1972 Winnebago chieftain roof replacement

Started by outdoorsguy36, October 29, 2018, 03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorsguy36

So the roof on my D-24 is sagging and I constructed a temporay fix to hold it back in place. I built a 2x4 frame against the walls thats free standing with cross beams to hold everything up. Its worked great for the last few years but the roof sag has gotten worse in other areas like the wardrobe and cabinets so im just replacing the whole thing. I've seen several posts where people have shown pictures of roof replacements but not where they get materials specifically the new curved beams. I've searched using google but just get RV roof repair companies not a kit supplier or RV roof beam manufacturer. Anyone on here know of a company that sells roof beams or kits to replace your roof other than the rubber membrane?

LJ-TJ

Ok so if you can send me a PM with your email address. I can send you an article on the actual article Wiber goes topless. Where the chap has pictues and instructions on how to do it and what materials he used. Hm?

LJ-TJ

Here's the link to the start of the replacement. I captured a lot of the pic's from this article. Just got to figure out how to get them to you OR maybe there still on the internet or this site some where. Hm?

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=299.0

Froggy1936

Sorry, There is no kit for repair,s for replacement of the roof, This project is a learn as you go operation , Look up as many previous repairs as you can find and take notes . As far as the supports you have to design and manufacture them yourself , The rubber roof material (or aluminum sheet) are available. Trailer repair shops will have them !  Good Luck Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

LJ-TJ

I was able to dig these up from some stuff I saved off this site. I haven't been able to dig up the hole story yet.

LJ-TJ

LJ-TJ

khantroll

I hired a carpenter to do mine. It's a combination of ripped 2x4s and arched 2x4s. So the material comes from literally any lumber yard. The arches are made cutting the 2x4 to the correct length, and then finding the dead center of them, then measure 7 inches out from dead center, and then mark it. Then measure 7 inches out the other side, and mark it. Then on the ends, measure the height of the sidewall, minus thickness of your decking. Mark that, and then draw a line connecting the two points. Then cut and smooth it out.

LJ-TJ

:)ThmbUp Sweet! Did you get any pictures. We like pictures. Lots and lots of pictures. Were guys. We don't read the directions we just look at the pictures. :)rotflmao Then we ask the wife to do it who reads the directions and gets it right the first time. D:oH!

khantroll

Lol. My fiance would certainly agree with you! I think I may have one of the ribs on hand. If and when I redo my ceiling I'll take pictures. I was actually out of town for most of the build, trying to coordinate it over the phone with the carpenter. I don't recommend doing that.