Need info on original air Suspension '87 Elandan P32

Started by jbragg, March 16, 2015, 05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbragg

Still unable to find out what the original air spring assist system looked like. Have to contact Jet Company and ask them. Winnebago didn't have any information on the P30 Superide that came on the motorhome originally. Wife an I both looking forward to getting it out on the road soon.
Jim & Angel
1987 Winnebago Elandan 37RQ
Kentucky

jbragg

Oz; Not sure what I had..... Winnebago says it came factory with what they called a P30 Superide spring assist suspension. I have hydralic levelers.  No sign of factory air bags or compressor. PO had installed air bags on front with manual fill valve. I'm planning on installing a set on drive axle with a compressor. Still have to figure out tag axle. Not sure what was on there from factory and can't find part number for shocks for tag. I do know that according to Winnebago the motorhome has a Jet Company tag axle. I still haven't had a chance to contact Jet Co. and talk with them. Been busy with work. Suspension is the last big hurdle I have to complete. Right now I'm doing alot of reading and alot of asking..... The rest I'm wingin'.  D:oH!
Jim & Angel
Kentucky

cook elandan

Hello, I also have a '89 37 RQ with the Tag. Your rear bedroom is setup different than mine. Mine had water damage from where the aluminum roof had pitted out at the luggage rack and leaked in. The PO had it for parts he was using to rebuild the 2000.  He wouldn't sell that one to me instead...man what a nice coach.  He only took the leveling system, generator and compressor from the rear air ride.  I got the coach for 1200.  Not bad, for what I was going to have to pay to refurb my 85 elandan that i have also.  So I am going to take some of the part off it to finish out the '89 elandan.    On my 89 the tag self levels.  It has a compressor(mine missing) that fills a storage tank mounted between tag axle.  There is adjuster linkage for you to set for the height you want it to rear to ride at.  It has valves that add or remove air depending on the level of the ground.  so if i were to park where the tag is lower that the drive axle, it would try to add air to get it back to set level and so on.  My compressor is located under the bath sink.  there are controls on the left side of the drivers seat (mine is missing) that added in the leveling of the coach..
I am hoping to keep tabs on this post to see how thing are going with your coach and may work them in to mine.
Thanks
Darrin

Rickf1985

Quote from: jbragg on March 16, 2015, 09:39 PM
Oz; Not sure what I had..... Winnebago says it came factory with what they called a P30 Superide spring assist suspension. I have hydralic levelers.  No sign of factory air bags or compressor. PO had installed air bags on front with manual fill valve. I'm planning on installing a set on drive axle with a compressor. Still have to figure out tag axle. Not sure what was on there from factory and can't find part number for shocks for tag. I do know that according to Winnebago the motorhome has a Jet Company tag axle. I still haven't had a chance to contact Jet Co. and talk with them. Been busy with work. Suspension is the last big hurdle I have to complete. Right now I'm doing alot of reading and alot of asking..... The rest I'm wingin'.  D:oH!

Does the front axle have a set of leaf springs that are cut in half at the axle and a truck style air bag mounted on top of the axle? That is the Jet ride suspension. I have that on mine. The controls are on the dash, lower left of the steering column. The manuals for the Jet Ride are in the manual section on the site here.

After reading this again this morning I think I need to add I that mean the forward rear axle, not the front steering axle.

jbragg

Finally was able to get under the motorhome and the tag axle and air ride system was manufatured by a American Carrier System. Data plate on tag axle says superide on it manufaturing date of March 1987. Web page show the exact system that is under the motorhome. Can still get parts and complete systems from them. Now just have to inventory what was left and what is needed. Here's the link for the website if anyone wants to check it out.

http://superide1.com/index.html
Jim & Angel
Kentucky

jbragg

Just got off the phone with the people at American Carrier. They are checking on all the parts numbers and should get back to me in a couple of days. All the parts are still available for the system. According to the person I spoke with on the phone they built alot of these suspensions for Winnebago and some other manufacturers. Winnebago provided the compressors and the controls, ACS just provided the air ride suspension.   

Jim & Angel
Kentucky

Rickf1985

That is interesting. If I am seeing it right the air springs lift the end of the leaf springs, is that correct? I like the idea of a bag failure reverts to a leaf spring. The leaf springs must be different from standard units because it would ride too high if you lifted regular springs up, these springs must sit lower then a regular leaf sprung unit.

jbragg

The springs extend out past the drive axle. Instead of being cut in half like the JetCo appears they are more like a 3/4 set of spring. The drive axle still has shocks. The tag axle has shocks as well, but the are for extension, not compression. They are there to prevent over extension which would or could tear the air bag.
Jim & Angel
Kentucky

Rickf1985

Here is the Jet-Ride on mine, it is raised all the way up because I was working on it. I will try to get better pictures in the future, too muddy right now.

jbragg

That's a different set up than mine. The bags are centered between the axle and under the coach.
Jim & Angel
Kentucky

Rickf1985

Oh that is under the coach believe me! D:oH! I was a pretzel trying to get that picture. I only have a single axle though. So your bags are in between the axles? One bag controls both axles on one side? I would like to see that in person.

jbragg

If you make it down KY way Rick, stop in and check it out. The snow has finally stopped here. I'll try and get some better pictures when I get under there to replace air bags.
Jim & Angel
Kentucky

Rickf1985

If I make it down to Kentucky I will be staying there for sure! :D