Fixing power steering fluid leak at steering column/steering box junction?

Started by acenjason, July 26, 2015, 11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acenjason

After discovering my power steering reservoir was empty,  I went exploring to find out why there was no fluid. I found a very slow drip when the motor was running. I followed it up and found that the leak was coming from where the column enters the steering box. I guess there must be an O ring that is leaking. Do you guys know if that ring can be switched out without taking the whole box out?

DaveVA78Chieftain

I am fairly sure there are repair kits available however I have no clue how hard it is.
[move][/move]

rustyzman

Expect that if the seals are leaking, there is probably also some associated wear in the bearings as well.  Check out an exploded or cutaway diagram in a service manual first and see what you are getting into.  Not sure what brand or type of gearbox you have, but a rebuilt may not be much money.

acenjason

Hey, do you know if this is a widely gear box? I would like to just switch it out to be safe. Thanks for the advice! :)

acenjason

I ended up getting the box for the m300 at the local parts shop. :D thanks for the help. :)clap

rustyzman

Excellent!  Good move on replacement.   Perhaps post the part number for future reference?