Engine starts, then stalls - something in the steering column wiring

Started by gezundheit, June 25, 2015, 07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gezundheit

I few days ago I ran the coach a number of miles uninterrupted until she stalled out.
This was about 3 miles from home and continued to stall until brought back.i was. Told to change the fuel filters,which I did.i also replaced the coil with new.after this
She was restarted and once again stalled when put in gear.she readily will restart but stalls when put in gear.i notice she will only restart in park but not in neutral.
I then shook the steering column wiring harness and when restarted she went into
Forward and reverse without stalling.i tried to repeat the stall but it didn't happen.it sure appears now to be electrical but where and what?

DaveVA78Chieftain

The neutral safety/ backup light switch is mounted on the transmission.  The neutral safety portion only affects the starter circuit, not the run circuit, so I doubt that has anything to do with this.

There is a half circle plug for the ignition switch wiring at the bottom of the steering column. Check that plug for burned contacts.

Also all the wiring comes together in a big nest at the bottom of the steering column.  So a loose connection can be in that wiring nest (there are several rectangular plugs down there).

Dave
[move][/move]

gezundheit

Yes indeed to the steering column wire nest.the nest has been the subject of intense Creativity lo these many years.having finally pinpointed the bad connector I added My own touch to the nest and was rewarded with a functioning engine.is there a Possibility of a new wiring harness out there.? I know it's a 73' dodge but they built Quite a few and maybe a wiring harness is not so far fetched.

DaveVA78Chieftain

I do not know of a source for a wiring harness.   Several people have simply redone the wiring using modern components.
I too have patched/redone a few wires down there.

Dave
[move][/move]