saved at time of repairs) Into the sink drains and the shower some into both tanks Have had no problems in 18 years (other than the learning curve) with freezing & do not have to flush the system in the spring  Just close the drains and refill !All the drain A/F goes out with the first dump ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

tiinytina

Filling Gone's hot and cold lines after draining the HW tank and opening the bypass takes about 1 gal of pink stuff... also open grey and black lines over bucket or dump station after to make sure end of line is empty or at least pinkish.   first trip of spring I hook up to water open it all up and let it run for a good while to remove the smell.  FW tank drained completely no pink added to it. 
    Slowly replacing all the Butyl lines with Pex as getting some wear  throughs at rub spots here and there.  Newer rigs are designed to low point drain and some already have air hose hook ups built in. 
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

shortbus

Bnova

I think he's thinking you'll be fixing water leaks in the spring.

Rickf1985

No, I figured someone would be commenting on using ethylene glycol antifreeze in the system.

Bnova

Quote from: Rickf1985 on November 28, 2015, 03:20 PM
No, I figured someone would be commenting on using ethylene glycol antifreeze in the system.

My mistake, sorry Rick and Shortbus, I get it now.  I didn't know if I was reading that correctly.  Just assumed he meant the RV stuff, but maybe not eh?

Froggy1936

Just to clarify,  i?? It is only used in the drains & holding tanks . The fresh water system is just drained ,  :)ThmbUp No anti freeze of any type installed . ;) Frank

joanfenn

I read drains also not fresh water system.  That won't hurt anything.

EldoradoBill

It does hurt something. It's poisonous to the environment, destroys septic systems and pollutes drinking water supplies. It needs to be responsibly recycled not dumped at a dumping station.

Bill

Froggy1936

Bill i have to dissagree My 1 gal of used Antifreeze is not going to cause any problem , As a Service manager @ a dealer I checked with the local sewerage operators about putting anti freeze down the drain They said no problem as long as it is slowly added and not a large amt at one time !  circa 1972   anyhow  Best Winterizing MethodInsert ignition key and turn until engine starts.

• Put unit in gear and point front end of RV towards south.

• Push accelerator pedal until you see palm trees.

• Stop and enjoy!

• Source: Good Sam Camping  Frank

Rickf1985

""As a Service manager @ a dealer I checked with the local sewerage operators about putting anti freeze down the drain They said no problem as long as it is slowly added and not a large amt at one time ! ""

Yea, But Frank, How many years ago was that? It used to be considered safe to discharge an A/C unit into the air and dump waste oil on dirt roads. Things change. I had to constantly take training on environmental hazards and Hazmat at work up til I retired last year. It is absolutely amazing what is regulated now, and it is national, not just locally. If you were caught putting any amount of anti freeze at all intentionally into a public sewer system the fines are astronomical. Look at the great lengths the emergency services go to at an accident scene to prevent any fluids whatsoever from reaching storm drains.

DRMousseau

"WHAT??? The rum is GONE!?!? Why is the rum gone??? You dumped it WHERE?!?!"
Time to find them palms and get more rum!!!

And Frank,... don't pee behind the RV either. Haz-Mat teams are costly and will respond to jus about any call and inquiry today. And don't let 'em know you dumped the rum you used for antifreeze either. I think a certain unnamed politician recently caught heck for dumping their RV in a storm drain.

Since I live year around in "my rolling upstairs apartment", I tend to fight the occasional frozen line or drain in cold sub-freezing weather. This was a much greater problem with the grossly exposed systems of the ol' Winnebago, than the same systems of my current Cruise Air II. Still, this years battle will be against SUB_ZERO weather, as I winter over along the NORTHERN Coasts of Michigan!!!! Fortunately, all the systems of my RV are rather "unexposed" to the elements. Even the waste system is enclosed in a protective bunk that allows for a bit of heating with little more than a lightbulb to stay above freezing.

Many here who winterize, jus drain everything as dry as possiable,... even disconnecting low lines and blowin' 'em out a bit. Drain traps are filled generously with "sugar-shine" or what have you, and lightly plugged to prevent odors as much as possible. Most (myself included), tend to be more concerned of their batteries, fuel systems, engine coolants and anything that may be stored in critical areas for the winter. If these freeze, it can be REAL costly and/or messy!!!! I make room for paint, caulks, sealants, tapes and other critical stuff I carry, inside for the winter, shifting summer clothes and other unneeded summer items into their more vulnerable place among the exterior bunks. Battery operated tools and such come inside,... even my li'l Argon tank and e-bike battery have an inside corner of comfort for winter.

Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

TerryH

Just curious - why do you carry a tank of Argon with you?
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

DRMousseau

hehehe,... I also carry an Everlast tig/stick 120/220 welder, with a small assortment of wire and rods too!!! I do need a small tank of helium though for some aluminum repairs. My "garage" is the front bunk straight thru from one side to the other. Carries all my tools, and equipment, some bicycle and e-bike parts, oils and fluids, and other garage stuff (no need for mower or garden stuff though, LoL!). Jus got an early Christmas gift of a portable scaffold/work bench that slips in there too! Lets me reach all the way to the roofline to clean windows, replace clearance lightbulbs and makes a nice bench under the canopy for other work.

This is my home! A 34' rolling "upstairs" apartment! And I'm fortunate to have a nice storage "basement" too!!! I do take serious advantage of my heavy load capacity though. But always nice having everything to be able to help other's with minor needed repairs too!!! Welded a nice garden cart for son-in-law this summer. And a custom receiver hitch for his garden tractor to move his boat or utility trailer across the yard when needed. And a full custom electric bike is on my agenda as a winter project!!! A li'l welder is pretty handy!! I actually welded a tiny electrode on the furnace igniter recently. Got new ones on the table here and I'll replace 'em soon,... but my repair still works!

Oh!!! Engine coolant/antifreeze!!! Forgot to check that today! Gotta be good enough for sub-zero this year!!!!

Has ANYONE considered salt or brine as an antifreeze in their water systems??? A heavy brine of 2lb per gal is good down to 0degrees. Not adequate for sub-zero weather, but may be for others. I'd bypass the hot-water heater and jus drain it dry, but I've wondered if brine might be a better alternative sometimes. Heck, they used it the Model-T's of the early 1900's!!! And everything today is PLASTIC!!!
Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

Rickf1985

I would be afraid of the salt ending up deposited at all the low spots and then you can never flush it out. Then you have a problem with high sodium levels in your water, just what most older people with high blood pressure do not need.

DRMousseau

mmmm,.... guess I'll stick with rum!!!
Where's the rum??? Why's the rum gone???
Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

DRMousseau

ACK!!!! Another necessity of winterized storage,.... mothballs!!! or some other rodent/vermin deterrent.

Somehow a little pest got into my drawer recently, and found my ball of cotton string. Dragged the end over the back of the drawer, thru a hole of pipe access to my water-heater. THEN, into a tiny space INSIDE the heater housing. Must have been a strong little pest, because he pulled and unraveled SEVERAL FEET from the drawer all the way into the heater to make a knotted nest!!! I can't believe I've been invaded WHILE LIVING FULL_TIME in this!!!

I've always tossed a few mothballs beneath sheds and storage areas, and I've always tried not to make anything too comfortable or welcoming for pests. Looks like I'll now be tossing a few into bunks and other areas below for the winter. DANG!!!!
Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

Rickf1985

I can't believe he unraveled the ball of string! I am still laughing at that one. At least you know where he went. someplace warm.

DRMousseau

Not really a "warm" place, but well protected.

My hot-water use is sort of an "on-demand" kinda thing. I simply flip a switch on the panel below my sink when I anticipate a need, mostly in the evenings. It's electronically ignited and quite convenient as it takes only a few minutes to heat up for dishes, a shower or whatever. As I've been conserving propane for a few days,... it's been off for an unusually extended time. Luckily I discovered the mess before turning it on again!!!

But I can't believe it pulled so much out over such a distance, thru those tiny holes and spaces, and around corners too, without hangin' or snaggin' somewhere!!
Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

Rickf1985

CapnDirk

In regards to mouse determination:  Itasca for some reason decided to mount the TP holder on the inside of the vanity door.  This results in anyone using my bathroom for the first time calling out "where's the TP"?  When I first got it I was curious as to where the holder was, eventually finding it, and the mouse scale King size pillow top bed in the vanity.  I can just see them standing on his hind legs and paddling his front legs on the roll.

In regards to anti freeze controversy:  Can't we use alcohol?  I mean like isopore?  I'm not using any form of human anti freeze as in hot buttered rum! Unless it has been properly processed by the user and then offered to the RV system.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"