Driving or shipping to new location...

Started by Lahti35, June 24, 2016, 09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lahti35

So I've found a nice early 70's Winnebago with a ford chassis and a 300 inline engine. The unit looks to be the smaller of the rv's made coming in at about 20ft long.

The only catch... its 1100 miles away.

Now I'm no stranger to the ford inline... rock solid engine and the 300 was probably the best but I wonder... what's the best way to get this home?

I drove a 1960 Ford F250 400 miles home a few years ago on the back roads. Uneventful trip but I can't say I relaxed until I got to within 10 miles of home.

My options are to have it shipped home or drive out there and then drive back with it at 55mph. Obviously driving it home would cost a lot in gas at 6 mpg and there's lost wages from work too...

I've got some inquiries out for a shipping quote but I know it won't be cheap!

Rickf1985

To drive a sight unseen vehicle that far is a crap shoot. I would plan on driving out there with enough tools to check and possibly replace breaks and bearings, U-joints. Oil change and tune up. That is a bare minimum since you do not really know the real condition of the vehicle. A 46 year old vehicle is going to have issues, whether they are major or minor is the big question. What about the tires? If they are more than 6 or 7 years old I would replace them before making a trip like that. It may end up costing you as much to get ready to drive it, and still not be sure not be sure it would make it, as it would to have it transported.

tiinytina

We have used uship.com to move a Winnebago from Hanover PA to jersey for work it was an interesting process.. its a bididng site.. so transport companies who may have an empty carrier coming back from a full out can pick up a load etc.. you have to list dimensions/weight etc...   I for one would not trust a new purchase  of an old rig to be good enough for that journey without taking the time to run through all systems etc.   Also you will find that the previous owner (PO)... might..... have exaggerated aspects just a bit... not saying all do but....  regardless AAA has +RV as does Sams etc... worthwhile....   
    I bought Gone on Ebay and drove her home being only about 70 miles away... "everything runs works fine"...  ok.. if you mean gas pours out from the warped carburator and gasket under it over hte engine um yea.. ie immediate first replacement part. test drove and ran it around the block before heading out... but she was a 1987 and only 20 yrs old then...
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Lahti35

I've got it listed on u-ship and am hoping for some bids...

I've used u-ship a few times with good success, never any real problems.... except getting bids! Truckers don't like to come up into MI as its "out of the way" as I've heard way too much.

The driving it home this is sort of a last shot at glory, hail mary, seemed like a good idea at the time thing...

I hope I get some reasonable shipping bids, this Winnebago is perfect... right motor, rims, and size.

Rickf1985

Where is the camper coming from and going to? The problem with Uship is you are limited to the drivers that subscribe to that service. That camper is going to require a heavy duty trailer, most likely a low boy and those don't usually run long distance. You will be hard pressed to find one I think and if you do it is going to run you at least 3 dollars a mile I would guess. Sometimes even though you have found the perfect RV it is just  not feasible when long distance recovery comes into play.

Lahti35

Its in Montana and it would be going to Michigan.

I only stay in this state because of my job, I'd be out of here in heartbeat if I could. Its a dead zone for cool vehicles, everything rusts away due to the salt they spray over everything December through April...

I'll cross my fingers uship comes through and if not then it wasn't meant to be... meanwhile I'll post a wanted ad!

Rickf1985

Right now the oil industry is a bit slow so you might want to check around those circles, May find a hauler that is sitting waiting for his normal loads to the oil rigs to pick back up. Montana is oil central right now.

Lahti35

Quote from: Rickf1985 on June 25, 2016, 11:47 AM
Right now the oil industry is a bit slow so you might want to check around those circles, May find a hauler that is sitting waiting for his normal loads to the oil rigs to pick back up. Montana is oil central right now.

I did actually find someone to do it for a reasonable price but the morning before I was going to close the deal with the seller ( I was waiting on some pics) we had a death in the immediate family so my attention is now elsewhere for a month or so, no camping this summer for us.

If they still have it around august i'll reconsider getting it but until then my hands are full.