Schmittis adventure / trip to a US Motorhome meeting in Germany

Started by Schmitti, May 28, 2015, 06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schmitti

Chronological Listing:

21:05:15
Preparations for a nice weekend with like-minded people to run. The Winni is loaded with all sorts, refueled and all fluid levels are checked.

22:05:15
Around 14.00 clock is departure to Weilburg. After about 40 kilometers covered, the Winni captures the "cough" at half-throttle, and we head for a rest stop. Here the cooling water was replenished, but otherwise was nothing flashy objectionable. Next it still did not go, because the Winni would not start for now. After the battery was empty, we have bypassed us with the generator. When the battery is full again, the journey continued directly.

More coughing 10Km later, we had to slow down in a traffic jam and the engine stalled again. To make it come here to strong disabilities, because we were in the midst of a construction site - unsuccessful without emergency lanes  $@!#@! all restart attempts. Even the half-hearted charged battery failed very quickly and it was clear: We are stranded here, because we had only 20cm square to the passing lorries and work. That reminds me that seemed to live dangerously, I opted for a tow. Hardly the phone at the ear, and a nice and friendly gentleman came already on two wheels.

The kind gentleman took our data and ensured the breakdown point with flashing lights additionally from.
The fact that we were equipped with sufficient cash, a tow came after two hours of waiting time. Without this cash would not even be approached!

Comfortable and unhurriedly he considered how to proceed.

The fact that I must pay for this service purposes "right" amount of money, I helped only half-heartedly.

For 600m the good man also wanted to reduce the propeller shaft - this I consistently opposed, because it seemed very absurd to me.
The transmission on N switched, pulled at walking pace and 335 â,¬ later, he dropped us quite involuntarily at a service station and disappeared.

On this site we were able to once again fill the cooling water and revive the battery. After a little break, a coffee and a test run we decided - still optimistic - to proceed.

However Winni wanted something else. Just before the motorway, he again began to stutter and we were able to save us illegally 18.00 clock on a car commuter parking lot. There stranded, I examined the little more closely and found to have long sought because of the water loss. This could be sealed (in the parking lot) with a stud (far left in the picture), exhaust sealant and by Petras found washer. After a short trial run, there was a renewed leak.

Directly by the header screw the water squeezed out. Unfortunately, right in the fourth and sixth cylinder. Through these flooded combustion chambers even an eight-cylinder runs only modestly or not at all.

On this parking lot I took out my tools and all seals and sealants and tried to repair. At 22.00 clock this was done and we wanted - again optimistic - leave to proceed. Proud 50m later, in the middle of an intersection, the new seal was leaking with their liquid seal again and we were again. Since it was already dark, Petra secured the danger zone from a flashlight while I enlarged the two spark plugs in question in the dark wheel arch. This could easily escape from the combustion chamber and we with six cylinders back to the parking prohibited the penetrating water - because otherwise would be far and wide no other option for parking have been.

Easy humorless we settled for one night and drank only times to calm a beer ... and another one ... and another one ...

23:05:15
After a restful night, I went again to work and dismantled the elbow again - for the third time. I replaced the exhaust sealant, because this water as it turned and the liquid gasket, because it requires too long to seal - by another, fortunately existing liquid sealant.

... And for the fourth time - as I replaced the liquid sealant again. It turned out that we have a piece of unneeded Teflon tape on a water faucet. This piece I wrapped very carefully on the threads of the water connection and wrapped it onto the threaded bolt.

... And after the fifth time, I gave up, all the material admitted again and let the Winni so stand.

We now decided to let us pick, repack and still drive our vans to the meeting. It was clear that the project can hardly be called camping. Since we were all the time with the organizer by telephone in contact and we tried this very well to help during the previous 24 hours and his contacts, matured this decision. When we told him this decision, he was not only enthusiastic about our idea, but told us spontaneously provide all possible assistance in the form of drinks, food, seating about.

Once there, with our transporters, we harvested first horrified glances. Because our car was not of American origin, even an RV. As it is, however, word spread, why we had traveled with this vehicle, we were warmly received into the community.
The helpfulness of all the participants of this meeting overwhelmed us.

When "special guests" we were forcibly convinced not at the edge but in the middle to park splashing around. Likewise, our Iveco was summarily renamed.

Picture impressions of great cars and Community.

Also great conversions could be seen and just for me as a cable with allergies this was a great sight.

05/24/15
On Sundays it even with two sedans as shuttle service to a destination near Weilburg.
www.kubacherkristallhoehle.de/

05/25/15
In the early afternoon then a puncture-free journey home, without intermediate stops or forced stays.

05/26/15
The entire morning I spent at work with the phone at the ear, because I was trying to find a way to Winni tow from there. However, without the towing, the Fridays have offered us this service for about 1000 â,¬ / net (218 â,¬ / hour + â,¬ 2.18 / km). Meanwhile called me around noon already at the clerk's office. The quite rugged, ... man complimented me before a misdemeanor procedure, that he has already shown. "Polite" he pointed me also point out that the Winni there as soon as possible (preferably directly) would there way, or he would be forcibly transferred because he is illegally on a car parking space and three parking spaces blocked. With a lot of patience and persuasion, I could act out a deadline to 6:00 clock in the morning. The complete, already so not an easy situation, thereby was not simple. On The Contrary. Thus, I was nevertheless already very nervous. Almost simultaneously I found a willing contractor (who asked not to be named - nevertheless also here again a thank), with matching pendant. This had spontaneously agreed to support this campaign against the Police Office. So we drove around 17.30 los clock from Rheinhessen to Idstein. Once there, I let the cooling water (now pure tap water) off completely, so that the cylinder can not run again fully bridged the Winni and we loaded him on the small until 66Tonnen loadable trailer.

From Idstein it went straight into the workshop of Leszek to Babenhausen. There we were able to leave their little ones clean and the trip ended at 22.30 clock back in Rheinhessen.

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

Elandan2

That is a trip you will certainly never forget!!  Sometimes a long trip is the only way we find those problems.  Glad to see that you still had an enjoyable time.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

LJ-TJ

:)rotflmao Holy Cow what a trip. D:oH! If it helps at all, Lauren and I have had several trips similar to yours. But like Elandan2 says it makes for great campfire stories. Let us know how you make out. Oh! Yes Lauren and I still have our Winnebago and love it now we have it running????????????????????????????

sasktrini

Ouch.  Wallet must be in pain.  But good for you to enjoy the gathering.  Your Winnebago is almost perfect!
Corey aka sasktrini

Rickf1985

You had thought the head gasket may be leaking, now you know for sure! I hope it was all coming out there and not out both sides of the head, check your oil. I had a similar trip but not quite that expensive. Like has been said, campfire stories for later.

Schmitti

The mishap had also its benefits - now I know quite clearly where the problem with the water. Unfortunately, I had to bring in a workshop to Winni now, because I'm a bit too clamped in the near future in the company. Regardless of the importance of the goal and the future Campfire ... to be able to tell this story  :D
The engine will soon be dismantled, cleaned, rinsed and checked for damage - as does the oil in any way back - as there is something to report, I'll tell you in my blog ;)

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.