Kool Seal over EternaBond Tape or NOT?

Started by lngfish, September 20, 2015, 06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lngfish

Hello,

I recently did my 1st two-coat sealing with this KST product called Kool Seal.

In the past I had read that this was a good product but in the past the RV place I use to deal with and still do but not as much now did not carry many of the premium products so I was using a latex based product that had tiny fibers in it. I forget what it was but it sure mildewed fast but stuck good but was never a nice white color.

I believe Kool Seal, KST, now owned by Sherwin Williams, is such a Premium product from what I have experience this far and what I read here on this site.

Prior to putting on 2-coats of Kool Seal, the 10-year stuff, at little over $40 per gallon, ouch, I went over the top as mentioned before, and replaced all the caulking, dug old out, and topped new caulking with Eternabond Tape.

BTW that NAPA seam sealer is working out ok except it takes a long time to set up if put on more than 1/16 thick but it will eventually get pretty firm. And also it takes 3 coats of KS to cover it.  But I like it still better than say Self leveling caulk.

I was unsure of whether or not I should Kool Seal over the Eternabond tape however.

Eternbond Rep said not to paint over the tape but from what I see how the top looks I'd like to since the roof would look better now that I am done and the tape is shiney and the roof is not as shiney.

What is the norm here for you guys?

One draw back with Eternabond tape is you have to be careful where you put your steel toed boots if you are working around it on hand and knees or you will really smudge it up.

A few spots I had to redo, re-top, because I used 4" tape and the vinyl got whacky looking.

Steve

ClydesdaleKevin

Yes.  You can use Kool Seal...or any other decent quality elastomeric coating...right over the Eternabond tape.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

lngfish

OK Kev,

I wonder why Eternabond Rep said not to?

I asked here to make sure the KS would stick to the tape so from what you say it sticks, THANKS again!

Steve

ClydesdaleKevin

Yep.  I have been using it for years, on 3 different rigs...as have most of the folks in this group.  It sticks like glue to the Eternabond with no problems, cracking, or peeling.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

The tech most likely never actually used it that way.  I put Kool-Seal over Eternabond tape over my entire roof.  It bonded and lasted fine for years.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

lngfish

Great,

I'm glad I asked since I wanted to do that same since Eternabond is shiny.

I think I may have messed up and gotten a few areas wet TOO EARLY or put 2 coats on without letting it dry enough or something WRONG so it wrinkled up and disconnected. Darn!

I think it was about a week or so before I had a hose on it for something else.

Anyway, I will wait longer next time or just coat once and wait a month. Then put 2nd coat on after a month with 1st coat on.

At least you have had 100% success, I hope to also. well eventually.

Oz

No way should you have to wait that long between coats.  I did all mine in one, warm, sunny day without any issues.

If the kool seal separated from the tape, then there must be something on the tape itself causing it.

Or...

are you using the one step, UV protected tape?  The kind which has a thin layer of aluminum foil looking stuff on one side, or the gray or white tape which doesn't have the UV protective backing?

I used the kind with the backing.  If you're using the kind without it, that could be the problem but I can't say for certain.

lngfish

Hi Oz,

I used the tape with the shiny white on the back. I got it on Amazon. I got the 4" X 50' rolls as I had places where the previous areas needed that much to get back to where after I scraped out ALL the previous caulk and junky stuff it would look right to me. After doing the whole roof I got a half kitchen bag of old caulk out of ALL the penetrations and re caulked all of them then used Eternabond on top of new caulking to finish it off. I didn't like how it looked with the Etenabond tape not Cool Sealed so I asked if I could Cool Seal it too.

http://www.amazon.com/EternaBond-RSW-4-50-White-Roof-Seal/dp/B002RSIK4G

What everybody was buying there. I think they called it UV stabilized or neutral or something ( The white vinyl part on back), which meant little to me but sounded good.

