How tight for valve cover nuts

Started by acenjason, September 04, 2015, 06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acenjason

I am putting new valve cover gaskets on the old 440 this weekend. I am looking to find out how tight to screw the nuts down. My mechanic friend told me to make sure not to over tighten the nuts. However, he failed to say how tight is over tight. Any advice on this would be awesome. I don't want to mess up the new gaskets..... Thanks for reading :)

ClydesdaleKevin

Not sure of the torque specs, but I've always had good luck with valve covers by using a small 1/4 inch socket wrench, and then choke up high on it, and snug them down.  It prevents you from tightening them up too much...especially if you are like me and tend to overtighten (monkeyfist) everything...lol!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DaveVA78Chieftain

40 in lbs which is less than 5 ft lbs.  Those 1/4" bolts can snap off real easily.
[move][/move]

WyzrdX

Last time I did mine I snugged them by hand then did 1/2 turn with ratchet and that was enough. Never had a problem or leak.

If you over tighten them the gasket will start to squeeze out or you will snap the head off of the bolt which is worse.
"The only source of knowledge is experience" - Albert Einstein

A Crowded Camper is better than an Empty Mansion.... Says Who?????

TerryH

You also want to check the cover bolt holes for dimpling. If there is any, flatten them out. Same thing if you ever remove the oil pan.
Terry
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

acenjason

Cool :) Thanks guys. I am doing the first one this afternoon. Wish me luck! :)clap

mvptarheel

The screws don't have to be torqued down at all. Barely more than finger tight. Then go back an hour or two later and take out the slack.

I found that if I wait a day or so the cork gaskets will seal to the rough surface of the motor by themselves,  so don't crank it up until at least tomorrow, or you'll likely have an oily mess!