Thermoquad carburetor dies when choke opens

Started by scruffy, May 23, 2015, 09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scruffy

Sent: 8/27/2004 12:58 AM

My 73Winnie will start when cold but will die when choke opens.  It is a factory rebuilt carter thermoquad.  I took the carb off and sealed the intake.  It pulls 15-18 in vac by turning starter.  I took the carter apart and couldn't find anything out of spec.  I disconnected and sealed all vacuum sources to no avail.  Am baffled.  Please advise.  Thanking you in advance.   

My 73 Winnie w/440 engine & carter thermoquad is giving me problems.   Thanks.  Scruffy

wcrowles

Sent: 9/5/2004 6:47 AM

Sounds like the idle speed adjustment is in need of a tweek. If you are not a carburetor expert, suggest you find one because I spent days rebuilding and adjusting my thermoquad to get the old 440 to purr like a kitten....there are a lot of adjustment points that seem to affect each other and the service manual description of how to do this is long and mysterious/confusing......Good luck.
Bill Rowles

melyash

Sent: 9/6/2004 10:53 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but if it runs with the choke on, then dies when it opens, shouldn't that indicate the engine is running too lean? The choke reduces the amount of air coming in, and so ritchens the mixture, then when it opens more air comes in and the mixture leans out, in this case killing the engine. hmmm.....the clues are there.....

Matt

kevsws6

Sent: 9/6/2004 5:43 PM

I think it may be too rich to begin with. If you can start it and it runs smooth right away its too rich. When you try and choke it your making a rich engine run richer and it floods out.

Rickf1985

I think with the other things he has done the post about the low idle is a viable one since the choke holds high idle which drops when the choke drops out.