The Walking Dead RV Original Owner info.

Started by Lefty, October 06, 2015, 10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lefty

After seeing a picture of the Walking Dead Winnebago, I caught sight of the WIT number on it's upper drivers side roof.
"09866"
Curious, I pulled out my vintage WIT Owner Directory and looked it up.
Yep, it's in there... '09866" registered to a Mr. W.C. Ragan Jr.  Rural Route #2 Ragan's Drive  Gray,Ga. 31032

A 4 digit member number indicates a very early WIT registration. 0100-08500 were issued to the original Charter Members... so they signed up about 1,300 members afterwards  (that'd be probably in the first year... as WIT grew tremendously in it's first few years.).

OK, there is your utterly useless trivia fact of the day.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

xerofall

That's pretty cool, thanks for sharing... if I gave you the number on my Brave, would you be able to look it up?

Lefty

I can try... I have a 1979 edition of the Winnebago International Travellers National Member Directory.
It lists every WIT number that was active as of Oct. 1978(That's the listed cut-off date it gives).
It's handy because in 1978, the early to mid 70's Winnebago's were still fairly new rigs... and in the majority of cases were still owned by the original owners.
But, they would only be listed in the book if they had continued to be a member of Winnebago International Travellers after their free 1 year membership ran out (you got a year free when buying a new Winnebago). Most owners did keep their membership,at least for the first few years, because WIT was still a huge thing back then.
Post the number on the rig and I'll see if it's in there. You might get lucky  :)

JessEm

Interesting stuff, Lefty.

It would be super neat to own the actual Walking Dead Winnebago (minus the overheating problem) but I think it no longer exists. It was torched in the last episode of Season 2.

In it's final hurrah, it was overrun with walkers as Rick and Carl used it to make their escape from the burning barn.

xerofall

Quote from: JessEm on October 07, 2015, 12:21 PM
Interesting stuff, Lefty.

It would be super neat to own the actual Walking Dead Winnebago (minus the overheating problem) but I think it no longer exists. It was torched in the last episode of Season 2.

In it's final hurrah, it was overrun with walkers as Rick and Carl used it to make their escape from the burning barn.

I was bummed when it caught fire. But at the end of season 5 they now have another RV! :D

xerofall

Speaking of The Walking Dead, have you guys seen this? It's a Lego-like set of bricks you can make into the Winnebago. I really want this, but it's like $55 bucks!

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=MCF14306&mode=retail

Rickf1985

Are you guys REALLY into that show THAT much?! I just don't see it. Hm? N:(

ClydesdaleKevin

Shush Rick...its fun...and the main character has your name...lol!  Just a little trivia though...the Winnebago used in the filming of the early episodes was NOT torched.  It is alive and well.  They brought in a basket case "stunt Winnie" for the burning scene.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

I know the same one as mine was used in one of the Terminator movies, It was weird seeing Arnold driving my Winnebago down the road. :)rotflmao

xerofall

Quote from: Lefty on October 07, 2015, 08:06 AM
I can try... I have a 1979 edition of the Winnebago International Travellers National Member Directory.
It lists every WIT number that was active as of Oct. 1978(That's the listed cut-off date it gives).
It's handy because in 1978, the early to mid 70's Winnebago's were still fairly new rigs... and in the majority of cases were still owned by the original owners.
But, they would only be listed in the book if they had continued to be a member of Winnebago International Travellers after their free 1 year membership ran out (you got a year free when buying a new Winnebago). Most owners did keep their membership,at least for the first few years, because WIT was still a huge thing back then.
Post the number on the rig and I'll see if it's in there. You might get lucky  :)

Well, it's 199308... I'm thinking it's too far along to have anything useful... but maybe... I think the original owner was a Sergeant in the military. I think it's been owned by two others since him, making me the 3rd or 4th owner.

Lefty

Are you sure about that number? That's a whole lot higher than any WIT number I've seen. Highest member number listed in my book is 50313, and that's in 1978... 5 years after your rig was built.

xerofall

It's probably the "Good Sam" registration number. It's directly below it...

EldoradoBill

Mine came today......  :)clap $49 at Walmart

Bill

JessEm

That's awesome.

Put it together and let us know how it turns out.  :)

xerofall

EldoradoBill

This will be one of those "snow day" projects.

I actually bought two...one to put together and one to squirrel away (I'm like that)

Bill

Oz

Excellent idea.  The one in the box will increase in value as a collector's item, especially after the show runs its course.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Schmitti

I think it's cool, what beautiful things you can buy :)ThmbUp :) . Here in Germany, you get respect an old Winni's times nothing $@!#@! . If I what to buy me with you, then the freight cost and import tax blown away by almost $@!#@! .

Has anyone actually now found out whom the film belonged Winni times? I would find something the first owner great. Whether there is such data for my? What the first owner would probably say to his former Winni?

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

EldoradoBill

Finished just in time; second half of the season continues 2/14  :)clap

JessEm

I love it! I like the detail in those McFarlanes.

Second half of season 6 begins tonight!

cosmic

When the winie burned it was the last show i watched...That winnebago was the star of the show for me..