Onan Generator cranks but doesn't start, shoots sparks!

Started by Woodybago, July 27, 2015, 10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodybago

Why does my 74d-19 brave have a Generac generator instead of an Onan? I have a manual for it but it has no directions on how to start it. When I push the start button it cranks over but doesn't start. What's more, sparks fly out from a rear motor mount when I try to start it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Rickf1985

The sparks would be due to a bad ground connection. The fact that it has the Generac is probably due to someone replacing the original. As far as starting have you checked to see if you are getting gas to the carb? Do you have at least half a tank of gas in the vehicle and if you have two tanks is there enough gas in the tank the generator is hooked to?

DaveVA78Chieftain

Original Onan or Kohler generator was replaced by previous owner.
[move][/move]

lemortede

I find it helpful to just drop the generator out of the motorhome to work on it. Once you know the unit by its self is functional you can work integration issues.

Woodybago

Thanks Rick
I,ll check that out and see if that is the problem.

Rickf1985

I should have mentioned in my other post that the need for half a tank is due to the fact that these are set up so that the pick up for the generator is up a ways in the tank so there is no way you can run the vehicle out of gas by running the generator.

Rickf1985

I have never seen a positive ground generator in a negative ground vehicle. Positive ground went out in the 50's didn't it? Plus this one has been replaced with a newer model.

bluebird

I've never seen a positive ground generator either. The Generac won't be for sure. Check to make sure you have a good ground from the generator frame to the chassis frame. They may not have installed a ground cable when they installed the gen. The generac may have two rocker switches on it, one is the starter and the other is the prime button. They do go bad too, I've had to replace mine a couple of times because we use the outside starting quite a bit at the race track.