77 Travco 320, any good?

Started by fasteddie313, September 03, 2015, 12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

I agree with TripleJ...the P30 chassis and 454 engine and GM transmission combo are hard to beat in the classic years.  It is what I always recommend to my friends now, especially have fulltiming it for SO many years, and SO many hard and heavy miles.

Rick is a voice of reason, although he's as doom and gloomy as Eyore on some things...lol!  But he's right...tongue weight on a P30 chassis doesn't even come CLOSE to the tongue weight usable by a commercial chassis like the Prevost.  That said though, PULL weight is just fine on almost all classic rigs, provided you are towing 4 wheels down, and for safety use a braking device like a Brake Buddy.

And if you want a pretty older exotic looking rig, in my opinion the Holiday Rambler is right up there in beauty.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

What happened to the post about the Trailer Toad? I have been trying to find one of them used forever. They are THE way to tow heavy although you will pay the price in tolls for the extra axle.

fasteddie313

Pretty sure we just scored an 81 Holiday Rambler 33' rig for $1300.. :)

Needs all sorts of stuff fixed as expected.. Pics to come soon that the GF took.. 

fasteddie313

Pics..

https://flic.kr/s/aHskk5EKLb

It seems the GF took pics of anything and everything she didn't like.. I still need to look at them myself.

It runs great, trans is tight, but it's leaking fuel above the fuel tank and it's running off the side, lol.. Guess I gotta fix that..

Lot of latches/clips/lenses/randoms broken and missing, counter is screwed up etc..
Should keep me busy for a little while..

Froggy1936

Looks like it will make  excellent rig ! It has a lot of plus,s   Just needs a lot of things repaired , Looks like someone tried to break everything I wish I had looked around more for a larger rig . But would not want to rebuild that one today No energy left ! have fun & good luck Frank :)ThmbUp
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ClydesdaleKevin

I looked at all the pictures, and you sure do have your work cut out for you!  But overall you've got yourself a great coach for 1300 bucks!  Your shear springs are toast bro.  Give Mor/Ryde a call to find out replacement cost...lol!  You will NEED to replace them before making your maiden voyage.

The trim vinyl can be held in place at the apex with stainless steel screws.  It was the only thing that kept them in the track for us.

Don't feel overwhelmed though.  Just tackle one project at a time, and before you know it, you'll just be doing maintenance and upgrades, and the occasional repair.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

fasteddie313

Well I hope dude doesn't read this forum but this stuff is funny..

Every time I called this guy there was always someone coming to look at it, he always had 2 people lined up to buy it etc..

While we were there he kept getting "calls" on the motorhome, my GF is pretty sure it was his wife inside calling him acting like someone that wanted to buy it. I was completely oblivious that this was even going on because I was trying to avoid the guy so I could really check the rig out like I wanted to, not what he wanted to show me. But GF says that he got calls on the motorhome and was telling them he would have to call them back because someone was looking at it and GF says she heard the same voice 3 times and saw his wife in the house watching us on the phone at the same time..

Anyway dude has it listed for $2500, I dicker with him and find the fuel leak and all sorts of stuff wrong with it etc.. Then dude says hey's not taking less than $2k for it and I tell him we need to talk about it with each other and "consult with the experts" that I know.. He said he was offered $1200 for just the engine and trans and had turned them down, I said I'd give him $1200 for the whole rig to get it out of his yard and he responded that the genny is worth $800 yada yada no less than $2k..

I knew I was going to call him later to hardball some more but he totally beat me to it..

Most of the way home from there was a dead zone, and we stopped at an RV dealer checking out brand new 5th wheels and stuff. When we got done browsing $40K sheds on wheels we got out of there and got service a ways down the road and her phone went nutz..

16 missed calls from this guy and we weren't even gone like 2 hours.. He said he was trying to catch us before we left town yada yada, what will you offer me etc..

I said 1350, he heard 1300, blah blah hey'll take the $1300 because he needs money for some kids etc..

He says it's a done deal and we will pay cash in full on monday.. Maybe tuesday..

I know it's rough but that kinda just leaves us with more fix it budget.

Say we plan to budget $5k into a MH between now and next fall that leaves us $3700 to get the thing into shape. I super DIY and have access to a great junkyard at almost family prices, close family friends I guess back generations..

Maybe I am a bit naive but I think $3700 budget with all DIY labor and great shopping could do a heck of a lot to get this rig into decent condition and probably even stay above water because these things seem to have decent resale potential/hold there value a bit more than average and I don't think there is going to be much more depreciation going on from here on out..   I see these things going from 6-10 K on RVtrader and don't find that many cheap ones out there as in even less than 5k for pretty decent machines..

I almost feel like it may be a decent investment but I know it's likely just that big shiny grill deceiving me..

TripleJ

Heres my thoughts again, whether you like them or not! :D

First of all the seller sound like a scam on two legs.  Be sure to check and double check everything he has told you, and don't leave anything up to trusting his word (re: clean title, what work has been done to it, etc.)

Im not gonna lie. It is intimidating to me just looking at the pics, and knowing what Ive done to mine.  Saying that, it is VERY close to mine (a 28 foot version) down to the same dashboard, vinyl color, and even the remnants of the original carpet color! 

Ive had mine for a year and a half, and just now getting to where I can trust it to go the distance(10 hour days and two little kids doesn't help me find the time to wrench), but we are really starting to have fun with it. 

I think I understand why people spend the big dollar on motorhomes.  They are really fun :)ThmbUp

'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

ClydesdaleKevin

I agree...if the guy was that dodgy, then make sure the title is clean.  That's a big deal.  The rest of the work?  Not all that big a deal...although 3700 bucks can go pretty quick, especially if you have to replace high dollar items like the tires (1200 minimum to replace all 6, not including the spare), 1200.00 for a new fridge if it needs replacement, unless you find a SWEET deal like we did, and it was still 800.00.  And those shear springs are about 150.00 each, and it looks like you have 2 per side, so that's going to be 600.00.  Don't let that discourage you though...just take it one project at a time as you can afford it.

Kev

fasteddie313

The seller was dodgy for sure but I got the feeling he generally felt bad when I showed him it's leaking and the soft spot above inside a cabinet, and then the fuel leak.. He kinda changed his tone, said he honestly didn't know that and he seemed bummed..

I know it's going to need tires, it needs rears badly, seller says the fronts are pretty new and they don't have any cracking, couldn't find the date codes so who knows..
It seems any 80's MH I find is going to need tires, every one, so it's kinda a given..

And this beast has 6 tires in the back, single on the tag and dualies on the drive axle, I thought these had 4 rear tires, 2 sets of singles, but the rear of this one is dualies and a set of singles on the tag.. So yeah, 8 tires total on this behemoth..

He says both the ACs work, and the fridge will freeze your stuff if you turn it up too high, and the generator runs good but like always can't run the genny because there isn't enough fuel in the tank. The propane line was off of the hot water heater and the reset button on it is broken so who knows what's going on there, I do have another hot water heater in my old 5th wheel and can scavenge that for parts plus 15+ rigs in the junkyard..

I don't want to just take the sellers word for it that stuff works but it's kinda impractical to try to test everything so I guess it's just a gamble.

I'll start a new thread for the fuel problem to get it home..

legomybago

Those are neat rigs. Your 3,700 will be gone quick my friend. Quick. You have your work cut out for you. If your really thrifty, and have a knack for improvising repairs, and using cost cutting supplies and ideas, you'll get further on that dollar. I hope you get it on the road!! :)clap Oh yeah, not sure how far you need to go on those tires? Be careful
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

TripleJ

Imo the tires will get you home no problem. Air them up and take it slow.

More likely problems are fuel system. Locate the first fuel filter in the engine circuit and buy a pocket full of those filters for the drive home.

Take a couple qts of brake fluid with you. You will use it all in the next year anyhow so dont be stingy.

Dunno how far you need to drive it, but a good bottle of radiator leak stop may save some time also.

And youre right. ANY $2000 rig is going to need tires, so dont think twice about that.

Dont forget your voltmeter to ensure that it is charging witth the engine running.

Make sure the engine and tranny are topped off, then spill/fill both first thing when u get home. You know this alreDy W% W%

Good luck!!
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

fasteddie313

Quote from: legomybago on September 11, 2015, 01:16 PM
If your really thrifty, and have a knack for improvising repairs, and using cost cutting supplies and ideas, you'll get further on that dollar.

I built this..

Including one off custom front mount intercooler plumbing and build my own hybrid turbos etc.
It's running a full Bar of boost (14.5psi), silly fast, big brakes, and I'm in the process of installing standalone fuel control right now that is kinda prototype technology and am kinda semi-sponsored for it to try it out and put it on my car.. I

I believe I still have less than $3500 into the car total still..

Thrifty improvising cost cutting crazy ideas is kinda what I do :)

Now how cool would that be eh? 80 Porsche Turbo pulled 4 down behind an 81 Rambler..

