Information on replacing the floor of a 1966 Winnebago 217R Travel Trailer

Started by 1966, November 15, 2015, 07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My floor is so far gone that I have no idea on how to reconstruct it. Can anyone give me any ideas on how to complete this project.

kattkisson

How was the floor constructed?  Was it an aluminum sheet overlaid with plywood or OSB or did it have some type of foam insulation incorporated ? I have some things I have been doing for my floor situation but they are specific.

M & J

There are far too many variables to give a cookie cutter answer. Define what "gone" means. The more info you provide, the better you can be helped.
Pictures are a huge help.
Use the search feature and read what others have done.
M & J

Rickf1985

In most cases the floor platform is built first and the walls and everything else is built up on top of them. Are they "Gone" to the point that the walls are sagging? There is a point in any project where the repair would cost so much more than the final result is worth that you have to sit back and consider what you really want. Some pictures would really help us to help you.

Sorry guys its my first time on any type of forum,but thanks for the tips.I will try to get some pics up as soon as I figure out how to do that.So my story on this TT is I bought it for 125.00 figured I couldn't go wrong there,so I got it home and started tearing out all of the carpet I mean the previos owner carpeted EVERYTHING! The cabinets the ceiling ,walls closet even the friggen trunk! So Ipulled up the shag carpet in the front area were the dinette was and there was only out dryed chunks and debris on top of sterafoam tiles and metal flashing undr that. What I am thinking it probably had 3/4 plywood with the bottom frame of the wall attached to that. If anyone could give me any tips on how to put pics would be greatly appreciated.thanks for your replies guys looking forward chatting with yall!

Rickf1985

Go to Photobucket and start an account there, it is free. Upload your picture to Photobucket and then in there when you click on a picture you will see some links to the right, click the one that says "Img" and it will flash "copied". Now go to your post here and just right click paste in the post and there you go.

Trunkhill1

Had similar issue with my trailer when purchased.  I had to make a decision as to where to keep the old wood and what had to be replaced.  Look at the cross members underneath and measure for either using a circular saw set to depth, or a 'bone' saw (or both) to replace as large an area as possible.  The idea is to get the new wood to lay atop 1/2 of the crossmember butting up against OEM wood so that there's no flex especially when walking on it.  After removing as much as the interior as possible I "bridged" the new plywood into place using wood blocks and a small sledgehammer.  It was an exact fit and therefore fairly difficult to shimmy it under the sidewalls as they 'rest' on top of the floor.  I used construction adhesive to seal all the seams and edges.  Check the metal underneath and patch any holes that may have pitted through causing the rot in the first place. 

Best o luck, it's a hard fix.  I would also recommend coating the underside of your new floor with waterproofing material such as elastomeric coating you would use on the roof (i.e. Blackjack roof coating)

Hey guys I posted some pics of the gem with the help of the wife. Its going to be a lot of work but im excited. As soon as I get my 06 30 ft trail cruiser TT out of my shop ( had a blow out had to reconstruct wheel well ,floor and rewire the fridge and furnace,the wires were wrapped around the axle) Im gonna dig a little deeper into it . Any ideas or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Rickf1985

Pics aren't here?
Ok, I found them up at the beginning.
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! The whole front has dropped down around the frame and the front and side walls are gone too. I really don't know how you plan to support this while doing the work since the walls are in bad shape also. What is going to need to be done is to pull the skin off and rebuild the complete skeleton after getting a platform under it. Basically you are going to be building a complete new trailer. Right now the skin is all that is holding it together. I would be thinking of a framework to spread out across the ceiling and post jacks down to the frame rails to lift the body gently above the floor level so you can get a solid floor under the walls and then start taking the skin off and see what you have to do there so it will hold itself up. You will need to have extra post jacks so that as you put in the floor you can set more jacks on the new floor over the frame and move the ones off the old section so you can continue replacing the floor while continuing to support the body above it. Going to be a LOT of work.

M & J

M & J

Rickf1985

They are on, that's the problem. Weathers changing, it's a Vicoden day. D:oH! W% i??

