North Carolina, 2015

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, September 28, 2015, 09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks Rick!  A winch is on the list of future purchases...which is why the custom bumper has a cutout on the front, for an internal winch.  Just too costly right now, and down on the priority list.

Weather here today is windy, but not too rainy at all.  A light sprinkle once in a while.  They did close the Faire altogether this weekend, and we will be opening next Saturday instead.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

I got quite a bit done today.  All the wood is purchased for a huge run of 10 and 15 dollar catapults (student days is right after this weekend).  And then I made an adapter box for the power here at the campsite.  Basically a dual gang weather proof box, with an RV plug coming out, and an RV plug next to a regular 20 amp outlet inside.  When they designed the campground, they gave each campsite one 30 amp plug.  While my RV does have outside outlets, I don't know what they are rated at, and don't want to run high amp power tools off of them.  I also installed a power strip for Patti on top of the washer/dryer cabinet, which has become the countertop for the toaster, bread machine, toaster oven, and crock pot.

Not a heck of a lot, but good enough!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

Ready for opening weekend!  And parts are all prepped out to assemble on Monday for three student days in a row (Tues, Weds, and Thurs)...which gives us Friday to build more catapults for the following weekend.  I'll be glad when said following weekend is over!

Kev

HandyDan

Yay students.  I never took my students to a Renaissance Faire, but we went to quite a few other things.  My hat is off to any teacher willing to try to herd a bunch of kids in any venue.  There is ALWAYS one kid that doesn't want to go along with the program.  Good Luck!
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

AWESOME Dan!!!

So...it looks like our new opening day...today...is going to rain like heck all day.  Tomorrow we are supposed to have great weather, so at least there's that...lol!

Kev

circleD

Just wait about 10 minutes Kev. The weather will change.  :)rotflmao

M & J

And at least y'all arent near Myrtle Beach.
M & J

Rickf1985

One of my co-workers has a house there and went down there for vacation the day the storm hit and came home the day it left. At least his house was not damaged. He told me that even with all of that, getting away from work was still a vacation. :)rotflmao

ClydesdaleKevin

Rained all day, but had fun catching up with friends we haven't seen since last year, and made a little bit of money.  Tomorrow is supposed to be nice weather, so hopefully we'll be super busy!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

PERFECT weather today, and BOY were we busy!  Finally...money coming in instead of going out...lol!  Its going to be a super busy week with 3 student days and building catapults, and then another weekend...and then a week of playing catch up...and then I can finally get started on some projects, like solar panel tilts, etc.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

GREAT kids day today, with very well behaved kids...and many catapults were sold!  We came home and assembled and stained a bunch more.  2 more to go!!!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

We survived all three student days...YAY!!!  Now I'm going to have some coffee, and then go out to the workshop to gets SOME more catapults finished for tomorrow.  I think I'll concentrate on about 20 of the new oak models...I can only get so many done in one day...lol!  Looks like we won't have trebuchets or ballistae on the table this weekend, but next week I can get them done.

Kev

Rickf1985

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on October 16, 2015, 10:05 AM
We survived all three student days...YAY!!!  Now I'm going to have some coffee, and then go out to the workshop to gets SOME more catapults finished for tomorrow.  I think I'll concentrate on about 20 of the new oak models...I can only get so many done in one day...lol!  Looks like we won't have trebuchets or ballistae on the table this weekend, but next week I can get them done.

Kev

Slacker. :)rotflmao

xerofall

I gotta see pics of these catapults now.

joanfenn

Jeff, on the front page there is a link to get to Kevins page.  Go to home page, scroll down to bottom and click on "Siege the day".  That is Kevins and Pattis website.

xerofall

Quote from: joanfenn on October 16, 2015, 03:39 PM
Jeff, on the front page there is a link to get to Kevins page.  Go to home page, scroll down to bottom and click on "Siege the day".  That is Kevins and Pattis website.

Wow! Thanks!

ClydesdaleKevin

All reset from kids days, back to our regular weekend setup!  We even found time to run the dogs in the field, throwing them tennis balls until they didn't want to chase them anymore...lol!  Now to relax with some bourbon, a good vape, and the interwebs...

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Great day at the Faire, and its supposed to be great weather tomorrow as well.  We are going to have to build a LOT of catapults next week!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

So Sunday was a good day, but I had to go home sick...we found someone to cover me in the booth...and I was SO sick the rest of the day, and into Monday.  Monday afternoon we bought Patti a power chair, since its way too far a walk for her from our campsite to the booth with her RA, and a carrier for the back of the Blazer.  We got a great deal on it.  Yesterday was run errands and get things done we couldn't last week.  And now for the next 3 days it will be nothing but catapults, probably into the evenings to get them all done.  I have lights in the workshop, so its all good...lol!  No rain in the immediate forecast, so hopefully it won't rain here again until after Thanksgiving.  :D

Kev

Rickf1985

Never really thought about that, you are a two person operation on the road and one gets sick how do you find a replacement?

ClydesdaleKevin

We just do Rick...lol!  No real sick days when you are self employed...but fortunately we have a lot of good friends out here in the Renaissance world.  Still not feeling 100%, but worked in the workshop from 10am until around 7pm.  Gotta get the stock built.  I just can't be a nancy, and gotta suck it up...but when I'm throwing up every 10 minutes, THAT is when we needed our friends to jump in...lol!  It was a NASTY stomach bug!

That said, a HUGE amount was done today, and tomorrow even more will get done, and everything finished on Friday.  Which will catch us up, so I can get some projects done before the winter vacation.

Kev

Rickf1985

I was a long haul trucker for a while and there is nothing worse than driving when you are sick. Problem is that the load is promised on a certain date and it batter be there on time. They would usually allow one day late on a 2,000 mile shipment. Not much leeway for sickness. 7 days and a wake up and I am officially retired and BROKE! :)clap But at keast I can stay home without having to call anyone. :)ThmbUp

ClydesdaleKevin

HUGE amounts of catapults were built today, although Patti seems to be coming down with what I had, poor kid!  On Monday I went out and bought her an Invacare Pronto M51 power chair and lift/carrier for it (sweet Craigslist deal, 350.00 for the lot)...because our campsite is now so far away from our booth, she can barely make the walk with her severe RA.  It will come in handy for her as well at our other faires, and of course while on vacation if we want to walk all over a town to explore it!  Or mall trips, etc.  Its a pretty neat chair, and does very well on rough terrain.    LOTS more to do tomorrow to finish up for the weekend!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

It was a great weekend, and now I own another nearly vintage RV in addition to our Holiday Rambler...lol!  Its a '96 Chalet A-Frame pop-up camper.  Its not in the best condition...some water damage to one corner...but for 250.00 I couldn't pass it up!  Converter works, furnace works, tiny little 2 burner stovetop works, and I'm testing the tiny little fridge now....coils heat up, but I don't know if it gets cold or not.  Why, do you ask, did I buy a little pop-up A frame camper?  For a workshop that I can leave in North Carolina, of course!!!  I'm going to fully set up the workshop in it tomorrow and use it instead of a tent.  Then, in the off season, I can leave it set up and store it at the faire (they don't charge to store campers and trailers), cover it with a big tarp, and it will be waiting for me ready to go next season.  So tomorrow I'll be gutting most of the cabinetry and tables and whatnot out of it, repairing that corner damage with screws and washers and Eternabond tape, and turning it into a little mobile workshop.  A-Frames are pretty neat!

Kev

Rickf1985

You know the rules........................ Pics or you ain't got it! N:( N:( :)rotflmao