Need 440 Motor Mounts

Started by MSN Member, November 28, 2008, 05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ISABELLSREVENGE1

Sent: 10/23/2003 12:15 PM

I just purchased a 1973 Indian and have had no luck on finding motor mounts for a M400 Dodge chassis [440 cid.] or locating a shifter cable for this model. The local Chrysler dealer was no help. The local jobbers don't have any listings for heavy duty trucks.  I would appreciate any information.

K. Dunlow
                                                           N.C.

denisondc

Sent: 10/23/2003 3:19 PM

I had your same problem. I got a shifter cable from an online seller: dartman67@aol.com. It was $108 with shipping, for my 72 indian with the 413. The shifter cable in the Dodge motor home chassis parts catalog looks like it would be the same number for a 73 with the 440. Its called a Control Cable, mopar p.n. 3641309. Its in catalog section 21. It’s the cable and sheath that runs from the shifter assembly on the dashboard down to the side of transmission. The rubber motor mount is mopar p.n. 2264675, same both left and right. Its in catalog section 9. dartman67 works best from the mopar numbers, which is why I give them to you. I bought my first set of motor mounts at a local truck supply place. Parts for my old winny are what those guy call light truck parts. I have two winnies though, and I got the 2nd set from ebay. The part numbers didnt match, but the mounts were the same. Incidentally, I installed the set in the first winny, cause the old ones were allowing metal to metal contact all the time. The result; I couldnt tell any difference in noise or vibration at all. The control cable -shifter cable- that I got from dartman67 had two numbers on it: M23802 and 563163209, though the chrysler motors box it was in had 03641309 on it. I would advise you to learn if your handbrake cable or cables is okay. If original, I bet that is stuck also. I ordered a replacement shifter cable for each of my winnies. I pay the guy with money orders. denison

Dave-Pam1

Sent: 10/23/2003 7:31 PM

K.
Also check your transmission mount, I was putting headers on my 73 Brave last spring and noticed it was rotted away from the oil on it. My engine actually was setting crooked in the frame...
David

james

Sent: 10/27/2003 1:05 PM

K Dunlow, where in NC are you located.. Dension covered your problem I use the same Guy for cables and such.
James
Benson NC

discoverer

Sent: 12/6/2003 10:49 AM

108 beans !! WOW....was this an ebay auction ? I will be SURE to save any and all GOOD shifter cables whenever I part out another MH !!!

tymhoff

Sent: 12/29/2003 12:32 AM

I had to get new motor mounts on my 73 Indian (RM350) today when I discovered that the fan was beginning to rub on the shroud from the engine sagging down.. I found them at NAPA part# 602-1115 for $8.99 each. They are the rubber parts of the mounts 2 bolts on one side and a larger, single bolt in the center of the other side. They also had the other kind of mounts with a single offset bolt on each side. By the way this is in San Diego, California

mrfxst

Hello All,

Thanks for all the info on this site. It has really made working and understanding my 1975 DL-27 Custom easy. I have a question. Do these look like the right motor mounts for my RV w/ 440?
NAPA Part # 642-1170
Thanks,
Scotty

]

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

DRMousseau

YES!!! Motor Mounts!!! NEXT on my list, along with replacing that blown exhaust ring.

And that shift cable???? http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,10543.msg59136.html#msg59136

BETTER than original!!! Will last MUCH longer,.... and costs Waaaaayyyy less. And if a replacement IS necessary, easily found at most auto parts stores.
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

mrfxst

Let me just say that if you have not check and or replaced motor and trans mounts do so NOW. I waited a little to late to replace mine. Now the engine and trans shifted forward and took out my brand new radiator, drive shaft Carrier bearing and  vac. port on vac brake booster.

Froggy1936

People do not realize the many dangers in broken motor mounts (that do not have safety brackets on them) THe engine can come out the frt destroying all in its way, or it can lift on one side and floor the throttle linkage wile making the shifter linkage inoperative This will test your undies  :'(  Check them ea season They do not last forever) ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

mrfxst

Dave,
Would this mount be the trans mount? I need on of those too.
Thanks,

Scotty

Rickf1985

Yes it is the transmission mount.

mrfxst

Thanks Rick! Just pick it up on Ebay.

PwrWgnWalt

Broke a motor mount on my 1977 Dodge M-500 today!

Installed new Edelbrock fuel pump and AutoMeter electric fuel pressure gauge, and had the engine cover off.  Was testing various loads, and suffice it to say I gave it a good rev, the drivers side lifted waaaaay up and the fan hit the shroud!  Yes, it was exciting, to say the least  $@!#@!    Thankfully, the motor mount was the extent of the damage.

To replace, took retaining screws out of radiator shroud to provide fan clearance, then placed a 2x4 along the drivers side of the oil pan rail, near front, and jacked up the engine.  Slow process of limited wrench-turning space, as mentioned previously, but in short order it was done. Interesting that the broken mount did not appear to be oil soaked, cracked, or in bad shape... Actually looked fairly new. The heat shield was in place (thin metal to protect from direct heat of nearby exhaust). The hard rubber sheared across the top bolt plate, looking at the picture below.

Had a set of Anchor 2235 motor mounts (from Summit, also available at many auto parts stores - same as NAPA 602-1115), since they're what my 1970 Dodge W200 uses. Turns out this style is what my 440 has on it - not sure this is correct for 1977 though, as the metal brackets bolted to the turquoise engine were orange!

Here is a picture of the Anchor 2235 I used:
Walt & Tina

DRMousseau

THANK-you WALT!!!!

THAT appears to be the mount I need for my replacements! And only $5 each at the local parts store!!! AWESOME!!! Gonna check it out this week for dimensions, but I'm bettin' this is IT!!!

I looked and looked at several different years and models for something similar to what I have,.... who would have guessed that sometimes ya gotta look WAY outside the expected areas.
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

PwrWgnWalt

Hi DR,

I believe there were only two styles of motor mounts Dodge used on their trucks from 1969 up through 1979 - both are pictured in this post thread.

If there are two bolts on the engine side (pointing upward, toward the engine block, into the bracket attached to the engine itself), the Anchor 2235 I picture would be correct - and that's for any engine size (318, 360, 440, etc.)   NAPA part # 602-1115   (on sale for $3.60 each !)

If you have only one bolt pointing upward to the engine, that would be the other motor mount pictured up above by mrfxst.  (NAPA Part # 642-1170).

Note that both motor mounts have a single bolt pointing downward, into the chassis mounting bracket.
Walt & Tina

DaveVA78Chieftain

The transmission mount is the $$ shocker due to limited availability.
[move][/move]