What is small part next to oil sending unit?

Started by acenjason, September 13, 2015, 06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acenjason

So, I finally tracked down my oil leak in my 440 to a small part on the  passengers side of the back top of crank case to the right (or passenger side) of the oil sending unit. It looks like it might be a senser. It is a steel base then  rubber with a terminal on top connected to a wire. I can't figure out what part this is from looking in the parts manual. I also am having trouble removing it. When I have looked at pictures of the oil sending units on other 440s and they actually have a bolt where I have this odd little part. I would love some help figuring out how to fix this. Thanks in advance for the advice. :)

Rickf1985

That sounds like the oil pressure sending unit but the rubber is throwing me? It should be a bakelite type hard plastic. No matter, it is screwed into the block, it has 1/8 inch pipe threads. They make a special socket that will fit it but  pair of vice grips or channel locks will work just as well. Grip the metal area, not the plastic and do not squeeze to hard if using Vice gripes. It should not be all that tight. When you put the new one in put two turns of teflon tape on the threads of the new sender but make sure you do not get it below the bottom threads. Turn it in by hand and snug it with the pliers, use common sense when tightening.

acenjason

Hey thanks. That wierd shape explains why i am having trouble. My 1975 D21 has a sheet metal plate that holds elictrical components bolted onto the back of the block which makes grabbing the senser with pliers impossible. The only way is down. Do you no what that special socket is called? I think I have to have it.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Oil pressure sending unit for an electrical gauge

Oil pressure unit for the idiot light

Oil sending unit socket
[move][/move]

acenjason

Rickf1985

As usual, Dave is on it with pictures. :)ThmbUp As a side note, if the new one has that little band of sealant on the threads like the one in the picture then you do not need the teflon tape.