And the Rambler is 39.9 miles from my house so says google maps..

Rickf1985

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on September 09, 2015, 08:22 PM

Rick is a voice of reason, although he's as doom and gloomy as Eyore on some things...lol! 

After driving a heavy tow rig for a few years and towing many RVs for any number of reasons from normal breakdowns to major accidents and yes, broken frames and suspensions from overweight. Had one break the rear cap right off and was dragging on the ground. Towing a loaded 30 foot enclosed car trailer with a race car in it. Guess where it broke? Yes, I can be doom and gloom but I have seen it and towed it. And I am a master mechanic and a fabricator so I know what is going on under these things. Sorry, I don't try to be that way, I am just the type that tells it like it is. Hm?

DaveVA78Chieftain

:)  Not to worry Rick.  We appreciate your unique insight
Dave
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

I love your posts Rick.  You are very insightful, and know what you are talking about.  Just good fun and friendly banter.  :D

Kev

fasteddie313

ClydesdaleKevin

Oz

I'll tell you, if anyone love the vintage eyebrow winnies, it's me.  But after seeing all these HRs?  If I had the money, I do believe that's what I'd want if I were going to live in one full-time! Absolutely gorgeous RVs!

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

HandyDan

After you get it home and settled, we'll tell you all the bad stuff and how to work around it.  Enjoy your new home on wheels.  It's going to take a money hit at first, but once you get the basics under control, the rest will come in time.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

fasteddie313

Everything went according to plan..

Blew a tire on the way back at about 35 of the 40 miles home..

RR tag..

Good thing I planned for that, I did go borrow a spare last minute from the junkyard before I left.

Now it's home..

All in all it went pretty well. Neither front airbag would hold any air, I think it stuck on the high idle tick from the auto choke or something, primary butterfly don't want to come all the way back to the throttle stop for some reason but it ran great..
It didn't get too hot ever, stayed under the half mark, but had problems with it dieseling after I shut it off, not too sure whats up with that..

My stomach dropped just after leaving with it like "OMG what have I done.." but now that it's actually home the more I look at it the more I like it..

HandyDan

I know exactly how you feel.  When I first bought my HR, It took me six hours to go the distance that normally takes two and a half.  My HR had about as much wrong with it as you have, however, I had new tires put on before I left, since the old ones were pretty much shredded.  The motor kept dying every 10 miles.  Later I discovered it was a wire to the gasoline cutoff valve that was barely touching.  It had enough "spring" to it to stay in contact but ever so often it would come off enough to kill the motor.  It would fall back in place after a minute or two, and off we would go again.  Had I known what it was, it would have made the trip a whole lot easier.  That is why I asked if it had the dual fuel (propane/gasoline) option.  You don't have that valve to worry about.  You don't want to be in traffic when the motor quits.  It will be all you can do to put on brakes or steer.  It instills a very sharp pucker factor. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

DRMousseau

Well Eddie,... I've exhausted all efforts on locating that Travco around here. Jus ain't nowhere to be found.

And like others here, I gots this soft spot for classics, and I fell hard for the ol' '73 Winnebago. To bring a smile of appreciation, or brighten a long past memory of folks wherever you go, jus makes it all worthwhile!!! It's like walkin' into a history book for young folks, and kids jus luv "a tiny house-on-wheels"!!! And the rumble of a "Big-Block 440" stands out with pride in any crowd today,... EVERYONE takes notice. And it's even nicer when so much of my Classic was still clean, working, and pretty much all original. I suppose if I had a good financial base though,... I too, might look at something a bit more "modern". Like I said, I'm not really prejudiced in any way,... so I too took the step "out-of-the-box" today. Sealed the deal on what will be my new home.

And jus a bit embarrassed too,.... only cause the deal was jus too sweet of a dream to be true. But for only $1500,... well, I'll be moving into some comfort later this week. Needs a tune-up, and typical servicing,... and maybe some "comfort" work, like getting the genny back into the system, and replacing that TV, making sure heat, propane, water, and all other systems are good too, and of course, a through inspection. But I see nothing that would keep me from runnin to Florida next week if I desired so. Tires, brakes and drivetrain are FAR better than I could have imagined, and it all seems ready to go.
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

DRMousseau

Oh,... and the inside???
Guess I jus gotta move in and make it home!!!
Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

DRMousseau

Even the bathroom is clean and ready!!!
Shoulda got a pic of that shower/tub! Dang!
Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor