Correct 360 oil pressure?

Started by Rusty2867, July 27, 2015, 06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty2867

What kind of oil pressure are you guys seeing in your 360's? I just rebuilt mine with new bearings,rings,cam,lifters,oil pump,pickup tube,and timing chain.I am seeing about 80 psi on start up cold gradually falling as it warms up running at about 35 down the road.When idling drops to about 10,this worries me! I have two electric gauges on it and they both read pretty much the same.Oh and I did plastigage everything and was all in spec.Thanks,Todd

Froggy1936

Rusty, Did you replace the camshaft bushings ? This is a major loss of pressure location , Reexamine the old cam esp no 2 journal Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rusty2867

Yes the machine shop installed new cam bearings when they had the block.This isn't my first rebuild but I have never seen one drop this much.It is my first small block Mopar though! I am running Joe Gibbs 5w30 break in oil right now if that matters.Maybe it needs something with a little more viscosity?

DaveVA78Chieftain

Specs for 360-3 are 30 to 80 PSI.
[move][/move]

Rickf1985

Those specs are probably for the originally called for oil which was probably 10W-30 or 10W-40. That may make a difference. I would not worry too much until you get the right oil in it. The rule of thumb is 10lbs. per thousand rpm so at idle 10lbs. would be acceptable. I would not like it but I have a Jeep that has had that or less for 15 years and I run it hard.

Rusty2867

Yeah it shows in the Haynes manual minimum of 9lbs curb idle,I just wondered what you guy were seeing!

MotorPro

I always found it scary that Chrysler sets the sender for there oil pressure lights at 3 psi. They consider it sufficient.

DaveVA78Chieftain

With over 100,000 miles I run 80 at start up and it settles out around 30-45 depending on RPM
[move][/move]

Rickf1985

That is a well cared for engine! Regular oil changes and lack of abuse will do that for you. The 80 lbs. is a touch on the high side though, that is borderline oil filter popping pressure!

DaveVA78Chieftain

Only at start up when oil is cold.
[move][/move]

Rusty2867

I've been driving around a bit and seems to be ok,idling about 20 on factory guage 45-50 at speed 80 at start up.The factory guage cluster has a short and only works part time.That is my next project!

Rickf1985

You might want to make finding that short a priority before it lets the magic smoke out and then you much bigger problems.