How many hours for head gasket?

Started by acenjason, September 08, 2015, 12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acenjason

OK, so I had oil running down the side of my 440 in my 1975 D21. It was coming from a leaking valve cover. However, after getting the new gasket in place it became apparent that I have another leak coming from lower. The oil seems to be coming from where the head meets the motor. It is running down the back of the Bell housing and onto the exaust pipe. If it is coming from that area I am guessing that is a head gasket failure. Has anyone had a head gasket job done? I so how many hours does it take for a mechanic to do in a eyebrow Winnebago? Just a ball park answer would be appreciated..... Thanks in advance :)

JessEm

Don't know the answer to that question, sorry. But I can give you the name of a RV dealer/station to AVOID... They estimated 7 hours for a master cylinder in an eyebrow they wouldn't even have to take off a tire to get at, and that was "If they didn't run into any other problems."

It must cost a lot to keep the lights on in those places.

fasteddie313

Elandan2

Be sure to check your oil pressure sending unit and switch (if equipped).  They are located at the rear of the engine and a leak will run down the back of the engine and bell housing as you are describing.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

MotorPro

Pretty rare for a head gasket to leak oil. Look carefully around the intake gasket.

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteBe sure to check your oil pressure sending unit and switch (if equipped).

I second the motion
[move][/move]

M & J

M & J

ClydesdaleKevin

Yep.  When those oil senders leak, they really leak!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

Also check your PCV valve to be sure it is clean and working. If it is not you will build pressure in the engine and that can blow out seals and cause leaks at places like the rear main seal and the intake gaskets.

acenjason