'87 Winnebago Elandan

Started by jbragg, March 01, 2015, 09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbragg

Seeing as I've already asked a ton of questions, I thought I would post a few picture of the "87 Elandan the wife and I purchased last December. Pulled all the carpet out and installed hardwood floor. Repaired wall in bedroom, rebuilt both curio cabinets, and put new tops on night stands. Ordering Bilstein shocks, air lift air bags and compressor next week. Still need fire marshal's inspection and reseal the roof. Will post more later. Any advise or recommendations welcome and thanks for all the advise and help so far.
Jim & Angel
1987 Winnebago Elandan 37RQ
Kentucky

jbragg

Jim & Angel
Kentucky

Lefty

I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Froggy1936

With all that overhang You will have to learn to drive all over again .  Warning, Do not park along side any walls !! $@!#@!  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

TerryH

Agree with Frank re the overhang. From the photo it appears huge.
Fire Marshall inspection?
Terry
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

jbragg

I'll be sure to stay away from the walls. Bigger problem's going to be be teaching the wife to drive.
Terry: I bought the coach in TN. Because it was bought out of state, KY requires a fire marshall's inspection. They check smoke, carbon, and gas detectors, electrical, and also check for gas leaks.
Jim & Angel
Kentucky

Froggy1936

My Mini has the Kentucky fire medalion on it ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

TerryH

Never heard of that. Great idea though.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

M & J

We  bought ours in West Virginia and had no idea we had to get ours inspected when bringing it to Kentucky. Jbragg and I exchanged PMs about it. Our RV dealer near the house told us what they would be checking so we were prepared. All safety items related to the coach, nothing about the chassis though. And you need that inspection certificate or you cant get it titled and tagged here. Wasnt a big deal as long as you know in advance whats on the inspection sheet.
M & J

jbragg

One of the curio cabinets and nightstands we rebuilt.
Jim & Angel
Kentucky

jbragg

Jim & Angel
Kentucky

LJ-TJ

Man! When you talk about a house on wheels your not kidding.Man that thing is huge. Going to half to watch the kick out on the rear end when you turn a corner. Shoot the wife could go back to the bathroom and you wouldn't see her for a month. :)rotflmao D:oH!

gpw9552

Jim
When you finish you can come out to AZ and finish my 87 Chieftain W%

Nice job.  Mine's a 33' single axle.  As far as teaching the wife, keep telling her to remember that she is sitting over the front axle so go a little deeper into the turn.  If there 2 turn lanes always use the outside one and she will have no problems.

jbragg

I think that is what the wife likes about it. She can go to the back and leave me to drive. She would only have to come up front to change the movie for the grandkids. :)

I think she will do ok driving, just take some getting used to. I drive big truck all the time (lineman by trade), so for me, no problem. She drives a car all the time. Will be a big change for her. Just have to get her out and let practice...... in a big parking lot with no cars. Wouldn't mind AZ, beats the  $@!#@!  out of all this snow right now.

Now comes the big question. This is the first RV we have ever owned and I'm not sure what is concidered a good price on anything. So, right now, I'm in about $7000 for everything. With about another $1500 to go. Good or bad? Obviously I understand what is good for one may not be for the other. Just curious what these things are going for these days.
Jim & Angel
Kentucky

LJ-TJ

jbragg

Doesn't look like I'm hurt too bad then. Most of those were 32 and 35, ours is a 37RQ, and all about what I've got invested so far. Big thing... Mama's happy. If she's happy we're all happy! :)clap :)
Jim & Angel
Kentucky

Schmitti

Madness RIG - Congratulations you to the traveling family house  :)ThmbUp .
In Germany by the size hardly mobile  :laugh:

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

cosmic

yes I noticed none of those rigs have the tag axle... that's a huge Bugger...

jbragg

Nightstands, curio cabinets, and overhead cabinet refinished and installed. Bedroom finally finished. Shocks, air bags, and stuff to seal rood on order. Then cross our fingers and hope everything else works right.
Jim & Angel
Kentucky

LJ-TJ

Man did you ever do a nice job on those. They look like they were an option. Sweet.

jbragg

Thanks! Appreciate the compliments.

Jim & Angel
Kentucky

4-Paws

I just LOVE the 37 footers, your Elandan became the Elante a few years later. These were fun to drive and to me this model line was to motor homes as Corvettes are to cars. GM P-30 chassied motor homes tend to be overloaded or nearly overloaded on the front axle, especially the left front. The massive overhang is to help lighten the front axle of the coach, sort of like a kid's teeter-totter. I will admit that steep driveways can be a pain and even with rear castor wheelie wheels installed you can high center one of these. I did that once at a McDonalds restaurant; had to get a wrecker to pull me backwards enough to get my drive axle back on terra-firma. Enjoy your coach...it's a beauty!

Oz

The discussion about the air suspension has been split and posted on the Chevy Chassis Board since it went in-depth into the topic.

:)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Baseballride351

I had to do a double take. The only thing I noticed different was the barn or garage behind in your picture that mad me realize you had not taken a picture of mine. Even the pine tree in the background looks like mine.
Draxxe Them Sklaunts

Oz

Quote from: Baseballride351 on August 01, 2021, 09:30 PM
I had to do a double take. The only thing I noticed different was the barn or garage behind in your picture that mad me realize you had not taken a picture of mine. Even the pine tree in the background looks like mine.

Freaky, right? Lol!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca