Rear leaf spring sag

Started by GG in Oklahoma, September 04, 2015, 12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GG in Oklahoma

Saw your posts discussing air bag suspensions and thought you might have some info on what I'm looking into.

Recently purchased a 1977 Dodge MB-400 25-foot Minnie Winnie (Class C) that, except for the fact it hardly got used (33,000 miles), it's in really good condition.  I haven't had it out a lot while I'm going through items that probably would be fine if it had been driven and maintained but, of course, you don't see a need to maintain something you're not using.

My question now is the rear leaf springs.  There is literally no arc to the springs at all.  While looking into replacing them, I talked with a truck spring installer in the OKC area who mentioned that some motorhomes did in fact come out with no-arc rear leaf springs.  Reason was to keep the profile low.  He said he had even seen one or two with a negative arc.  I wonder if you've encountered or remember anyone else talking about this condition.  The thing that makes me think this might actually be a possibility is that both sides appear to be the same.  The right rear side does sit a little lower and I believe that is the fault of the generator.  Even with that, I still see no difference in appearance of the springs on either side.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

ClydesdaleKevin

A 77 would more than likely had arched leaf springs, and after so many years, they are probably sagging...but can be replaced or re-arched.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

chicknnhead

I have 76 dodge mb-300 21 foot Class C. the springs were shot and the rear was sagging. bad if I hauled something
you can get them re-arched, but I just bought new. from St. Louis Spring
it was not to hard I do think, but wasn't easy either. I replaced the shocks at the same time with bilstein shocks...huge difference!

new springs and shocks

stance before, which doesn't look too bad but when I would put weight on her, it would not hold

stance after, and she holds weight just fine now