Headlight Conversion

Started by WyzrdX, August 21, 2015, 10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyzrdX

Hey all,

So I am still fiddling with Trolley and just finished replacing the tail lights. The new ones are much better looking and brighter than what I had before.

Of course I also realized I need to replace the turn signal switch. Gonna be a long weekend I guess.

Anyway, the reason for this post is I am replacing the headlights and as we all know the old 7" sealed bulbs are not as bright as some of the newer lights that are available.

However I found this on Amazon and ordered a pair. http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OMEPEU?colid=1T26UZI0FCKWN&coliid=I2EZUAQVL56YZC&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

They take H4/9003 bulbs. I have another vehicle that uses the H4 and the lights are bright so I am going to install them in Trolley and see what kind of difference they make in visibility.

Has anyone used anything like this to upgrade the headlights in their older coach? Any feedback is great.

Gene
"The only source of knowledge is experience" - Albert Einstein

A Crowded Camper is better than an Empty Mansion.... Says Who?????

JessEm

DRMousseau

I too have considered headlight conversions. These shown are apparently not DOT certified and approved,... hence the low price that I feel really isn't a good value.

I'm personally considering the Hella sealed Halogen conversions,... over $50 EACH!!! Far better than the standard sealed beam that jus isn't enough!!! AND a legal replacement.
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteThese shown are apparently not DOT certified and approved

Seems to be a conflict about that.  From Summit Racing:

QuoteIPCW's precise engineering, fanatical attention to detail, and unmatched fit and finish are what make them a true leader in the aftermarket lighting industry. These IPCW conversion headlights feature a 7 in. round crystal-clear lens with high-beam illumination for improved visibility, especially during night driving. These conversion headlights are DOT/SAE/FMVSS-108 compliant to keep you legal, whether you're driving on the road or blazing across the trails.

If interested in these, I would contact IPCW at ipcwinfo@gmail.com to find out for sure.
[move][/move]

Froggy1936

Without DOT certification they will not pass Pennsylvania State Inspection !  Frank Licenced Pa Inspector !
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

WyzrdX

I did find the Hella kit at Amazon but all it says is DOT approved. I dont have the inspection issue to be concerned with although I spend alot of time in PA. But I would like to get DOT certified so I have them if ever needed.
"The only source of knowledge is experience" - Albert Einstein

A Crowded Camper is better than an Empty Mansion.... Says Who?????

DRMousseau

IF these truly are DOT SAE approved, then I would be VERY INTERESTED!!! The replacement bulb is readily available anywhere!!!

And that's what stops me bad on the Hella halogen sealed beam. The high cost of a "special order" headlight combined with poor availability has kept me from upgrading the inadequate OEM sealed beams!

IF these ARE approved light conversions, they will be indelibly marked as such, either by stamp or molded in. Summit is quite dependable and I jus might order 3 of these soon,.... the bulb may readily available anywhere, but it's that housing that's most fragile!
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

DaveVA78Chieftain

I provided a link to the actual manufacture in my previous post so you could ask the question   W%
[move][/move]

Oz

QuoteHas anyone used anything like this to upgrade the headlights in their older coach?

Yes, people have upgraded their original headlights. A message search with just: headlight

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,3858.msg10482.html#msg10482
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca