Southern Ohio Renaissance Faire.

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, August 30, 2015, 08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Hey guys!  I know...I've been remiss in my posts.  Haven't been spending much time on any forums, although this one is my absolute favorite!  Most of the little time I spend on the internet anymore is Facebook to unwind after work.

Anyhow...its a new chapter!  Since my last postings, I have replaced my compartment locks, repaired my damaged rear compartment door, and replaced the bumper on our tow vehicle, the Blazer, since the stock one wasn't up to the task of towing it all over the country.

So a couple of gratuitous pictures taken today as we traveled to Waynesville, Ohio for the Ohio Renaissance Faire!

We are all set up in camp, and for the month that we are here, I will be doing more RV projects, and will try to keep you all in the loop.  My apologies for by absence everyone.  I really do love and cherish you all, and how awesome this forum is!

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

We got the rig all leveled yesterday morning, and started setting up our booth.  And then it got SUPER hot and humid!  It is just 240 miles south of our last Faire, but MAN is it a lot hotter down here!  At least we have 30 amps, so running the AC is no problem.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

WyzrdX

Yeah we have family in Cincy and they are saying it has gotten hot. Although We are in Arkansas so what to them is hot to us is great  :D .

Good luck at the fair hope it goes well. Hope to see pics of it since I cant be there this year.
"The only source of knowledge is experience" - Albert Einstein

A Crowded Camper is better than an Empty Mansion.... Says Who?????

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks!  We spent today re-familiarizing ourselves with the area and hit a couple of thrift stores.  I sure am glad the AC is blowing ice cold now in the Blazer! 

Kev

Elandan2

Hey Kev, I see in that last picture you have yourself one mighty fine "persuading" tool.   :)rotflmao
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL!  The new custom bumper on the Blazer was a very tight fit along the frame rails...it had to be coaxed into place with that big hammer and block of wood in order to bolt it to the frame.  Now it will tow behind the rig safely.  Super strong!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

The booth is all set up, all the catapults are built for the 3 day weekend, all the marshmallows are bought and on deck...and we are ready to open!  SWEET!

And the guy on Craigslist finally emailed me back, and the Brake Buddy is still available!  The complete setup, including the break away feature and remote monitor...350 bucks!  I'll be buying it after the 3 day weekend if he still has it...but its been 2 months already and he hasn't sold it yet.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/pts/5127774493.html

Kev

WyzrdX

I wish I could get a deal like that. But alas I am resigned to my unlucky state  :'(

HandyDan

Is this brake buddy different from the one you sold from the jeep?
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

Yep Dan.  Its the modern version...so instead of a pendulum, it uses a gyroscopic setup and I believe an onboard computer.  They are supposed to work much more efficiently than the older ones.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

So a 120 mile round trip later, the Brake Buddy is mine!  Its not perfect...one cable end on the brake away system has to be repaired, but the part is there for the repair...and the air pump is loose on its mounts, and the bottom is held in place with tamper proof torx screws...which of course I don't have in my toolbox, but I just ordered a set on eBay so I can open it up and tighten down the pump on its mounts.  Other than that, it works perfectly!  Even came in the original box!  And unlike the original metal box version I had, this one actually retracts the brake piston arm pneumatically instead of just relying on the back pressure of your brake pedal spring (which caused us grief with the original until I added a heavy duty bungee cord to the mix to retract the piston arm...lol!).  So its not perfect...but for 350 bucks?  I'm quite happy with the deal!  I haven't figured out how the Remote Alert system is supposed to work...the manual is missing so I'll have to look it up, and the guy I bought it from never used it towing his little Saturn. 

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

I looked up and downloaded the manuals for the Brake Buddy, and it is the Classic, as they call it.  Pretty simple, and when I tested the remote alert system, it works just the way its supposed to.  SWEET!  We spent all day building catapults yesterday, and will be doing the same for the next 2 days.  We almost sold out this opening 3 day weekend, and have a lot of stock to replenish!  Busy busy busy!  I did manage to get the oil changed on the Blazer while out running errands on Tuesday, and we also dropped off and picked up our laundry and had the RV greywater tanks pumped out.  Which is about all we'll accomplish THIS week!

