Help ID'ing '72 Indian Rear End (Dodge/ Chrysler)

Started by JessEm, September 23, 2015, 09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JessEm

I had a buyer for this rear end from a MH but something came up and he put the purchase on hold indefinitely.

So... I want to sell it on craigslist and I'm wondering what the technical name/info is? Should I just list the chassis type and people will find it? Is M375 the correct chassis for a 1972 Indian D22?

Basically, I'm just wondering what info will help someone find it? Any help is appreciated.

Lefty

All Dana axles have the model number cast on the housing. Look for a 60, 70, or 70HD.
Rear end ratio installed should be on a small aluminum tag held in place by one of the rear end cover bolts. If it is missing, you can remove the cover and physically count the ring gear teeth and the pinion gear teeth. Divide the number of pinion gear teeth into the number of ring gear teeth to get a ratio. Example: Ring gear has 41 teeth, Pinion gear has 10  Divide 10 into 41 to get 4.10 or, a 4.10:1 ratio.

You can also "ballpark" the ratio by taping a reference point to the pinion stub, and also a reference point on one tire. Have an assistant hold the other tire to prevent movement and slowly rotate the pinion by hand, counting the revolutions as the wheel with the tape rotates. Stop when the tire turns one time and count how many times the pinion turned.
Slightly more than 4 turns is a 4.10:1, just over 4 1/4 turns is a 4.30:1, and 4 1/2 turns is a 4.55:1  Less than 4 turns would likely be a 3.73 or 3.88 gear set.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

JessEm

What a great explanation! Thank you very much Lefty!

Rickf1985

Or if you pull the cover off you will usually find a set of numbers stamped into the ring and pinion gears sort of like 45-11. the larger is the number of teeth on the ring gear and the smaller is the number of teeth on the pinion. Divide the pinion into the ring for the ratio.

JessEm

Perfect. You guys advise was exactly what I needed. Now if it would just quit raining.

DaveVA78Chieftain

In 1971-1972:
M300
  A. Used 16" tires with split ring rims
  B.  Spicer 70 4.56 ratio

M375
A.  Used 17" tires with split ring rims
B.  Spicer 70HD 4.56 ratio

A 22ft rig was most likely a M300
[move][/move]

JessEm

Thanks for all the help. Turns out it was a 70HD. I never did get a chance to check the gear ratio. Someone came and bought it unknown ratio (at least to me), and now tis gone.

JessEm

For any future reference, this was a M400 chassis, according to the vin tag.