Change the brown body color

Started by mmurning, April 21, 2015, 08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmurning

I want to get rid of the brown so I am thinking of using a roller to paint over the brown, any ideas on colors to make it look a little more up to date and technique. Thanks :)clap
1994 Montego 28ft
2005 Ford F150
2003 Gmc Yukon
1997 Flsts
2005 King Quad 700

Oz

Color is really personal preference, but for mine, it was originally 2 stripes, one was a kind of not-quite forest green and a light kinda lime green or something.  Whatever they were, I didn't like them.

[smg id=2933]

I repainted using spray paint - Toreador Red and Emerald Green.

[smg id=5045]

Here's some paint types and techniques:

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,4187.msg12305.html#msg12305
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Lefty

Like Mark said, color is a purely personal choice. What one person may like, another may not. I would go to a paint dept. and select several of those color sample strips in colors you like, then go from there to narrow down a color family, then lastly select the exact shade you like best.
In general, people would expect to find the outside color also present inside the coach as well... either as a main palette, or as an accent. Not doing so, or picking a color that actually clashes with the interior color choices can hurt the look and value.

I will also add, an Allegro is different from a Winnebago in that Winnebago's were offered in several different color combinations originally.. where Allegro's are always in brown/white. Changing the color may make it look "odd'... because it would be different from a virtually trademark look. Not saying that would be bad or good, just mentioning it for you to consider.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Oz

Here's a link to tiinytina's photo album.  She has the same RV as you do, only a couple years older.  She did exactly what you're looking to do.  She did hers over in green:

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=album;id=31

[smg id=4021]

mmurning

Oz you just used rattle can or spray gun.? I am not worried about value to much anymore just thinking that it look better without the faded brown maybe a gloss dark gray on bottom a grayish blue in middle and light gray on top since interior is mostly blue with some gray.

Thanks
Mark
1994 Montego 28ft
2005 Ford F150
2003 Gmc Yukon
1997 Flsts
2005 King Quad 700

Oz

I'm sure a spray gun would make it much easier, but I just used rattle cans since I didn't really need a whole pro painting set-up.

It was just a cheap, curb-side (literally) operation done by someone with no training or experience, just a will and a want to: 
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=album;id=294

joanfenn

Mine was done with tremclad paint a four inch roller and painters tape.  Still looks great.  Easy peesey lemon sqeezy

mmurning

Awesome, Thanks for all the reply's    I will post as I do it :)
1994 Montego 28ft
2005 Ford F150
2003 Gmc Yukon
1997 Flsts
2005 King Quad 700

Froggy1936

Look in the projects folder at this site I painted mine with rattle cans recently The whole operation is there Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

73dodgeTitan

I went from a brown stripe to black.  Used a spray gun. 

LJ-TJ

Just keep in mind if you use a spray can, which I think will do the best job about the over spray. D:oH!

mmurning

What should I use to clean, I was thinking of roughing up the brown with some sandpaper and then cleaning before spraying, found a krylon color I like for the bottom stripe
1994 Montego 28ft
2005 Ford F150
2003 Gmc Yukon
1997 Flsts
2005 King Quad 700

Oz

That's all I did.  Scuffed the surface with a green scratch pad and cleaned with windex.

mmurning

First one done, changed to hammered gray
1994 Montego 28ft
2005 Ford F150
2003 Gmc Yukon
1997 Flsts
2005 King Quad 700

mmurning

Dark gray done on bottom and copper in middle, have light gray for top but have not climbed ladder yet....lol
1994 Montego 28ft
2005 Ford F150
2003 Gmc Yukon
1997 Flsts
2005 King Quad 700

tiinytina

Gone was "professionally" painted by my friend who owns the best boat repair place on the east coast. http://www.ospreycomposites.com .. so.. during a really slow week... they hand sanded everything, taped off and painted with same air guns used for the yachts... with Marine AwlGrip paint... which never needs waxing and is immune to most environmental abuse....  so I take no responsibility.. I had to use the colors they had "leftover"...   And my decal gal and I can hook you up for that custom look... when you need it just PM me.
Tina

Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!