Since everybody else here is doing OK Cool Sealing over ETERNA Bond I will clean areas the Wrinkled and peeled up and do again.

Maybe a quick wipe with acetone?

ClydesdaleKevin

Wipe it with acetone to get fingerprints off of it...but I've never even bothered.  I always recoated as soon as the last coat felt dry to the touch...which depending on the weather could take an hour, to the next day.  For a full coating with 5 coats, I always waited 24 hours between coats.

Kev

Oz

This is what I used and just painted right over:
http://www.eternabond.com/AlumiBond-p/rv-as.htm

This is what you got, except in 50' length:
http://www.eternabond.com/RoofSeal-PLUS-p/rv-rsp.htm

I just really can't say if there's an issue with the kool seal sticking to the white backing.   i??

lngfish

Hi Kev and Oz,

I also waited minimum 24 hours between roof coats. But I did not do the Eternabond coatings till I had 2 coats on roof and I saw I did not like how the tape looked without it being Cool Sealed also.

So then again, I waited minimum, 24 hours between coats on this procedure too.

Might have been finger prints, good thinking. Since I was doing the roof.

Gotcha!

Makes sense now.

Quick wipe will clean if off. Thanks.

I have 2 coats on roof  and I really like it so far. I wish I had used it prior but local RV place never stocked it. It is pricey that is why I guess. The last stuff I used was Lowes Ultra 1000 that was so so but not near as good and as thick as Cool Seal. I like how the stir stick stays at any angle in can it is so thick.

Do you thick 5 coats is necessary?

ClydesdaleKevin

I always use 5 coats the first time...even with genuine Kool Seal.  Some use 3 coats, and with the viscosity of the real Kool Seal, that would probably be fine.  I wouldn't go less than 3 coats the first time.  And even genuine Kool Seal gets stained and mildewed just as fast as the cheaper Home Depot and Lowes stuff, so you'll still want to do a light recoat after a thorough cleaning about every 3 years.  That's what I do anyway.  Getting ready to do that soon this year, once I make tilts for my solar panels.

Kev

Oz

I recall I did 5 or six coats initially.  After three years, I cleaned the roof and put on 2 more.  I always kept my roof under tarp when not in use, so it really stayed in good condition and helped extend the durability of the original application, I'm sure.

lngfish

Thanks OZ and Kev,

Understood. Thanks.

The only place I'm able to get this Kool Seal will be online since the last place I got it here was a long distance to drive so I might as well get online. My local RV shop that I use to use and still do does not carry allot of things but sometimes he has what I need.

I'm sure a cover helps. I recently got one on Amazon pretty inexpensive I thought. I think $60 or $80 and I'm going to try it. It was an Aqua Shed material. I forget Mgf, but it was a close out. One of those deals.

I put it on pretty thick with a 4" brush and I got 2 coats out of 1.5 gallons on my 30 footer so I'm a little short for a 3rd coat right now since I have to go back and re-do the Eternabond tape.

If the rain stops and gets back to warmer I'll order one more gallon online.

Steve

tiinytina

I used the best elastomerized made for aluminum roof sealer paint I can find as can't find Kool Seal but I apply 2 coats every 2 years after thorough scrubbing with Simple Green.  I liberally apply it to all joints, tape, etrnabond, silicone around all vents etc...  Gone gets tarped in winter... making sure that water doesn't accumulate between roof rack rails. etc
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

ClydesdaleKevin

I've been using throw away rags and denatured alcohol to clean the roof before recoats.  Works great, is cheap enough, and no rinsing.

Kev

khantroll

I saw a comment from Oz on new member's comment, so I wanted to post an update to this post regarding the longevity of eternabond and kool seal. My rebuilt roof is now 3 years old, and it is exterior grade plywood with seams taped with eternabond tape, then the tape sealed with rustoleum's version of flex seal, and liquid EPDM and kool seal. After 3 years, it is holding up fairly well. There is some discoloration, and the roof may need a re-coat next year.