Emergency flashers and turn signals

Started by Fearless1, November 12, 2015, 11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fearless1

Light Problems with recently purchased 1987 Tiffin Allegro 454: Emergency flashers work with running lights and headlights off. With either one on, flashers won't work. Also, running lights and headlights operate normal, but when both are off and  either turn signal is activated, emergency flashers come on; with either running lights or headlights on, turn signals will not activate. Two wires on front (either side) connected to turn signal light/running light, one hot, one ground - light casing has additional ground wire connected to frame. When turn signals are activated, ground wire of the two wires becomes hot. If I disconnect the real hot wire, turn signals work, but of course, no light unless turn signal is on. With ground wire of the two wires running to light disconnected, and lights on, when turn signal is activated, ground in pigtail from light gets pulse current. HELP!!! i??
Fearless1 - Just like my 26 lb. "Texas Miniature Chihuahua," Bambi-aka-Miss Priss
Be Alert!.....The world needs more lerts!

Rickf1985

It sounds like you have the wrong bulbs in there. Those two wires are not hot and ground, they are turn signal and marker light, both are hot wires for one function. The housing is the ground for both functions. What is happening is you are feeding power back through the other wire. The bulb should be a 1157 with two contacts on the bottom. I am going to guess the bulb that is in there is probably an 1156 with one contact. Technically it should not fit correctly but who knows what has been done before you.

Fearless1

BINGO!  :)clap Thanks Rick! The bulbs were 1156. After changing them out with 1157s and a little rewiring, turn signals and flashers are now working properly. What threw me off was a ground wire from a marker light was connected to the turn signal hot wire, therefore I thought it was a ground. When I first installed one 1157, it was 180 degrees off. How could it install like that?  i?? After figuring that out, everything else pretty much fell into place. I love it when a plan comes together. BTW Rick, money is on the way. If not received by Juvenber 32, please advise.  D:oH!
Fearless1 - Just like my 26 lb. "Texas Miniature Chihuahua," Bambi-aka-Miss Priss
Be Alert!.....The world needs more lerts!

Rickf1985

Rover71

WE have a '89 Itasca  Sunflier, 7.4 L etc.Just recently ,I discovered that if marker lights are on, right signal not working and indicator steady on, Works normally with markers off. Has to be feedback or bad ground, but I'm not sure where to start, ideas very welcome.I'd had a bad bulb in right rear signal, but cleaned that all up and no difference.
Thanks in advance--Harv
Harv

Rickf1985

Check the ground on that light assembly, it sounds like the bulb is grounding back through the other element. That is the simplest thing to check, if not that then you will need a meter and check eact terminal in the bulb socket with the flashers on to see if you are actually getting power to that terminal. If not then the best place to go is under the back of the vehicle and  find the wires running to the back. If it has a trailer hitch with trailer lights that makes it easy to follow those wires to the harness and check there. The trailer wires are usually attached with blue splice connectors that cut into the wires and they cause all kinds of corrosion and broken wire issues.