"Scalped"

Started by JessEm, September 22, 2015, 10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JessEm

LJ-TJ

WOW! Now that's neat. All the years I've been on the site and have never seen anything like this before. Pretty Cool.

fasteddie313

Schmitti

:)clap :)clap :)clap :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)ThmbUp

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

M & J

M & J

Rickf1985

I want to see the other part, the bloody part. ;) :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

M & J

I take that back......  What Rick said was weird.... lol
M & J

Lefty

Was that a Tonka Winnebago that the sides came from? They look too big for that judging by the background bushes.. But they look too small to have been a real Winnebago either... Confused...
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

JessEm

Well... It's not trick photography. I leaned a ladder against a tree and took the pic from 15+ feet up. Those "bushes" are actually trees.

If it was a Tonka (lol btw), of course it would've been no problem getting it all in the picture...

This, is a '72 D22. Once I got out the millions of screws, bolts and staples hiding in the "belt", and along the roof line, the siding peeled right off. Every inch of it was moist, and the glue had since surrendered making it pretty easy at that point. On the passenger side, the section forward the door with the "W" just fell off when I removed the door. You can see the remains of the lower horizontal wood support in that section; that is where the siding was mechanically fastened through the belt. It basically rotted away.

Those horizontal wood supports are bolted to the frame. On the driver side, they were rotted and gone to the point that, once the siding was removed, the entire front half of that wall buckled and collapsed under the weight of the roof (pictured). The siding (and the screws running through it) had been the only thing holding up the wall. Shortly after the windshield frame was removed, the roof came to rest on the steering wheel.

This was by no means a waste of a good, restorable MH. It was capitol DONE DONE DONE. Left to all natures elements (carpenter ants, rodents, sun, rain, ice, snow) and neglected, it's condition was beyond any effort to rectify, reasonable or otherwise. The best option was to make it's parts available to others.

The "bloody part" lol :

Lefty

I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

LJ-TJ

Rickf1985

Not what I expected to see. I expected to see the framing skeleton, I am guessing that is covered by insulation?

JessEm

Quote from: Rickf1985 on September 23, 2015, 07:01 AM
Not what I expected to see. I expected to see the framing skeleton, I am guessing that is covered by insulation?

For the most part, what you see is what you get with regard to framing. No skeleton. It's basically rigid foam sandwiched between interior paneling and exterior siding. This is the case even around windows where you might expect framing. (The windows are held by screwing through the interior frame, and into the exterior frame. This pinches the two frames together and holds the window in place. Additional lateral support for the windows is provided by the screws through the paneling/foam/siding, and the "super caulk" Winnebago used. I don't know what that caulk is, but I'm pretty sure it was designed for NASA.)

Edit: As I recall, a few areas of the wall were comprised of 3/4" plywood and 3/4" foam, as opposed to just 1-1/2" foam. This was behind upper cabinets, around and above the rear access door, and under the eyebrow from the front 1/4 of the front side windows forward, from the roof down to the dash. These were plywood strips, mostly about 6" wide inside the wall.

LJ-TJ

Pretty interesting stuff. Is there any chance you can get some pic's of the inside. Looks like your our Binnie pig. Chances of us ever seeing the inside of one of these is pretty slim. Thanks for all the time and photos.   

JessEm

Quote from: LJ-TJ on September 23, 2015, 10:06 AM
Pretty interesting stuff. Is there any chance you can get some pic's of the inside. Looks like your our Binnie pig. Chances of us ever seeing the inside of one of these is pretty slim. Thanks for all the time and photos.

LJ-TJ, The pics above are from a few days ago. Yesterday I had to get rid of what was left of the Winnebago so unfortunately no pics.

And actually, pictures of the inside would mostly just be paneling. I never removed the paneling from the interior side of the foam.

Can I interest you in a pic of a rear end?  :D Aside from a few odds & ends parts, this is about all that's left.

LJ-TJ

WOW! Thanks for all the stuff you posted. It's been real interesting. By the way. There's the chrome ring that goes around the headlight it's self. But then there's a chrome ring that goes around the headlight pot. The part that the headlight and directional light sit in. Did you sell that trim ring?

JessEm

It would be easier for me if you say the thinner ring, or the wider ring.  :-[  :D

I will take a look and see what I have. I'm almost positive I have an extra thin ring. Not sure off-hand about the wider one...

LJ-TJ

:D There's the chrome ring that goes around the headlight that you have to take off in order to get the headlight out to change the headlight. NOT THAT ONE. The one that goes around the headlight and the directional light. Hm? D:oH! I don't know what I'm talking about. i?? The other chrome ring. D:oH!

JessEm

Ok I will take a look tomorrow and see what I have.