The "Snowbird" heads North!!

Started by DRMousseau, May 17, 2015, 01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRMousseau

The countdown begins!

Never could I imagine being a "Snowbird",... but never could I imagine living full-time in a Classic Winnebago either!!!

I bought this ol' D20 in Northern Michigan late last year, a quick check over,.... and shortly after New Years, I headed south, to the Emerald Coast of Florida! A thousand miles, straight and due south (about 1200+ by route). Actually quite amazed I really made it all that way. Since then, it's been my home, and my everyday driver, to and from work, and all around town too! Yup! Seven miles to the gallon!!! I've been a resident of Florida for 15yrs now, and making the transition into retirement and in regaining my Michigan residency. I work a seasonal job in Florida, preparing tax returns,.. it has supplemented my Social Security, and has paid for all the repairs, restoration, updates, improvements, and general living conditions in the ol' Winnie. But it's been gettin REALLY warm "in the box" lately,... and I'm not equipped with AC!!!

So now it's 10-days, and counting down the time to head north again. Only THIS time,... I'll be continuing the journey several hundred miles BEYOND my destination, of Traverse City, MI. This is where I'll pick up my daughter, son-in-law, and two young grandchildren,.... to adventure with Pops, into the distant wilderness of Michigan's Upper Peninsula,... in a Classic 70's Winnebago!!! Copper Harbor!!! Gold, silver and mine country!!! Pictured Rocks National Forest!!! And some of the MANY waterfalls and lighthouses!!! This is WOLF COUNTRY!!! And I'm quite thrilled to share in the excitement with my family!!! Been nearly 35yrs since I've visited the U.P.!!!

I've done considerable work on all the necessary RV systems to ensure trouble-free function for their comfort and safety, as well as my own! Jus a few last minute checks, a couple maintenance chores, a through cleaning and wash, and some minor preparations remain. There's also a bit of packing to do for long journeys.

Today, I dashed madly about for some simple items,.... oil and filter, which I finally changed this evening for the first time since I got this new home. Seven quarts showed a quart low on the dipstick after running,... so 8qts it is, with new filter!!! Got some spare fuel filters and clamp assortments, even though I recently changed all of 'em,... I've had those problems before ya know! I've never changed the sparkplugs either, and I've noticed a slight "ping" and occasional "run on" lately, nothing REAL serious yet,... so a tune-up is in order. But the counter guy insisted I couldn't possibly have the shouldered, 5/8" spark plugs!!!
    "I made a note of 'em right here on my phone,.... Champion RV12YC. they're the smaller shouldered plug, not those big ones with washers. That's all I need!" I stated. He checked, and checked again.
     "I see no listings for those kind of plugs in ANY brand!" I told him I'd double check, and bring one in,.... this was a RARE time that I driven a friends car out and about, rather than the Winnie. UGH!!! Same problem with the air filter,... couldn't be sure!

And I had to order a new alternator bracket set,... they assured me they'd be here in 3 days. The lower ones been cracked for quite some time. I either replace them now (if I have time), on the road (if they don't last much longer), or shortly on arrival in Michigan. Jus in case,... I want them with me!!! Need a lower radiator hose too,... it's weak, and could give out sometime soon as well. BUT, I either photograph it in scale, or bring in the old one,... so I KNOW it's right. I want one with me!!! I have two spare belts, the current ones on it look fine,... but I want those with me too!!! Got brake fluid, power steering fluid, and trans fluid (type F too!!).

Still gotta check ALL lug nuts (heavy 8 lug 16" rims) and be sure I can loosen 'em ALL when on the road!!! And will need to add air to all tires,...

And why does it ALWAYS seem your overlooking something?!?!?

Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

Oz

You must be getting very excited about your upcoming trip and there sure is a lot of planning, maintenance, and prep to do, isn't there? 

I've created new topics regarding your tech questions on the appropriate message boards so they get the attention they deserve;  more replies, faster.  Other people also may want to know about these things too, but all the replies and ideas you get would be buried in this travel blog so now they'll be easier to find in the future.

You can be sure of the plugs you need and in different brands.  Message searched 440-3 spark plug:
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,7373.msg32919.html#msg32919

Radiator hose.  From "Dave's Place" on the main forum side-bar, select the top link: belts, hoses & power steering,
radiator hoses are the center column, bottom row for your 440, the Gates part number:
http://dave78chieftain.com/
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Rickf1985

Where did my reply with the info for the air compressor go? I have found some more info to add to that.

Oz

Quote from: Oz on May 17, 2015, 10:29 AM

I've created new topics regarding your tech questions on the appropriate message boards...

Search:  air compressor
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DRMousseau

Oh THANK-you oh wonderful Oz!!!

Expected date of departure from here in Panama City Florida - May 26-27!!!

I AM truly excited! Been a loooong time since the "mini-vacations" with my young daughters, in an old vintage Apache camper!!! And soon,... with my grandchildren who are about the same age as "mom" was in those days so long ago! DANG kids grow fast!!! And I luv sharing adventures with bygone Classics!!!

I did find that post about spark plugs late last night, AND because of it, I jus might consider an ignition upgrade later,.... but that's a tech topic. And I know others, are ALWAYS searchin' for info. And I'll search for that compressor info shortly.

But right now,... a pop-up rain is adding MORE humidity to North Florida's intense heat!!! So a short break is in order after cleaning and servicing batteries, and a small panic in the electrical system!!! I noticed the AC fan in the back window wasn't working. I had unplugged the shore power this morning, and switch to the battery/inverter system. Battery monitor was showing a low draw, so I thought I had forgot to turn on the inverter. Nope! It was on and seemed working. I turned it off and on again,... it did it's quick test (fan bumped on/off) and heard the microwave beep. Turned microwave on a moment,... and is ok. THOSE draw ALOT!!!

Then I noticed I had UNPLUGGED the fan last night!! UGH!!! I feel a bit scattered with prep and concerns. A thousand miles is a LONG ways,.... and Michigan's Upper Peninsula is VERY remote!!!

RELAX!!!! Breath, and start cleaning!!! Dishes are a good start!!! Ah,.... Fan jus kicked on the inverter, and thunder is getting closer!!! OH!!! REAL Close!!!

IT'S 98degrees in here!!!! DAMN!!!

Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

DRMousseau

Jus a week or so left here in Florida.

Spent most of day HAND WASHING the exterior from roof to tires!!! DAMN what a job!!! The little household power-washer that was available to me, was jus plain useless!!! And it took a bit of solvent to remove the dripping stains from the furnace vent area and the greezy hand prints from the door and every locker. This is first I've ever washed this box, and now I've seen every ding, scratch, dent, poor repair, and more. Still got streaks dripping down, but these are actually LOST PAINT from years of neglect, I guess. Some of the streaks, the paint is so thin, it's actually SHINY aluminum showing thru. And I was surprised to find that the rear is actually fiberglass!!!

Real shame that fiberglass,.... was thinkin of a "DeLorean Paint" scheme!! Probably look more like an ugly "Square Airstream" anyway!

Lows tonight, 74 degrees here in Florida,.... heard it's sub-freezing in North Michigan!!!

Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor