Removing fresh water holding tanks '73 Brave

Started by Chandler Lewis, August 06, 2015, 07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chandler Lewis

Hi all.

First, thanks. This place is a wealth of info, and I have solved major prob's in the last year just searching through these discussions.

But I've stalled and am hoping someone can help me out. I've circumvented my fresh water tanks, since both of them leak. Eventually I'll replace them with one plastic tank. But for now I just want to pull the carcasses of the old tanks and have some room to store stuff, increase airflow to the converted, etc.

But I can't get the darn things out. I cut away and removed the copper water pipe and air compressor tube, so they're isolated. I've removed the drain faucets underneath, I pulled three screws and two bolts that secured them to the floor. But they won't budge, and I can't even get my iphone under there to "see" what's going on.  Hm?

Anyone have a '73 Brave or similar and done this before? How are these guys held down?

Thanks for any help you can give.

--Chandler

LJ-TJ

Have you got any pictures? Are they in the back under the bed. Is there one or two tanks. Getting to all the screws and bolts is the hard part. Mine had 4 bolts per tank and the two tanks were so tight together it was difficult to get any thing in between them. I finally had to go under neath and cut the bolts off with a cut off wheel and then take a punch and punch the bolts up through the bottom. Hm?

Oz

The Eyebrow Winnebago Coach Service Manual should be a big help to you.

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=store;sa=viewmore;id=165

Scroll down on that page and, on the right, you'll see a diagram of the tanks.  There's a whole section on these in the manual:

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=store;sa=view;id=165
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Chandler Lewis

Ah-ha! That manual is just what I need. Just bought it, and am now going to see if LJ-TJ's method is what I have to do. Sounds likely.

JessEm

Chandler, What are you going to do with the tanks? I will be removing 2 pretty soon, myself, and looking for ideas. Let me know if you come up with anything.

And please follow-up here on your removal procedure. There's a good chance it will help me!

Thanks,
Jesse

Chandler Lewis

Not sure yet, Jesse. We'll see what they look like when I get 'em out. I have a feeling they're going to the dump, though, since one was leaking from the bottom where the tank meets the "foot" -- I'm assuming there's gonna be significant leaks all along the bottom.

I'll get pictures up once I've been able to dig in to this, which might not be 'til after next week (we're heading out to southern NJ now).

Got the taillight lenses -- they're a big improvement over the old ones. Thanks for that!

--Chandler

Rickf1985

Whereabouts in southern NJ? That is where I am at.

Chandler Lewis

Quote from: Rickf1985 on August 07, 2015, 12:18 PM
Whereabouts in southern NJ? That is where I am at.

Cape May. We're staying at a campground there, doin' the beach. Been looking forward to it for a long time.

Rickf1985

That is Southern alright! Can't go much further south without getting wet. I am not that far, I am actually in the middle of the state. Wave as you go by.  :D