Headers or manifolds?

Started by Rusty2867, June 13, 2015, 10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty2867

Hopefully I will be putting the engine back in the Dodge Minnie soon,it's a 77 with a 360 and trying to decide on headers or manifolds and duals? Or I could go single 3 inch

GONMAD

Headers are always an intelligent choice over COMPROMISE cast manifolds. Get the 'SHORTY headers as there is really no need for full length headers. Stick with at least 2.5" exhaust tubes & try to include the "X" pipes as they improve on the noise factor & make more torque in the range you operate at. When you use the "X" pipes you hear ALL 8 cylinders from both sides instead of two four cylinders. this eliminates the droning you get otherwise. Try to find the ceramic coated units as they stay clean & dissipate the incredible heat generated by the cast iron units. DO NOT use any heat wrapping or you negate the purpose of the airflow around the headers & cause early rotting of the system by holding the moisture caused by rain & humidity.   Just my observations over the years. hope this helped some. GONMAD

Rickf1985

And try to get ones that are 14 gauge steel and not 16 gauge, They will last much, much longer.

GONMAD

Here's the GOOD stuff!  My brother has this setup on his Gulf stream & got 13 MPG avg on a trip to Maine & towing a TOAD excellent product all around!   
Here'e the address...

http://bankspower.com/products/show/128/67

Rusty2867

Yeah,I was leaning towards headers but I can't find anyone who makes shorty's for a 76 Dodge van.Hedmann makes long tubes for it,guess i'll start pricing!

GONMAD

Hedman has a very nice "ELITE" coated ceramic hedders with ball socket collectors & they took very good care of me when (due to my own negligence) a crack formed around the collector & leaked profusely. They sent me another brand new set rather than me having to weld them up. Hedman has a great product & they seem to have a lot for the RV market. I'd try them first. If you look in my picture section you can see detailed shots of my personal system. Good luck in your endeavors.     GONMAD

Rusty2867

How do you look in someones picture section?

GONMAD

This should be the link for my pics.. otherwise go to the gallery & scroll through the pages http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=album;id=404

kenwautoone

Could not agree more with gomad.headers been on my 71 413 for 30 years.still look good!