Pics - this "end link?" Making lots of noise, banging clanging

Started by Thenoob, October 04, 2015, 05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thenoob

Hey everyone

When changing my shocks today I finally figured out what is making all this metal banging sound going over bumps and when braking at times, it's loud and bugs me bad.

What exactly
Is this part?  From what I see there is no bushing in the top it's metal on metal and over time has obviously banged around a lot and most likely enlarged a hole.  Esp when going over bumps, braking etc you can hear it
Banging loud and it really bugs me.  It looks like it's the top, metal on metal??

If anyone can provide me with some Info on the actual part name and if you've experienced the same, please post and give some input.

Cheers!

DaveVA78Chieftain

It is a front sway bar assembly;
sway bar Dodge P/N 3638634
Link (bar to frame) Dodge P/N 3638640
[move][/move]

Bnova

Yeah, looks like something that would keep the front axle from rolling when you apply the brakes, but hard to tell from the pics.  Is there one on the other side as well?

Thenoob

Thanks Dave

Do you know if the replacement ones have some sort of bushing or anything that comes with them to stop the metal on metal?  I'm guessing the whole point of it is to be able to move so what I could see while under there is that there is def nothing in the top nut/bolt to help

Has anybody else changed this
Part out?

DaveVA78Chieftain

You may have a problem finding those parts.  I didn't find a source for them.

You may have to have a metal fab shop work up some new links and locate a new grade 8 bolt/nut

You should be able to locate some universal bushing replacements if you need them
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Sway!s!Stabilizer+Bar+Bushings+Greasable+%28Universal%29/N1583/C0106.oap?model=R300&vi=1498130&year=1972&make=Dodge

Just throwing ideas out.  Here is what someone did to a F100 I beam chassis.
http://www.slick60s.com/viewtopic.php?t=12376
You could convert to something like that if the proper size universal bar is available
[move][/move]

Thenoob

Very cool indeed

Expected to have an issue with this.  Did the original ones have a rubber type bushing in there?  Just curious what got it this far and what not.  Metal on metal is
Never a good design idea

DaveVA78Chieftain

Dodge Parts book does not indicate a rubber bushing at the frame rail end
[move][/move]

Thenoob

Ya I was looking at it too and couldn't see one, I wonder why it's banging around.

Have anybody else experienced that? Maybe I'm wrong where I'm looking but in almost positive... Could be anything really

rustyzman

A good positive test for a bad sway bar link, bushing, etc. that knocks or bangs is as follows:
Securely in park, wheels chocked, have one person get underneath on one side or the other and hold the bushing or link in question.  At the same time have another person either inside the MH or outside, depending on its size, rock the vehicle from side to side quickly (as in make it pitch left, then right again and again).  once it starts to rock, you will find the noise by feeling the clunk or clank in the individual part.  Any part of the sway bar system that exhibits slop or makes a noise is bad.  Sometimes it is all the bushings and links. 

Take heed and look at what you are holding first.  Since the suspension will be moving, so will all that stuff under and around you.  Do not grab or hold anything that will pinch you when the MH is rocking. 

This is hands down the most effective way to find suspension clunks that occur from sway bars in my opinion.  It has never failed me professionally and has uncovered more bad end links and worn out frame bushings than I can remember. 

Good chance to peek at all the other suspension bushings and steering links too.  Nothing like seeing it all move live!

It is important the the vehicle in question be on the ground, on its tires for accurate diagnosis.  Otherwise, you can not duplicate road conditions and something might be out of position or strained to the point that you will not feel the problem.  On a Motorhome, this is easy.  On a Vette, not so much.

TripleJ

Are you sure the noise is coming from there? Hard to tell by the pictures but it doesn't look like there is witness marks from much movement at the bolt you are showing. A little beneath the nut but not enough to cause a lot of noise
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

Rickf1985

I was thinking the same thing and that nut appears to be welded on as in it ain't intended to come off. What Rusty is saying is good advice. I chased a noise all the way to a loose rivet on the frame one time. The person shaking the pick-up like to died from pushing on it for a half hour. :)rotflmao Look for rust or shiny metal around anything you suspect is moving, the "Witness" marks TripleJ is talking about.

rustyzman

Yes, a loose rivet is a tough one for sure.  Its one of those items you take for granted and never expect to be causing the problem! 

Rickf1985

A couple companies had recalls on them over the years and there are usually no witness marks because they are usually oily and dirty. If all else fails check the rivets in the frame where the crossmembers meet the main frame rails. They will never get loose enough to feel loose but you will feel it if your hand is there when it pops.
Another trick is a camera. I have an older Contour camera that I have been known to attach under vehicles to watch suspension move. This is basically the poor mans Go-Pro.

Thenoob

Thenoob

Now that felt good!!

Got Ér back from my Mechanic after we've done a bunch of small fixes, but we are still chasing the clank noise which you can hear in the video.  Not that we can get a diagnosis from it, but it was soooooo nice to cruise my baby again.  Ear to ear smile now I only want to fix that sound.  Go pro taped up underneath will be the mission I think to properly diagnose.

Here's my ride!!!

http://youtu.be/B8QP66_VE6E