Dodge transmission shift cable replacement

Started by mr27t, May 23, 2015, 04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr27t

There was a post not long ago about replacing the transmission shift cable. I had a bad cable on my new/old 1978 32' Dodge Executive MH and I searched high and low for a replacement. I found a few leads through many here on this site and at other locations that didn't pan out well. So I pulled the old cable out and I knew just what I needed.
Me, being and old school hot rodder, I suddenly recognized What I needed was B&M's universal 8ft. push/pull cable #80834 and I found it at Amazon.com with taxes and shipping delivered to my door, $70 small ones.
The new cable was a simple nut and bolt operation at the transmission, but at the shifter handle, it was a little different. the cable eyelet was a bit larger so I cut 1/8" length from 3/16" steel tubing and used that as a bushing for the shifter pin and cable eyelet. The other deal breaker was that I had to use 4" of 1/8" x 1" flat stock (Metal). I bent one end of the flat stock 1/2" inch from the end to a 90 degree and drilled a 1/4" hole into the bent tang. This bent tang holds the cable sheath in place with a 1/4" nut and bolt. I then drilled another hole 3/16" into the plate approximately 2 1/2" from the end to secure the now new fabricated cable bracket to the side of the shifter housing using the original bolt that secured the original cable to the shifter.
It all may sound more complex than it actually is, but truth be told it was very simple and it all worked out sweet as can be. Now I can shift through the gears with ease and works just as it was designed to work :)clap !!!

DRMousseau

Sounds like a similar mod I did, when I first got mine.

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,10543.msg59142.html#msg59142

Best mod ever!!! No Binding cable! Replacements, (if EVER needed) easy to find!!!
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

Oz

Dear Doctor - have you posted that info directly to one of the existing topics specifically about transmission shift cable replacements?  It would be of great benefit if it were.

;)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DRMousseau

Not really sure,... was one of my first posts and such. Like you, I relied on my previous "old school" experience and said "WHY NOT!?!"

A good quality, easy to find cable, to which NO modification was necessary! This kept protective cable features intact, AND the transmission cable mount was an easy change from the original which can hardly be found anywhere! No return springs necessary, no binding, no constant lubing and maintenance, and a sure positive shift, without changing that fancy shift lever on the dash!!!

Fortunately, there's plenty of room under that dash, as the added "cable support" on the shifter assembly is pretty much the max that will fit easily. But that sliding support tube on the cable end really helps!!!

Oh,... that "DR" is only my initials, otherwise it would be Dr.
The only doctorin' I've ever done was greasy stuff,... with a bit of choppin' here and there! LoL!
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"