stuck parking brake cable

Started by lemortede, July 04, 2015, 05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lemortede

So I am getting really close to having my 1988 Chieftain 22 ready to get inspected.
I have a few write ups that I will be posting at a later date that have pictures and answer questions that I had as I have rebuilt the brakes especially.
I cant come up with a good solution for my latest problem.
I have totally rebuild the rear drum brakes.
When I did the passenger side I had problems getting the shoes to fully close.
After pulling things off and on a few times I realized that the parking brake was pulling on the leaver creating tension and preventing the shoes from collapsing like the needed to.
The brake was fully disengaged.
After some reading and research I discovered the equalizer.
I crawled under and loosed the equalizer nutand that let me loosen the cable enough to collapse the shoes and get the drum on.
I then turned my attention to the drivers side shoes.
I expected things to be faster but its not the case.
I have the same problem but am unable to loosen the cable at the equalizer since it passes straight through.
I have traced the cable all the way to the front and its free, meaning I can pull and it actuates the brakes.
It looks like the problem is between the brake lever and where it connects to the free floating cable just past the wheel well.
The cable appears to be frozen in the metal cable sheath.
Does anyone know where I can get another cable or have ideas to unfreeze this one?

lemortede

So I am going to talk to myself because I think the information is helpful.
The problem is that front brake cable. it appears to be frozen solid.
As a note, there are 4 brake cables. The front, the intermediate, the left rear and the right rear.
I think that this is the part.
Parking Brake Cable-Professional Grade Front Raybestos BC93362

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BHH1/BC93362/03342.oap?year=1987&make=Chevrolet&model=P30&vi=1059308&ck=Search_parking+brake_03342_1059308_3117&keyword=parking+brake&pt=03342&ppt=C0064

That doesnt appear to be available.
I am looking at Ebay but if anyone has a favorite site i would be willing to entertain it.

lemortede

And again, with the many voices in my head.....
So I didnt check the greatest site on the planet until just now...

http://www.amazon.com/Raybestos-BC93362-Professional-Grade-Parking/dp/B000C6ZI22/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436052326&sr=8-1&keywords=BC93362#productDetails

Its the cheapest and with my Amazon prime I get free 2 days shipping.

Now, my next question. The front cable connects to the intermediate with a crimp type tube.
Does anyone know where I can get one in case I break this one trying to separate it?

lemortede

So I was able to disconnect the intermediate cable from the front cable and that gave me the slack I needed to close the shoes.
After replacing the metal lines I was able to do an initial bleed of the system. Tomorrow I will start the engine and bleed all 4 tires then put the axles back in.
It amazing how much I have had to learn about RV electrical and heavy duty mechanical.

FastGlassman69

I also have a 1988 Winnebago 22 and have done the whole emergency brake thing . Those connectors are available for the cables, I got mine from Rock Auto, but have seen them on ebay also. When I did the e-brakes on mine I bought 2 of each cable just to have spares, you never know when they will discontinue something and they were cheap. Good Luck and Happy Camping! Bobby :)ThmbUp

lemortede

So I looked around and found he connectors on Amazon as well.
$7. Can't wait to take this for a spin with a free spinning back end and working rear brakes.