Hey guys have'nt made any progress on the Winne recovering from a heart cath. But I did manage to sneak down to the shop and take a few more photos. I need to get my furnace installed and wired back up and install new 16 gauge fender wells on my 06 30ft trail cruiser. I don't like to have too many irons in the fire. I need to get it out of the shop to get the fun started on the 66. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Piraterik

I thought that I've seen some rough projects on this site, but I don't know.  The original construction process was a DuPont Thermo Panel.  Which is Styrofoam pressure glued between Luann, or Plywood and the bottom, side or top metal.

I can't see what Rick is Seeing,  as it looks like it is still sitting on the frame mounting  okay. That being said would it be possible to unbolt entire box from the trailer frame and jack just partially as section at a time close to a frame mount.

So that you might replace a 4' section at a time. working your way to the rear. 

Seeing the new Photos showing the A/C, it looks like the roof is gone as well as some of the side wall area?

In my searches for info on the Thermo process.  I had come across a company that makes panels for, I believe Cargo Trailer floor construction. And that Today they Use A Vacuum Bonding process. This is the Web Address for that Panel Manufacture.

http://www.performancepanels.com/recreational-vehicles

My Two Cents for what it's worth. Take care of that ticker, I had to be stinted awhile back.

Rickf1985

Look at the metal siding in the front where the frame rails come out from under the trailer. See how the body has pushed down over the rails and mashed the metal up. Now look inside and you can see the frame rails, That is where I would be putting the jack posts. But after seeing that picture of the ceiling I would just cut bait and run! You have NOTHING to work with there but a frame and I wonder what shape that is in.

Thanks for the link Piraterik Ill have to check into that. What my plan is I am going to run a beam through the 2 small window holes front and rear after I gut it and lift the whole shell off the frame and replace the floor and repair the bottom of the walls. After that replace the roof. That's the plan anyway but we know how plans are. I will  post pics as I go. Im excited to get going on it!        Take care of yourself too.

Rickf1985

That might work but be sure to use the entire window width for support since there is not much in there to hold all that weight and what is there is probably compromised. You might want to use all three windows and then run a beam down each side under the ones going through and jack up on them to get an even lift with the most support.

Hi Rick hope all is well. that was my plan to make the beam as wide as the windows and screw plates from the upper window frame to the top roof rail. At the top ends of the beams I am going to install "I" bolts and use heavy duty rachet straps connected to the trusses in my shop. We will see!

Piraterik

I Saw That, (sitting down on main rails). But Surely there are frame members that come out further than the Frame rails going side to side. that has to have some good structure still intact. I mean otherwise it would be sitting on the ground. The first photo of the Inside Front
does not show how far back from the front wall that rot goes. Also whether it is all along the side walls at the bottom.

I would be concerned of the side wall integrity, (Around Window frames) with jacking using supports through the windows.  I wound defiantly use a Full cross brace the width of the window openings if indeed that can be used as a lifting point.
Or if it is that far gone,  And you really, really want it. do a complete Top, Sides, ends, removal. start with the bottom platform and rebuild like originally assembled.

Man, That would be a lot of work.  But then I knew a friend in Cali that made an enclosed toy hauler from his own plans. Including Fiberglass hand laid siding panels. BIG FLAT MOLD, & Lots of Gel-coat.  i??

Got a question. Were roof mounted a/c units an option on these TT's? The reason I ask is I haven't seen any on all of the photos I looked at.

Piraterik  what I am going to do first is get gutted to see what I have to work with and then decide whether to enter it in a Crash-a-rama race! haha

Hey guys, could anyone tell me if this is OE and how it operates? I have some basic knowledge but I not sure about the transformer &  a/c d/c  switch.  Thanks guys . Have a great bird day!

Trunkhill1

Ya, I got rid of the installed-mounted propane heater in my rig and put an A/C-heater unit (Coleman) on the roof.  Was fairly easy, just needed to route electrical (Alternating current).  You can find it on Amazon or eBay or check RV scrap-yards for cheap replacements.  Chances are you're not going to be using the heat too often and if you do, bring a plug-in space heater too.
On the plus side, if you lose the old unit, be sure to plug the pipe, you gain that much more storage!

Yes that was my plan Trunkhill. I am still in the process of gutting. I think there is 500 pounds or more of carpet in this thing stapled and glued. I finished up the fender well project on the Trail Cruiser so now I can get serious on the Winne. Between fishing and working I'll try to find the time. Im going to post a few more pics of my nightmare. :)

M & J

M & J