Checking timing

Started by 76minnie, March 23, 2015, 01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76minnie

Sorry if this has been covered before Oz, but I can't find it.

I have a class c with a 360. And is there a trick to check the timing?
I can get a mirror and tilt it to see the timing marks, but then the mirror blocks the light? It runs fine. But I recently replaced the distributor and I know it's not set right. Is there something I'm missing?
Thank you in advance

LJ-TJ

Don't sweat it Mate, setting the timing on one of these old girls is a pain as far as I'm concerned. I have a 76 21'er. I have to do mine shortly again. There's two ways you can do it one is to take the front passengers side tire off and you can squiggle in with the timing light and actually see the timing marks but then you have to get out and go into the rig and adjust the distributor a pinch at a time till you get it right or you can turn the wheels to the left as far as they will go and if your a skinny little son of a gun you can wiggle down in there to see the timing marks. Not saying that will work for you but that's how I do it. Can't wait to see if someone has found an easier way.   D:oH!

ibdilbert01

Might sound weird, but shine the timing light at the mirror.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

DaveVA78Chieftain

Never easy to set timing on a Class C like yours or a Class A like most of us have.  Some of these chassis were built with a timing hole in the bell housing that you can see timing marks on the torque converter.  Look and see if you have it.

Dave
[move][/move]

gpw9552

76minnie

Thx for the replies!!
I suppose I'll try removing the wheel. I was looking at that angle. It appears the power steering resivour is blocking the view. I'm skinny but I'm to big to fit in there lol
I already tried shining light at the mirror, I couldn't see the mark. Maybe it's that far off time? I doubt it tho, because it runs pretty well.
Dave, while I was searching the site I saw the deal about a hole on the bell housing. Unfortunately mine doesn't have one :(
I have a vacuum gauge. How do you use it to do the timing? Hm?

gpw9552

Advance the timing until you get max manifold vacuum and then retard until it drops 1 inch.  This is how I have to do my 1942 jeep.

https://www.centuryperformance.com/forum/showthread.php/42-Engine-Tuning-Using-a-Vacuum-Gauge

76minnie

Awesome!! I'll try and get it with timing light then dial it in with vacuum. Thanks :)ThmbUp