Steering wheel turns past left limit!

Started by acenjason, July 23, 2015, 03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acenjason

So, I was coming out of the mountains today and had something bad happen in one of the switch backs. When I was in a tight left turn instead of hiting the stop when the wheels were turned all the way the steering wheel just kept going. It sort of skipped three or 4 times and then stopped. I then stopped and tested turning the other way. The right turn stopped normally when the wheels were turned all the way. And upon testing the wheel kept skipping at the end of the left turn and being fine when the wheels were all the way pointed to the right. The motorhome seemed to be steering just fine during the 5 mile drive to my house. I realize now that I should have probably gotten towed home but I made it OK. Does anyone know what the heck is going on with it? Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Lukewarm256

First, get it checked out.

Things it could be:

The steering arm could be loose. If it was it would likley be more disastrous, but a possibility. It connects to the steering box, and most have a bolt to act like a clamp. It can stretch or break, and allow to arm to move. Don't drive it like this.

Or, bad steering box. It has gears in there to move the wheels, and they could be worn out, or need adjustment (most are adjustable with a lock screw on the case). This is the worst case scenario.

A sort of combonation. When doing an alignment, they are supposed to align the steering wheel so it sits  properly, when all the wheels are aligned. If the alignment shop didn't do that right, they could have pulled the steering arm off to move the wheel, while the wheels were turned. Meaning, the arm allows you to turn sharper one direction, or, too far. The steering box gets to the end of its range too soon, as a result. Way to see? Get the wheels straight, and if you have the steering g wheel straight at that point, that's half the battle. Count the turns from centered, to steering lock on each side. If they're the same, this isn't it.

I would, however, put my money on the bad steering box. May be able to adjust it if it's not too far gone. Is there play in the wheel? More than an inch before you get a response us a worn box. If you have a big steering wheel like mine, no more than 2/inches of play/wiggle.

acenjason

I have a bad feeling about the box. It has at least five inches of play. And I haven't ever had her aligned and this just happened today. I am going to slide under and make sure everything is tight. If so I might just switch out the box. Do you know where I might order one? Should I just take it to Napa and ask them for one? Or is this a piece that I need a time machine to the seventies to find? Thanks for your help:)

rustyzman

If you have 5 inches of play in the steering wheel, and all the other steering components are in good tight condition (i.e. the play is in the steering gearbox) then you need to replace it immediately.  A little play can be adjusted out of some steering gears, but that much, to the point of skipping at the steering limits, is downright dangerous.  I would not even consider a simple adjustment to a gearbox that has skipped without complete teardown and inspection first.  Just for your own safety.  You should be able to recreate the condition statically and check to see if that is where the trouble is.  I would suggest not driving at all for any reason until you have this corrected. 
My unit is a Dodge van chassis and I got mine from rockauto.  I suggest their Lares brand as a first choice.  Nice unit.  I had a very bad experience with the Cardone rebuilt I put in first that cost me a new radiator due to their poor rebuild (twisted or mis-timed sector shaft, turned way more to the one side than the other.  Pitman arm broke the radiator on the first test as I turned the wheel).  Professionally I have had many Cardone issues and avoid them whenever possible.  Mine was well under $100.00 once I sent in my core. 

legomybago

Part of your annual pre-trip inspection of your rv should involve a friend behind the steering wheel, engine off, cranking the wheel back and forth slowly while you lay underneath the rig looking at all the steering components. Look for anything loose. 5" of play is really dangerous, especially when your steering has a mind of its own. You shouldn't drive it until you figure out the prob. Good luck Hm?
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

acenjason

Hey, thanks guys! :) I am totally not going to drive her till this is fixed. It was spooky making it home. My dumb bum should have parked her right then. Anyway, My mom is going to sit and turn the wheel tomorrow so I can watch. I just have a bad feeling about that box. It felt like gears skipping. I am already wondering how hard a switch out would be......

rustyzman

Though I have not replaced one on your particular chassis, I have replaced a great many over the years when I was a Tech.  The most difficult part generally is removing the pitman arm from the gearbox.  Depending on your design, you may have to do this before removing the box or it may come out fine with it still on.  Rent, buy or borrow a good pitman arm puller and a good 1/2" impact wrench.  It may slide right off or it may take extraordinary effort.  If a new pitman arm is cheap and available, consider just getting one and putting it on the new gearbox if you are having trouble removing the old one.
     Mark everything, shafts, pitman arm and steering coupler before you remove or disconnect them.  Work slow and don't force any fasteners.  Use penetrating oils of your choice (Kano Kroil or PB blaster are mine) and heat as needed carefully.  Start spraying all of it down today and continue daily until you are ready to take it out.  Might make the job easier. 
     Mine came out with almost no effort. but my unit is luckily very much rust free.  I have fought a few, but it is generally not a tremendously difficult job if you can access it (unlike say, an S-10 Blazer). 
     Make sure you center the new gear before you install it and hook up the pitman arm.  Gently (very gently so as not to damage the splines) put a pair of vise grips on the input shaft of the new gear with some tape on the jaws and turn it all the way to one side.  Turn it all the way to the other side while counting the turns.  Go back half the total number of turns and you are centered.  A properly set up box will be a little tighter when it gets to the center; so don't be alarmed if it drags a little more there.  Some pitman arms only go on one way, some go on several ways, so you want to be sure it is centered and the wheels are straight ahead when you hook it up.  Slowly have someone turn the wheels lock to lock while you watch when you are done.  Make sure both sides turn equally, as there are rebuilts that are not correct and will be off.  You want to know that before you drive (remember my radiator). 
A solid review of the procedures in the proper shop manual is a good idea. 
     Have a few quarts of Power Steering Fluid on hand to refill the system.  To do it right, you should flush the power steering out before you drive by running a couple of quarts through the system.  Leave the return hose disconnected on the pump and direct it into a bucket or drain pan.  Run the engine while filling the reservoir and let it pump out into the bucket.  Figure that all the wear in that old gear is floating around as little particles in the rest of the system now.  Shame to damage a new steering gear with the old crap in the system.
     Work slow and ask questions if you need to.

acenjason

Thanks :) I am going to start today getting all the old grime off so I can see it and go from there. I will remember to center it before putting a new one in. I guess when I get it off I will take it into the parts store and ask them to help finding the right one.

Rickf1985

acenjason

acenjason

OK, update time!

So, Winny was out of power steering fluid. And I actually  have not checked it for .........like a year. I know, I know. Not very smart. Anyway, I filled up the fluid and now she is working right.

Rickf1985

Keep an eye on it because that is a closed system and the fluid should not go down unless you have a leak.

Edit, I just saw your other post about the leak on the sector shaft. I am not going to offer advice on that one since I am not familiar with what unit is in there. But most of those boxes will have to come at least partially apart to replace multiple seals to repair that problem.

rustyzman

Glad you found a problem with it.  I still have to suggest that even without fluid if it skipped while turning, it needs replacement.  Too much risk of steering loss in that condition, could be bad for you and for others on the road. 
Just my recommendation.

Rickf1985

I have to agree with Zman, Those steering boxes are designed to work without fluid in case of a hose failure so it will steer without fluid just the same as with fluid, just harder. If it was skipping then something is worn, probable on the steering shaft from the wheel into the box since that is where extra force will show a weakness. Check the splines at the shaft to box.

acenjason

acenjason