Kev

HandyDan

I love reading your posts.  You have the most interesting life, and work harder than anyone I know.  I hope the Brake Buddy works as well as you expect it to. 
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks Dan!  Sorry I took a hiatus!  I'm hoping the Brake Buddy works out as well...but if nothing else, it will keep me from getting a ticket via plausible deniability...lol!  I love our lifestyle and what we do, despite occasional hardships and having to fix and upgrade things...but that's part of the fun!  I look at things that happen, good and bad, as a part of the adventure we call life.  I have such a positive attitude, some folks think I'm retarded...lmao!

We spent another long long day in the workshop, and will have another one tomorrow...but we'll get it all done, and have another great sales weekend!

My daughter, who married a Submariner, just got back stateside from Pearl Harbor...so she and her hubby who I haven't met yet, and their 2 kids are coming to the Faire on Saturday, and we'll be taking them out to dinner afterward.  I've only seen my one grandson once, and have yet to meet the newest little guy!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

HOLY CRAP did we build a lot of catapults in 3 days!  It was a long day today, and we didn't finish up until around 7:30pm...but in 3 days we busted out around 3500.00 worth of stock.  SWEET!  As tired as we are, we hope we nearly sell out again this weekend!  Lets hope for great weather both days.  Last weekend was hotter than heck...and it was hot and humid until Wednesday...and now its almost cold outside.  Odd weather here, for sure!

Kev

WyzrdX

I miss the weather up there. It is one reason my wife and I are going to be full timing. We love colder weather and have plenty of country to find it :)

ClydesdaleKevin

My daughter and her husband brought my 2 grandkids to Faire today, and then we went out to dinner afterwards.  DANG I have cute grandkids!  I gave my older grandson a catapult, and my son in law one as well so they could battle...and bought an adorable stuffed Ood for my youngest.  He loved it!  They were transferred to Virginia Beach, which isn't all that far from the Carolina Renfaire, so hopefully we'll get to see them a few times this fall.

Kev

Froggy1936

Hey Kev , Have them get some hearing protection. I stopped at the R/V place in Virginia Beach A couple years ago The Navy flys there jets everyday from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM  They came over upon landing you could make out the rivet heads on the planes Then they apply the reverse thrusters all dogs vanish ! It is Noisy ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL Frank!  Its not that bad usually.  We lived there for a couple of years while I was stationed in Norfolk.

A nice weekend overall!  Although Jack Handy was supposed to show, and we never saw him. 

We are exhausted!  After getting materials tomorrow, I think I am going to take the rest of the day off (but will probably fix the brake buddy first, since my tamper proof torx tools came in).

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

I picked up another Nordic Track ski machine on Craigslist today, after working on the catapults.  I had one and used it every day and lost a WHOLE lot of weight...but sold it when we had the Jeep Wrangler YJ because it took up so much room.  LOTS of room in the K5 Blazer!  Morning workouts are a go!  PT is hard to do consistently when you are a fulltimer.  And the Nordic Track is about the only intense workout I can do after my back surgery without killing my back.  SWEET!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

We've been so busy building catapults, that nothing much else has been done.  I haven't even had time to fix the Brake Buddy yet.  We had another amazing and awesome day today at the Ohio Renaissance Faire , and are sure to have another one tomorrow.  And then on Monday we have to cut out a bunch of parts for the Carolina Renaissance Festival, clean up the workshop space in our booth, pack down completely, and get ready to travel to Huntersville, NC.  Our friends that franchised from us will be taking over Ohio for the last 4 weekends, while we finish out our season in North Carolina.  We'll be leaving here on Tuesday, and the next chapter will begin, North Carolina 2015!

Kev

circleD

I hope to see you two again at the fair in NC this year. As always let me know if you need anything when you get down here.

ClydesdaleKevin

Holy crap what a busy weekend!  Plans have changed since we are so low on stock.  We have to leave tomorrow!  I have to pack down the booth and clean the workshop area, and get all of our workshop tools ready to stow away (our franchisees store them in a friends booth at the end of the show), load up everything in the RV and truck, top off all fluids, gas up, and hit the road as early as we can.  We HAVE to make the 435 mile trip in one day and be in Huntersville, NC tomorrow night.  And then set up our camp and workshop and display tent on Tuesday...which will give us 3 days to rebuild our stock before opening weekend next Wednesday.  Holy Buckets!  Its going to be a hectic week!!!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

About to go pack down the booth and get us ready to hit the road...so thus endeth this chapter!!!

Kev

RedneckExpress

Good to see your back Kevin, you've been gone so long I bought another old Truck Camper :p
Follow along with me as I full-time the Redneck Way in [url=http://