Full Timers from UK

Started by Coastal11, June 25, 2015, 02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coastal11

Hi All,
We have been full timing since April 2015, its a great way of life we have to say. I am Cliff and look after an 83 year young her name is June, we bought a 1989 Winnebago Chieftain its been converted to run on LPG. we intend to bring it back to new condition, and have to say we both love it, we had an European style camper before but not a shade on this. We left the UK in May and travelled into France moved south along the eastern side to Lyon then west to Bordeaux where we had a problem the water pump front bearing gave up, :( we had one sent out to us from UK then found a garage to fit it, it took them 3 days to complete but they have done a sound job. we are now in northern Spain, will keep you updated as to our progress. :)

Cliff & June
Home is where you park it
Cliff & June

DaveVA78Chieftain

Welcome.  This is an adventure most of us Yanks would love to follow!  Happy camping!
[move][/move]

Flanders

Yes, welcome to the forum Cliff - glad to have you aboard.  Looks like you have the twin to our 1989 Itasca Sunflyer 31RQ.  My wife and I are having a blast renovating with our recently purchased RV as well.  I have restored muscle cars in the past, but this is the first project vehicle that we are working on as a TEAM.
Please keep us informed of your travels across Europe.  That seems so much more exotic than our State Park touring.  Let us know if you upload pictures to your gallery so we can see what you see.  Enjoy the ride!

Dan

gpw9552

Welcome!

Let us know of your adventures in the UK also.

joanfenn

Welcome here and safe travels :)ThmbUp

Rickf1985

Welcome from another 31 footer Chieftain. 89 also. I had to do the water pump on mine and I feel for the poor mechanics that had that job. N:(

Coastal11

Thanks for the welcome from you guy's, I have started a gallery of our tour for you all to see some of the delights we find on the way.

Rick, the poor mechanic's had never worked on this type of engine before, as they only deal with Iveco trucks so it was a big learning curve for them. Glad it was not me it would still be in bits. D:oH!
Cliff & June

Coastal11

Well we have moved on to Laredo just short of Santander Spain found a nice site 400mts from the beach lovely town lost to do and see. pitches are grass but able to take our 10mtr RV with trailer alongside, very close to the town site is Camping Laredo good access from AutoRoute. The motor is going great after the water pump work, garage did a good job well pleased.
Cliff & June

Rickf1985

I was thinking about the repairs you had and it occurred to me that the mechanics over there probably do not have SAE size tools do they? Everything they would normally deal with is metric, we are the odd ones that use what we call "standard" size fasteners. W% A lot of the fasteners on your rig are metric but a lot are SAE. Something to think about if you need to put together a tool set for traveling.

Coastal11

Yes Rick,

I had to lend them some of my spanners and sockets that I have for the winne, its a good job I have a tool kit just for the winne as I think it would of been harder to get the job done.  I have to say it is running much quieter than before, Rick I wonder if you could help with some info about our model, the cruise control is not working I seem to have 2 one on the stalk and an oblong box on the dash next to the cigar lighter this has 4 buttons on it but neither seem to do any thing, also the front air ram fan is not working this is the one in front of the passenger's feet I have replaced the relay under the hood on the evaporator box but still no luck at the moment. One word comes to mind HELP!!!!! i??

Cliff & June
Cliff & June

Oz

If you need help with technical issues, please post your questions on the corresponding tech boards so they get the best responses.

:) :)ThmbUp
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Coastal11

Sorry OZ, did not realise I had done the wrong thing. with that out of the way, we have now moved onto a town called Burgos about 200 km north of Madrid, here for 2 nights then on to Madrid for 2 weeks weather getting wormer now 32 dec c at 5 pm local time.

Cliff & June
Cliff & June

Coastal11

We are now just north of Madrid by 40 Km the temp has been around 35 deg c and have found the refrigerator has not worked well in this heat, so after looking through the gallery I came across a great mod and as soon as I buy the fans I am going to fit then to make an airflow over the back of the fridge mind you the air is hot as it blows past you. We move from here on Monday the 20th July and move south to Alicante where we will stay for a few months.
Cliff & June

phil_brave

Hi, great to hear your travelling thru Spain etc!!  I did the same in my 1974 VW bus many years ago, and had a blast. Interesting to me the mention of Imperial vs Metric, I never thought of this when taking an American RV "abroad"
As most old (70's) British cars were Imperial, I'm sure tools are available at the very back of the tool box!!!
I've got a small collection I get by with. Have Fun!!
Phil. 

Rickf1985

Phil, That post was actually from July of last year, They have not been on the forum since the end of August last year. Sometimes we just never know what happens to people or where they went. i??