No Brakes!

Started by 76PRROW, May 22, 2015, 07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickf1985

If the master cylinder was empty or even if there is a question whether it might have been then yes, all four. Right rear, left rear, right front, left front.  If the shoes had brake fluid or gear oil on them then what he did will not help and sanding brake shoes is a very bad and dangerous idea. Some brakes are still made out of asbestos, especially heavy duty ones. The oil soaks into the shoes and spraying them with brake cleaner just cleans off the surface. The first time you use them and they get hot the stuff in them comes out. From what I can gather from the conversations here you need to get this thing moved to a safer and more permanent location. I hope this is not to far or on any steep hills. After that I suggest you let it sit until you get enough money to rebuild the brakes top to bottom correctly. It is not just your life out there, it is whomever is on the road with you too. These vehicles are fairly easy to work on but like any vehicle they take money to get them safe to drive. Brakes and tires are probably the most expensive parts next to ball joints and rod ends when it comes to safety parts. I have no problems helping people out as best I can but they have to be able to afford to buy the parts that are needed and or the services of a professional. I do NOT have the time for a so called professional who will spray contaminated brakes with brake clean and say they are good! Brake clean is for cleaning the metal parts of a brake system and surface grime from installation of shoes but not oil removal ON shoes.

76PRROW

I will save up to get this thing serviced from top to bottom. I finally got everything connected and bled today. First impression is that the brakes work better than ever, I can practically screech to a halt. No leaks that I can see. Master cylinder is staying full.

Rickf1985

I get the impression that the area you are in is less than desirable from your 0ther posts so it might be a good idea to edit your last post and delete the reference to your location. This is a public forum so anyone can see it and people familiar with the area may take notice.

TerryH

Quote from: Rickf1985 on June 07, 2015, 08:05 PM
I get the impression that the area you are in is less than desirable from your 0ther posts so it might be a good idea to edit your last post and delete the reference to your location. This is a public forum so anyone can see it and people familiar with the area may take notice.

:)ThmbUp
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore