Any tricks to steering wheel removal/ signal switch p/n?

Started by Thenoob, October 26, 2015, 09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thenoob

Hey guys

Going to take the steering wheel off tomorrow to remove a broken signal switch... Anybody got a p/n to cross reference? Napa here in Canada has nothing to reference, can't bring up anything to reference, mine is a 73 so the switch is most likely a 72.

Anyways, I've disconnected the battery, tires are straight, removed the horn cover and am ready to pull the wheel.  Anything I need to know?  I'm used to pullers being the opposite of what we have, going into it so is there a special type of puller to use? 

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

Thenoob

Ya I have spent literally half my day trying to find a p/n.

Thank you thank you.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Go to site store, purchase Dodge service manual and parts manual.  Will save hours of trouble (frustration)

Do not loose horn button pin (under wheel) when you pull the steering wheel off with a steering wheel puller
[move][/move]

DRMousseau

And I jus so happen to have a new replacement switch that jus might be what your lookin for. I bought it for the '73 D20 M300,... brand new in the package still. MY problem was a short, fixed it and never used the new switch assy,... and probably never will now.

Let me know what ya need,... this jus might be the one.

exactly like this,... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turn-Signal-Switch-NEW-for-Chrysler-Dodge-Plymouth-/230678202496
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

Thenoob

Yup looks correct

I took mine out
Today, there's a spring broken on the left turn side that locks it in when pushed down.

Such a piss off lol, I bought a simple cam replacement but that's not the issue its the spring underneath that locks it in.

I'll go look at mine and conform but looks exactly correct.

Thenoob

Just had a look and that's the one

Correct wiring etc.

DRMousseau

Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

Thenoob

Thanks boss
I managed to track one down locally here believe it or not lol.

For future reference:

The part # s945 by bWd is a direct line up replacement.  Did not have to do or alter anything.

Now the final thing and I'll post my questions in a seperate thread about my kingpins, they are loose and need replacing but I'll stay on topic and start another Info thread

Thanks again for the help!'

DRMousseau

Yup! That's it!!!

Not nearly as nice or tough as the original,... and if it only lasts half as long, ya still got no worries for a long time!
Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

Thenoob

Yes I surprised how easy it was to change out actually.

Can def see how it's not nearly built as tough as the original but that goes for everything these days