My first class A - 81 Holiday Rambler - lite restoration

Started by fasteddie313, September 15, 2015, 08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickf1985

That wire has the cuts in it from a mobile home outlet so I am guessing that it was an outlet? I doubt the panel is set up for lights and receptacles separately but that could be something to look for. Do you have an outside receptacle in line with that wire and above it on the outside? If so that is where I would be looking for the water ingress into the wire. And kill the power on that wire!!!!! Make damn sure the ground circuit from the coach to the house AC connection is good or you may get electrocuted just by grabbing the door frame getting in. If the water is inside of that wire there is going to be electrical leakage and if you have no ground then the whole RV is hot! !-!

fasteddie313

Quote from: Rickf1985 on October 08, 2015, 09:32 PM
That wire has the cuts in it from a mobile home outlet so I am guessing that it was an outlet?
I doubt the panel is set up for lights and receptacles separately but that could be something to look for. Do you have an outside receptacle in line with that wire and above it on the outside?
If so that is where I would be looking for the water ingress into the wire. And kill the power on that wire!!!!! Make damn sure the ground circuit from the coach to the house AC connection is good or you may get electrocuted just by grabbing the door frame getting in. If the water is inside of that wire there is going to be electrical leakage and if you have no ground then the whole RV is hot! !-!

Yes it went to one of those wire pinching outlets, this one is power into the outlet and the other is power out of the outlet..

I'm pretty shure the outside receptical is the other wire coming off of this outlet.. I better make real sure and double check, but I think this one goes up the wall toward the ceiling..

I think the RV ground is good, the walls do not electrocute me.. Yet.. 

I'll take the GF out there to read the meter while I flip the breakers n chase it down..

circleD

I was about to say. Even with the custom window the outside outlet wiring would still be there. It should be the breaker box on the left at the bottom. Towards the rear of the RV

fasteddie313

Figuring out the wire at the breaker was inconclusive really, it does not run on the same line as the AC.. I figured it out though..

I took about 1.5" of brake line and jammed it into the end of the wire under the outer insulation, wrapped some electrical tape aroud the wire where the brake line was inside, put a hose over the taped part with a hose clamp, and stuck it on my air compressor..

It made the anaconda wire look more like a puff adder and I was able to hear air rushing out all the way in the ceiling behind the fridge, somewhat under the fridge vent on the roof but under ceiling board to the exterior wall side.. There was some bad caulk there where the roof metal hits its first sheet of siding metal, also where the awning thing goes across the whole side..

I re-caulked that whole trim front to back and I guess I'll just wait until it rains to find out if my wire quit trying to be a water line..
If it doesn't rain I may use the hose.. 

Rickf1985

If water is getting into the wire then you have a bad spot in the wire somewhere at the same place you have water and that is a real bad combination.

DRMousseau

Eddie has the cutest li'l "old school" analog meter he tests circuits with. Can hardly believe it still functions since they usually burn up in the hands of young folks, but he seems to know how to use it.

And I imagine he's experienced with the "110/220 Chicken Dance" and has "quick draw" lightning reflexes too!!! Never know about dem snakes!!! LoL!

I now make a quick test whenever I have my meter out, by pushin' a probe into some damp dirt and touchin' the chassis, door handle, and other spots for any "leakage" when on the shore line. It HAPPENS!!! Usually a faulty shoreline extension cord or outlet, but if not,.... then your gonna be watchin' for OTHER problems. Like wet AC lines!!!!
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

fasteddie313

Hey, they still make and sell them to this day...
http://www.rammeter.com/triplett-3022-model-310c-hand-held-analog-multimeter-600-ac-dcv.php

Though iirc mine is a 1973 and takes the old 15v battery. Cheapest ones online now are about $125, good stuff, I got mine at goodwill for like $3 or something. Analog meters can be advantageous when you want to watch something move/change, you can watch the needle go rather than digital numbers scramble untill they find the new mean reading or whatever.
Beats the crap out of a new $15 Chinese meter but I wouldn't mind a more modern mid range fluke or something similar some day..

I like that "stick a lead in the dirt" idea, I'll definitely try that..

So far I'm assuming that water is getting into this wire where the fridge 110 splices into it, also assuming that the fridge 110 splices into it there. I don't know that for sure but it's a bit more optimistic than "squirrel chewed wire" or any other plausible hypothesis I can come up with at the moment..

The only thing I really do know is that in order to get to this wire where the air hisses out would mean removing my refrigerator and pulling down some ceiling above/behind it because the wire hiss is IN the ceiling right on the edge next to the wall directly above the fridge where the fridge 110 goes too I believe. The same carpeted ceiling as the rest of the coach, I would rather not do all that if I can help it..

DR. I still need to come take a gander at your rig some time if you are still up for that. Been a lot of stuff going on lately..

boohoo222

I have a question,, you mentioned earlier about the washing machine area, I don't have an area like that, just bought mine the same as yours
1978 dodge coachmen class c 23ft                       1978 chevy open road class b

fasteddie313

Quote from: boohoo222 on October 10, 2015, 06:47 PM
I have a question,, you mentioned earlier about the washing machine area, I don't have an area like that, just bought mine the same as yours

I'll snap a pic of it later today along with some new progress pics..

fasteddie313

Got my living room wall and floor all put back together with a new piece of paneling and 3/4 OSB subfloor.. Real pita..

This is that washing machine area.. It has hot and cold hookups there with a tall drain tube for a washer.. Replaced some floor there too.. All subfloor replacing is now done..

See my 2 boxes of wood flooring there in the shower area waiting for me :)

Front half is pretty much done besides some stuff on the dash, nothing really needs to be done in this beds area so it is loaded storage since I am in the middle of putting all new cabinets in my kitchen in my house right now..

All thats really left to do is make a shower base (thinking tile), bathroom floor, cracked sink, sink faucet is fubare etc.. Bathroom work from here on out..

Since I have been through the carbs and fuel system on the genny and engine they both run excellent now..

fasteddie313

I'm making an airlock dock to my house..
https://youtu.be/a3lcGnMhvsA

Like that except for less spinning and my house isn't falling apart quite that bad..
It will basically be a telescopic hallway..
The main framed section attaches to the house and I'm going to build an inner "airlock" frame that will slide into the open end of the main hallway frame that will have a couple feet of telescope action, and seal around the main door of my Rambler..

So with the Rambler detached the airlock frame is slid in, pull the Rambler up aligned, level it, side the airlock frame out to seal around the Rambler door, BAM, Houston we have contact..

fasteddie313

Also much progress has been made on my Rambler.. Little stuff..
My bathroom sink is gorgeous..
I have been replacing all the crap plastic sinks, faucets, etc, with nice stainless and chrome pieces.. The best stuff I can find in the junkyards..
Some of the really old and more rare motor homes have higher end accessories inside..