Rebuilding my 360 need cam suggestion

Started by Rusty2867, May 08, 2015, 06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty2867

First off I'd like to say that I do have experience building engines but usually in hot rods,ford,dodge,chevy,pontiac,I have done a few.That being said I am looking for suggestions for a cam in my Rv.I am hoping to use the stock pistons so it will be stock compression,I have a set of 596 heads that will get a bowl blend and gasket match to the Edelbrock Performer,also a Performer carb and will be doing dual exh or possibly headers.Any suggestions appreciated,Todd

PwrWgnWalt

Hi Todd;

Good choice!  An "RV Cam" is probably the right way to go for a mild performance cam (done it myself in my Dodge Power Wagon 360 engine - I tow and haul a lot with it).  You probably already know this, but you will be best served by going for torque, instead of high horsepower, in a MotorHome engine.   That said, forget anything advertised as "hi performance, HP, etc.", and look instead for cams that are:

• short duration 210-215 (at .050), for the low end grunt  (you can go even lower, if wanted)
  • 110-114 Lobe Separation (110 as the lowest minimum #, to preserve vacuum), 
  • built for "Torque, towing, or low end", some are even labelled "RV" cams,
  • rated at or under 5,000 RPM
These are usually easy to use as a replacement - no special 'other stuff' needed.
However, I would replace the lifters (duh), springs, locks, etc. since you're in there.
I suggest sticking with the stock-style hydraulic flat tappet cam, too (no rollers, etc.)
If you are going to port your heads, you might consider cam #2 to take advantage of improved flow.
I would also put a double roller timing chain in while doing this change.
Whatever you do - use a zinc additive with your oil changes!!!

So, here are a couple of ideas, that I would consider first for your Minnie Winnie:

• Mopar Performance P4452757 (Purpleshaft)  211* Intake/218* Exhaust,  110 Separation,  Lift .410/.425
  • Hughes SEH1016AL-12                                   210* In     / 216* Ex             112 Sep              Lift .480/.495
       (but... some special stuff needed for Hughes cam - springs, etc.)

Have fun with the rebuild! 

:)ThmbUp
Walt & Tina

Rickf1985

Walt is pretty much right on with the cam numbers, I prefer different manufacturers but that is moot. The one addition I would add is a crossover pipe to even out the exhaust pulses between the two banks. That is good for a few more Ft/lbs. of torque. Keep in mind also that in order to produce more torque you will also be increasing horsepower, They go hand in hand. Horsepower is the amount of work produced over time and torque is the rotational force needed to turn the wheels. Horsepower is converted to torque to turn the wheels. The trick is where in the power band this happens. Keep in mind also that as you lower the power band you are lowering the top end power, as in cruise speed power, at the same time. It is a give and take, you cannot have all low end power and have nothing left to push you through the air at 60 mph. You have to figure in your gear ratio to find what rpm you will be running at you best cruising speed and build the engine around that.