Removing & replacement front marker lights - 89 Chieftain

Started by JerryP, March 03, 2015, 09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryP

Does anybody know what kind of bulbs are used in an 89 Chieftain exterior 5 marker lights over the windshield,
Even better.... How do they come out???
I can't get them out, and I don't actually know if they push down twist, pull out, unscrew, or what the magic is.

Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress

TerryH

Can't say. Some  push down, twist, pull out, unscrew, depends on the bulb number.
Two recommendations here:
first - any lighting upgrade, interior or exterior, consider LED lights. Your entire power system will appreciate it.
second - sounds as though you are dealing with exterior marking lights.
They are one of the most common sources of leaks, and probably the most difficult source to determine.
Any work you do regarding these lights, check and recheck all sealants.
Suggestion only
Terry
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

FastGlassman69

Hey Jerry, let me know when you find out, mine work but looking at some new LEDS on ebay , Thanx, Bobby ;)

Rickf1985

I have looked at mine but somebody glues them in with sealant and luckily they are all working. They are recessed into the body and from the research I have done in the past finding replacements is going to be very hard. They are an odd size, just like everything else on a Winnebago.

tiinytina

Mine take 2 different types of bulbs (17 marker lights total- ugh).  Some wired in series some not and no logic to it.... I've switched out more than a few over time.  All I can tell you is if the base is round its usually a pin type, push/twist.  Flat base is usually simple pull. The ones I replaced were because the bulbs corroded into the holder and crushing the bulb and pulling the pieces out revealed corrosion that was not cleanable. 

But yea seal/reseal as best you possibly can with silicone or etrnabond/caulk etc...
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

circleD

Regardless of the make and bulb style we all have one thing in common. If you haven't done it already there's going to be corrosion, rust, and brittle parts due to age. I spent ALOT of time for each light and soaked the bulb with penetrating fluid and scrubbing. So take your time and be patient. That's my 2 cents.

JerryP

I am in the process of changing them all over to LED.
I simply cannot get those little ##### out, and hoped it was me, and not a bunch of corrosion

The current draw with all those incandescent lights on is huge.
I have loose belt I need to tighten, which is on the list, but it squeals when the lights are on, and subsides when the lights are off, which testifies to the huge current draw.
Jerry P
A work in progress

Rickf1985

If you leave that belt loose too long it will groove the pulley on the alternator and then you will never get it to stop squealing and it will wear out new belts very quickly.. If just turning the lights on makes it squeal then the belt is REALLY loose.

JerryP

Agree,
Humid weather is when it is bad, it is, and has been too cold to be out there for busting knuckles on cold metal.
Jerry P
A work in progress

gpw9552

Jerry

I'm sure you had a good time just getting to those little suckers.  The sloped windshield makes it quite challenge.

Rickf1985

Laying on the roof, much easier to get to, still didn't see how to get into them but since they are working I did not want to dig too deep. That is why I am also hoping to see if anyone else has done them. The 89's are new compared to most on here so us "Youngsters" have to feel our way around. :D :D

tiinytina

The front markers on my tiffin 87 are way fun to work on.. not.  some are flat mounted into the alcove around them holes big enough for just the wires, some had a circular cut out. Like they picked the fixtures out of a hat before install.  no rhyme or reason, then again I'm electrically inept other than flipping over wires from old to new...  Lowering front bunk and opening access panels didn't do much to get at the wiring either. Nice to have second person on inside to turn them on and off when you need to test them.  Sealed and resealed all of them, had the windshield also resealed professionally, and yup.. STILL have a small leak somewhere... its always something... next flips will move to LED now that the prices have come down...  17 is a chunk of change...

FastGlassman69

Tina I have been looking on ebay in the comercial truck parts section in parts&accessories, they have a set of 5 leds for like $48 free shipping that look like they might fit . I might spring for them when I get back from Florida as mine are pretty dim.Bobby

JerryP

Quote from: FastGlassman69 on March 04, 2015, 09:13 PM
Tina I have been looking on ebay in the comercial truck parts section in parts&accessories, they have a set of 5 leds for like $48 free shipping that look like they might fit . I might spring for them when I get back from Florida as mine are pretty dim.Bobby
Play around on amazon, or Ebay, and you can buy them for less than 2 bucks a piece, for a 48, 0r 60 LED disc.
that is what i have been using in my Chieftain. I have about 25 bucks in my interior lights, which are all LED now

Jerry P
A work in progress

JerryP

Finally got the little @#$ out.
Finally got enough of a grip to pull it out.
Anyway, it comes with the LED kits on Amazon, and Ebay.
all the Led plates i have are too large, so I will have to order 5 right size, or shave a row off the LED plate

Jerry P
A work in progress

gadgetman

they also make 194 led bulbs too, the flat style work well.

FastGlassman69

The ones I was looking at were complete marker light assemblies off a Freightliner or International, they are flat like ours if the dimensions are close i'd go for them! Bobby

JerryP

I just ordered a 10 pack of these T10 LED bulbs for 8 bucks from amazon.
Thought about new assemblies, but felt it was sort of reinventing the wheel, for no appreciative difference

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00877SL2M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jerry P
A work in progress

Rickf1985

So how are they held into the body? Mine are so gooped up with sealer I cant see anything.

JerryP

two philips screws, one on each side.
had the same issue, had to dig them out of the silicon

Jerry P
A work in progress

FastGlassman69

Quote from: JerryP on March 08, 2015, 11:28 PM
two philips screws, one on each side.
had the same issue, had to dig them out of the silicon
The more I think about it , you are right about trying to reinvent the wheel, I'm going to just order those bulbs and clean up the lenses the best I can and reseal them! Thanks for the reality check! There are many other more practical things to do! Bobby :)ThmbUp

Rickf1985

I would love to find new lenses that fit the recesses since at least one of mine is cracked. Where did you find the correct size? I could not find any that would fit in the recess or they were way too small.

JerryP

Winnebago has an amazing array of old parts,
I have a couple of chipped ones, and will be calling them after the dog show is finished this week

As you see below, there is a difference, the bright ones are LED
Jerry P
A work in progress

tiinytina

Nice I may have to take a look at those just bulbs vs fixtures... 

Rickf1985

Quote from: JerryP on March 12, 2015, 03:35 PM
Winnebago has an amazing array of old parts,
I have a couple of chipped ones, and will be calling them after the dog show is finished this week

As you see below, there is a difference, the bright ones are LED

Yes Winnebago does have an amazing array of old parts and they are all made of 24K gold!