How does '73 Brave park brake work?

Started by UK-Winnie, November 16, 2015, 06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UK-Winnie

Hello, it's been a while (long story).  Still got my Minnie Winnie which is going great, done quite few mods and we've put about 6K miles on her so far, but now a friend has jut got his hands on a '73 Brave and he can't get the park brake to release  !!   

Yeah I know............but he's 200 miles from me and I've never seen a brake like this before (see photo) so I don't know what to tell him (except that I have no idea).

There's a thing coming down to the left of the steering column which looks like it might have something to do with it (see photo again).  Anyone know how it all works ?

It's all a bit of a strange coincidence as I came across this Brave at a race meeting a couple of years ago and I had a good look round it, then I saw it on ebay last year.  Now I get an email completely out of the blue from my mate who I've been in touch with but haven't actually seen for 20 years saying he's acquired it after it was used in a film and it runs and is street legal and everything but he can't move it.

Anyway thanks in advance if you can help,  Steve

........nostalgia is not what it used to be

joev

the lever beside the wall is the hand brake push it forward to release the park brake the lever on the left side of the steering column if you press down on it with your left foot you can tilt the steering column 

UK-Winnie

OK thanks, I thought it might be like that (like an over-center arrangement) but he said he's pushed it hard and nothing - I'll tell him to push a bit harder !

Rickf1985

It could be that the cable has rusted inside the sheath and will not release. Sometimes you can go under that and bang on the length of the cable with a hammer handle of similar and it may brake loose. Most likely the cable will need to be replaced and to get it to move it will need to be cut, be sure to cut it on the side you are replacing and not after where it connects to the rear cables.

Note! Also block the wheels BEFORE getting under there to cut the cable just in case there is a problem with the transmission and it is not in park! You do not want to become a parking block yourself, it usually does not end well.

UK-Winnie

Thanks for the advice, all sorted now   :)

Rickf1985

UK-Winnie

Sorry I didn't see this before, I don't seem to get post reply email notifications any more.

Anyway, according to my mate it turned out to be just dumb confusion - apparently he saw some sort of park brake light on the dash and it wasn't going off so he assumed he was not releasing the brake when, it turns out, he was !!

I said - so you didn't try rolling it to see if the brakes were actually on? - he said he never thought of it. 
Anyway he thought of it eventually.     :)clap

Froggy1936

Guess that's why there called IDIOT  lights !   W% :)rotflmao :)rotflmao Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

UK-Winnie

Oooooh harsh - at least he was paying attention  :D

I always thought that would be a good name for a band  "the Idiot Lights"

Rickf1985

BUT! You may want to find out WHY the Brake indicator light is on! It is usually an indicator that there is a problem with the brake pressure differential between front and rear, usually a leaky wheel cylinder or line if it is not the E-brake indicator.
Sooooooo, He may want to pay just a little more attention! Hm? W% W%

UK-Winnie

Yeah I mentioned the proportioning valve when he told me.

Rickf1985

The proportioning valve will be the indicator but not the cause of the problem. It could also be as simple as the switch broken at the emergency brake. Most times they both will turn on the same light. I am not all that familiar with the older Dodges, I don't know if they even have an E-brake indicator.

Elandan2

Good point Rick.  The parking brake on class A Dodges does not light the indicator if it is on.  If the brake light is on, there is something wrong with the hydraulic portion of the system.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

UK-Winnie

Quote from: Elandan2 on December 12, 2015, 11:40 AM
Good point Rick.  The parking brake on class A Dodges does not light the indicator if it is on.  If the brake light is on, there is something wrong with the hydraulic portion of the system.  Rick

Thanks, that narrows it down a bit then.

He's going to 'phone me over this w/e so I'll sus it out some more. 

I guess I'd better check what this light actually looks like, I've been assuming it says "brake" on it but you never know  ???

kru1968

Hello All!  New post to old thread... I have a 1985 Winnebago Chieftain 22, with a Chevy 454 engine.  Had it into a mechanic for an inspection, who said "the parking brake indicator light does not come on when the parking brake is engaged".  After reading this thread, I'm not sure it is supposed to???  I need to be certain it is supposed to come on, because if it is, it will "fail" Maryland inspection for NOT coming on.  Also, no manual to reference.  If anyone can show me in writing the correct indicator light "configuration" (light ON means parking brake is engaged?) it would be helpful.  Otherwise, mechanic says "probably a blown light bulb in the dash" may be the culprit?  He said the brakes are "great!".  Thanks for your input!
<-- her name is Dolores \W/

Rickf1985

I am pretty sure there was no indicator for the emergency brake. Most cars and trucks from the 70's did not have any kind of ebrake indicator. Come to think of it, my 2006 Mustang GT does not have an E brake light!

DaveVA78Chieftain

First I would not compare Dodge to Chevy for this.
Second, I do not see an Emergency Brake light indicator on the dash in the 85 Winnebago Operators manual for a Class A rig.  Where is this bulb located?  There is a Brake Warning Light on the dash to the right of the speedometer however that is just monitoring the hydraulic brake system.

With that said, while I do not have the 85 wiring diagram, the 84 and 86 P30 wiring diagrams do show a Parking Brake Switch.
[move][/move]

kru1968

Ok, so how do I convince my RV mechanic there isn't an indicator light in the dash for when the Emergency/Parking brake is engaged?  I'm not sure why he thinks their should be in an '85?  i??   @DaveVA78Chieftain, need more info on the Parking Brake Switch?  I haven't driven Dolores yet, so, I'm not familiar with everything.  What does the Switch do, and where is it located?  Thank you!
<-- her name is Dolores \W/

Rickf1985

All he has to do is look at the brake handle mechanism and if there is a switch with wires attached to it on that mechanism then there "may" be a light. The problem being is that these vehicles were built from parts of many vehicles and even though the brake assembly may have the switch the wiring and dash indicator may not exist on that vehicle. I don't know about British cars over there but the ones I worked on over here back in the 70's and 80's did not have parking brake indicator lights. Why would this guy think that an American vehicle from the same vintage would? The switch is a simple contact switch that closes as the brake ratchet moves away from the switch and opens as the brake is taken off and the ratchet assembly comes back and pushes the switch open. It is easy to find if it is there. There may be a light on the dash marked brake, this is to let you know that either the front or rear brake hydraulic system has failed. That may be what is confusing him. This light should come on for a few seconds when the ignition is turned on and then go off. I will look and see if mine has a switch, I have never used my parking brake because I know the cables are rusted and the last thing I want is to apply it and then have it not release or drag.